[Costco] Saeco Moltio Super Automatic Espresso machine $699

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2019 12:37 pm
[OP]
May 18, 2007
259 posts
419 upvotes

[Costco] Saeco Moltio Super Automatic Espresso machine $699

Discontinued model but it got solid reviews and you have Costco warranty/returns. I believe this used to sell for >$1000 when it came out.
43 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17805 posts
1373 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Word of advice from someone with a super-automatic espresso machine (not this model, but another one in the Saeco/Gaggia family) - don't use either Starbucks beans or Kirkland Signature beans. They're both far too oily for the grinders in these machines to handle.

Costco.ca has Ethical Bean company, which seems to be good for super-espresso machines, especially the purple-colored "Lush" flavour.
On a whim I bought Balzac's "espresso" roast beans and they seem to be fine also.

Note that if you ever need to clean out the coffee grinder on one of these machines, you'll need to use a vacuum cleaner lol.
Feb 20, 2014
136 posts
88 upvotes
i have a super-automatic espresso machine, and use the Java club coffee from costco (in store much cheaper than online) and don't have a problem with the grinder from oily beans.
https://www.costco.ca/Java-Club-100%25- ... 68863.html

I used to use the Ethical Bean Lush beans, and still found it to be too greasy. Java club seems to do the trick
Aug 28, 2004
281 posts
295 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: Word of advice from someone with a super-automatic espresso machine (not this model, but another one in the Saeco/Gaggia family) - don't use either Starbucks beans or Kirkland Signature beans. They're both far too oily for the grinders in these machines to handle.
I remember watching a YouTube video about this and they said same thing. And I've experienced exactly this. The only work around I've found helpful is to remove the bean tray, shake it, and then slightly push the metal slide in bottom over before you reinstall. Gives me another few grinds without problem, as I refused to throw the beans away.

But otherwise saeco has a great machine.

Also, worth noting, maintenance is key to a longer life for these machines. I use both the aqua filter all the time and do the descaling as the machine reminds me.
The supplies are all avail for order online. The added expense is still saved over buying pods for nespresso etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1372 posts
1992 upvotes
Toronto :)
I use medium and light roast kicking horse beans (favourite is three sisters) and usually stock up during amazon sales
Deals never wait for people, only people wait for deals.
Buy now, think later.
[OP]
May 18, 2007
259 posts
419 upvotes
jrs101 wrote: I remember watching a YouTube video about this and they said same thing. And I've experienced exactly this. The only work around I've found helpful is to remove the bean tray, shake it, and then slightly push the metal slide in bottom over before you reinstall. Gives me another few grinds without problem, as I refused to throw the beans away.

But otherwise saeco has a great machine.

Also, worth noting, maintenance is key to a longer life for these machines. I use both the aqua filter all the time and do the descaling as the machine reminds me.
The supplies are all avail for order online. The added expense is still saved over buying pods for nespresso etc.
Exatcly this. Maintenance is key to keeping these machines running. We use brita filtered water in the machine and takeout the machine filter to save on costs. Amazon also sells the descaling powder in a large container that lasts for several years of use with regular descaling.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2537 posts
2085 upvotes
Montreal, QC
wonginator wrote: Exatcly this. Maintenance is key to keeping these machines running. We use brita filtered water in the machine and takeout the machine filter to save on costs. Amazon also sells the descaling powder in a large container that lasts for several years of use with regular descaling.
Absolutely.. I have a nearly 12 + year old Saeco Vienna Deluxe, and it still works like a charm. Only part I've ever needed to change was a power filter which fried (but I think that was due to the neutral from Hydro which was bad a few years back, and we had quite a few power spikes). Anyhow, it wasn't too pricey.. I think it cost about $20, and I replaced it myself.
I usually use the "williams spartivento" coffee beans that costco sells. It's pretty decent every day coffee for the price.
I always use filtered water (we have a single-stage undersink GE Smart Water filter for drinking water at home), so even for descaling, I only do it 2 or 3 times a year (sometimes 4). I buy the DezCal 7oz bag from amazon, which comes out pretty cheap, and last quite a while. I only make 1L at a time when I descale, but I use the proportions typically written on the single use packs (which is 1oz (28g)/L of water. 1 Pack easily lasts over a year. I keep it in my wish list, and buy a bag as a filler if I'm not at my $35 amazon free shipping mark. I use the same product for descaling my Keurig and regular coffee machines at the office, so it doesn't go to waste anyhow.

If this machine ever fails, I'd probably still buy another Saeco. Overall, I've been happy with it, and has a very simple mechanism.

I also have a Mokita combi (same as Lelit pl042) machine (as a backup), which served me well for many years... But laziness set in, and I decided to get the Saeco. I just no longer had the patience in the mornings :)
Sep 18, 2018
86 posts
237 upvotes
Go this machine last week and absolutely love it. Kinda kicking myself for drinking from a keurig all these years.
Easily just as convenient, way more versatile, and the coffee is light years ahead.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1872 posts
1733 upvotes
Montréal
Pro and cons vs new gen nespresso machines, cost, taste, convenience?
Nov 19, 2016
462 posts
248 upvotes
Subscribed . Wondering if this is worth the price. Only other affordable option is the breville which folks have said isn't that reliable and warranty headaches
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1520 posts
973 upvotes
Montreal
Another satisfied Moltio user, got it a year ago it is a great deal at this price. Read the manual once to understand automatic grinder adjustment and maintenance required. They last a long time when properly cared for.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2246 posts
1758 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a different model, but highly recommend the brand. The only time I had a minor issue with the unit (a screw fell out of the milk carafe), I experienced fantastic customer service (they shipped me a replacement within a week). I have been using the Lavazza Crema e Aroma beans from Costco and have a backlog of a few KG of KIcking Horse coffees which will be the next up. Similar to what others have said, avoid using dark roast with these machines.

Depending on how much coffee your household drinks and how much you value a decent cup of coffee, I'd say the payback period for a machine like this can be as little as one year.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1327 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
Amazing - bought it when it came out and still kicking!
Jan 23, 2013
147 posts
148 upvotes
Something to keep in mind before $700: Lever espresso machines last generations, quality semi-automatics last upwards of 20 years, full automatics will last past the warranty, but there are simply too many moving parts for true longevity.
Jul 15, 2013
47 posts
21 upvotes
Stouffville
Just my two cents regarding coffee, I am not an expert but am a WOP who drinks lots of espresso each day. These guys are not cheap but their coffee is excellent and shipping is included if you spend $30 or more.

https://www.socialcoffee.com/
Nov 1, 2003
967 posts
385 upvotes
I too have an older Saeco machine and I love it :)
Salesperson
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1617 posts
310 upvotes
Does this have a manual wand frother or is it automatic? Not sure what "classic milk frother" means exactly.