Shopping Discussion

Costco returns - Do you need original box?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2016 12:18 am
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

Costco returns - Do you need original box?

Box for an item I bought is huge and taking up so much space and I'd like to get rid of it if I can. I have no intention of returning the item, but I also don't want to screw myself over by discarding the box if I ever do need to return it.
This space for rent.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Could you just flatten the box and retape it if you ever did need to return?

At the very least, if you do decide to recycle the box, cut out the UPC and keep that.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Mike15 wrote: Could you just flatten the box and retape it if you ever did need to return?
What about all the styrofoam or other structured spacers, etc.?

For me the need to store original packaging doesn't necessarily apply to Costco but rather to other retailers who require that I return a defective product to the manufacturer for repair/replacement. If I reuse original packaging and the item arrives damaged they can't blame me. If I use some random cardboard box then they can and will.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
I had to return 4 of those crappy Sunbeam LED bulbs -- the box (well,technically cardboard backing) claimed they'd last up to 10 years but they were all dead after 5 months. So I brought the 4 burned-out LED bulbs back, no box, no receipt, still got the refund. Returns lady said "you're lucky to get 1 year" so I said "I wouldn't have bought them if the box said that!".

I noticed Costco (or at least the one I go to) no longer carries that LED, probably got a lot of returns.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1436 posts
464 upvotes
Why don't you call Costco and ask them?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
I returned a Dyson fan after 6 months with no box. It was defective and they took it back with no fuss
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
2660 posts
3149 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hvwozq wrote: People get refunds when the item itself is missing (e.g. eaten cakes), you think you'll need the box? :lol:
hahaha

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)