• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 7:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2096 posts
4121 upvotes
Ontario

[Costco] Roku Streaming Stick + ($39.97)

I know we all have a thousand streaming devices. But this seems lower than anywhere else

Roku Streaming Stick+ (4K) for $39.97

Photo:
PXL_20201028_222330426.jpg
75 replies
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3625 posts
1581 upvotes
Toronto
ooooooo i think they're adding airplay to the roku 4k
May 12, 2020
21 posts
6 upvotes
Would be great if you could put Kodi on it
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13357 posts
24890 upvotes
Invest in other platforms ( fire stick , ChromecastGoogle TV etc ) , Roku is useless in Canada
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2001
3185 posts
821 upvotes
stephroll wrote: Invest in other platforms ( fire stick , ChromecastGoogle TV etc ) , Roku is useless in Canada
What? I use my Roku every day here in Canada, thank you. Works great, perhaps you should consider offering your opinion as just that, instead of fact.
I also have a firestick, and some devices with google tv.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13357 posts
24890 upvotes
dvdvideo wrote: What? I use my Roku every day here in Canada, thank you. Works great, perhaps you should consider offering your opinion as just that, instead of fact.
I have a Roku TV , I use fire stick 4K because I can side load on it
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1336 posts
1447 upvotes
stephroll wrote: Invest in other platforms ( fire stick , ChromecastGoogle TV etc ) , Roku is useless in Canada
I have this built-in to my TV so kinda like free, but there are some channels you can add for free TV, News ... not sure if they're just same Google Play Apps ...

Stuff like ROKU Channel, Bloomberg News, Global TV, CNN, etc ... they have a built-in media player, but it doesn't decode DTS and some other audio formats ...
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1339 posts
622 upvotes
I have Roku stick, Roku tv, fire TV, and fire TV stick.
The fire TV os is way better than the Roku if you want to do more than just watch the basic apps included ie. Chrome
Last edited by ditachan on Oct 28th, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4173 posts
1490 upvotes
Durham Region
I'd go for the Firestick 4k or the new Chromecast over this. The flexibility is worth a few bucks more.
Apr 18, 2017
769 posts
1541 upvotes
dvdvideo wrote: What? I use my Roku every day here in Canada, thank you. Works great, perhaps you should consider offering your opinion as just that, instead of fact.
Ha! Roku is the most solid if you only use the main streaming apps. It just works.

My Fire Stick 4Ks are awful. Drops connections like crazy and has no Play Store options (unless using toolbox). The Chromecast 2020 is a joke too. I was pumped for it, but it's so slow and no user switching.
Aug 8, 2010
290 posts
192 upvotes
Quebec
Roku support Netflix and Prime flawlessly, that’s all I use. Thanks!
Sep 3, 2014
868 posts
904 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
I have several Roku boxes and sticks. They just work. But mine are all UK models as they enable viewing of UK channels on normal TVs (with the aid of a SmartDNS). Canadian/US ones won't download UK channels - and there's no hack to enable it.

The problem with the Sticks is that the remotes are wifi and don't use IR like the boxes do. It means its difficult to combine remotes and the wifi remote sensitivity is poor.
Jul 4, 2018
592 posts
489 upvotes
If this was offered last month i would have bought it. I was looking for it. It's a good price but ive recently bought the new chromecast
Put some resphek on my name!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1124 posts
429 upvotes
Abbotsford
CorSter wrote: I'd go for the Firestick 4k or the new Chromecast over this. The flexibility is worth a few bucks more.
FireTV is loaded with Banner ad's which sucks balls. I had FireTV's in my home (before they launched in Canada) they were great. As soon as the ad's arrived I jumped ship. I mostly use the Shield TV, but the Roku is a great streaming player.

Unfortunately I haven't' seen Roku stocked at any Costco locations in the BC Lower Mainland
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2008
1017 posts
704 upvotes
Too many commercials with Roku and the volume always jumps on commercials about 10x. 10x is a guess, but it's very loud.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1174 posts
1107 upvotes
Ottawa
User131439 wrote: Ha! Roku is the most solid if you only use the main streaming apps. It just works.

My Fire Stick 4Ks are awful. Drops connections like crazy and has no Play Store options (unless using toolbox). The Chromecast 2020 is a joke too. I was pumped for it, but it's so slow and no user switching.
Not sure how Chromecast is slow. Mine is lightning fast. Do you mean opening apps? Switching between them?
Jun 23, 2017
436 posts
845 upvotes
Roku's biggest weakness is not being part of a larger ecosystem. Fire TV, Google TV offer native integration to other devices within their ecosystem, on top of streaming capabilities.
It really has no future, it will likely disappear in the next couple of years.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2411 posts
2263 upvotes
Ottawa
Roku is great for when you need something simple that does the basics like Netflix - e.g., for parents who struggle with new stuff, or for when a smart TV is getting old but the display still works fine (again, especially for someone whose smart TV is already Roku and they'd with something new).
I am a current Koodo customer
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5649 posts
1381 upvotes
Roku is simple and just works. My mom even knows how to work it and she is so technically challenged.

Remote without direct line of sight, big buttons, big icons on the screen, consistent interface with the different apps.

Anything we can't find in one of the apps, I just download on my PC and stream to the Roku via Plex.