Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Samsung 36" Refrigerator $1999.97 (8900909)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2022 7:25 pm
Jan 2, 2017
909 posts
1273 upvotes
hansdoreen wrote: My LG ($2k+ model) broke a little after a year. Paid like 500$+ to have the linear compressor replaced.
Didn't yours come with a 10 year warranty on compressor? I believe most of the fridges have them nowadays, luckily my LG one did.
May 10, 2015
261 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto, ON
simplypop wrote: Do not buy Samsung. Full stop. Period. End of story.
Friends don't let friends buy Samsung fridge!
Nov 1, 2015
609 posts
288 upvotes
BC
simplypop wrote: Do not buy Samsung. Full stop. Period. End of story.
Agreed. Our samsung electric range needed the entire circuit board for the controls replaced 3 years after purchase. The Samsung fridge which was bought at the same time has issues with the fan freezing up and it's only 4 years old. Have spent weeks trying to fix the issue with temporary fixes. Samsung for TV's yes but appliances hell no.

As for LG we have had their dishwasher for 11 years have had no issues with it. It was one of their top models although.
Apr 4, 2013
112 posts
47 upvotes
I have Samsung fridge. 10+ years old. French doors and ice maker. I just replaced an inverter board (controls compressor and is the smaller of the 2 motherboards) a few months. A couple of tips on buying appliances that I was told:

1. Go to quality appliance dealers/store and ask rep what’s reliable. Ask salesperson what fridge you don’t see comeback for repairs.
2. Ice makers or I like to call them ice breakers are another point of failure. Ice trays or ice bins are the way to go. My icemaker has been fine. Take the time to clean out old and trapped ice every month or so.
3. Don’t be fixated on a brand. Samsung has been good to me. But shetty to others.
4. Put the purchase of fridge on a quality credit card that has extended warranty. May save you
5. If you find a fridge you like, check out the reviews on YouTube. If you see a repair video on it. Maybe you should avoid.
6. I find the more the bells and whistles to a fridge, the more chance for repairs.
7. Go to marketplace/Craigslist/Kijjii? and see what fridge brand people are ditching.
8. I hope everyone can agree that appliances aren't what they use to be. If you can get 10 years out of appliance be happy. That's what the going rate is.

Good luck.
Last edited by bumbo73 on Aug 10th, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 7, 2004
400 posts
66 upvotes
ontario
We have a 3-4 month old LG and sometimes it makes a loud buzzing noise for 10-15 seconds, which doesn't inspire much confidence. We haven't been able to isolate the problem but it seems to happen on warmer days.
could have = could've ≠ could of
May 28, 2007
334 posts
300 upvotes
CALGARY
xXKEIXx wrote: KitchenAid has been pretty good.
I have full KitchenAid in the house where the Fridge had lost refrigerant, Microwave produces error codes, and the left side of the induction stove blew out.

To be honest, it's the specific models that need to be researched before purchase, not the brand. Every single brand is in on this bullshit called planned obsolescence.
Feb 13, 2019
189 posts
59 upvotes
Great Fridge if you want to look at it
If you want it to cool your food. Yea don’t buy
Aug 9, 2021
9 posts
2 upvotes
I’ve had several large and small Frigidaire appliances which have been total junk. Frigidaire refused to stand by their warranty and my complaints to their corporate office went unanswered.

I now have several Samsung appliances and they perform far superior to anything Frigidaire I’ve owned.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
2529 posts
2814 upvotes
Frigidaire fridges. one 12 years old, and another 10 years old. Still going strong. Panasonic microwave 11 years old. Still going.

Yes, I've heard tons of bad reviews on Samsungs. I, unfortunately, own their washer and dryer. But, it hasn't broken down yet. It's about 11 years old and still going. But then again, It is only used 2x every 2 to 3 weeks. So I guess less wear and tear.
Nov 1, 2015
609 posts
288 upvotes
BC
Allen84 wrote: Frigidaire fridges. one 12 years old, and another 10 years old. Still going strong. Panasonic microwave 11 years old. Still going.

Yes, I've heard tons of bad reviews on Samsungs. I, unfortunately, own their washer and dryer. But, it hasn't broken down yet. It's about 11 years old and still going. But then again, It is only used 2x every 2 to 3 weeks. So I guess less wear and tear.
My parents have a Panasonic microwave that still works and it's about 33 years old. I checked the inner label and it turn out it was made in Japan. They stopped using it and bought a newer Panasonic but still keep the old one as backup.
Feb 25, 2021
5 posts
7 upvotes
Do they still have it online? I cant find any? If I go tonstore, will that help?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2001
3271 posts
912 upvotes
Samsung fridge that ices up here, won't be buying samsung again. Also had a samsung dishwasher that died. Plus my samsung stove sometimes gives thermometer error and the samsung logo litterally rubbed off.

10yr old lg washer and dryer, flawless so far.
Lg range microwave, 4 yrs old, flawless.
6 month old dishwasher, lg, so far so good, gets dishes cleaner and has more room.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1403 posts
433 upvotes
dealqu wrote: Compressor in my LG fridge died on me a little over 3+ years. However, they have this out of warranty program at https://lgoutofwarranty.ca/en/main/home.do. It's a fixed price of $250 and that was parts+labour included.
This flat rate service was the reason I bought LG fridge!
😃
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1561 posts
476 upvotes
Bedford
S1 wrote: Our ten year old Samsung refrigerator works great, except that every six months, it stops refrigerating because the blower has iced over. There are defrosting coils in there and everything, but they don't prevent this ice buildup, because they're too far away from the blower.

I ended up working around the problem by putting the fridge into force defrost mode to warm the surrounding air up a bit, enabling demo mode for a few hours to allow the ice to melt, enabling force defrost again at the end for good measure, and disabling the demo mode.

The fridge doesn't give you any way to tell if demo mode is on or not, and the magic shortcut to turn it on is a toggle, so more than once, I've accidentally left the fridge in demo mode overnight and come back in the morning to find it approaching room temperature.

Should you buy anything made by Samsung? Probably not, I'd say.
I have had the same problem with my 12 year old Samsung Fridge. I have the same problem with my icing up around the fan. Every 6 months or so I have to take the inside panel off, melt all the ice with a hairdryer, then put it all back together. Its pretty much a 2 hour job. Royal PITA. The upside is that my Samsung Fridge, dishwasher and stove have lasted 12 years with the help of youtube multiple times for each of them.

Kinda looking for a package deal atm to replace them all. With the supply shortages, not sure when that will be.
Aug 11, 2014
870 posts
966 upvotes
Nites07 wrote: My parents have a Panasonic microwave that still works and it's about 33 years old. I checked the inner label and it turn out it was made in Japan. They stopped using it and bought a newer Panasonic but still keep the old one as backup.
My parents still use a 26 year old Panasonic microwave that's made in the USA. Also a ~30 year old GE fridge made in Canada. You just can't find stuff like this anymore these days.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3510 posts
3489 upvotes
dealqu wrote: Compressor in my LG fridge died on me a little over 3+ years. However, they have this out of warranty program at https://lgoutofwarranty.ca/en/main/home.do. It's a fixed price of $250 and that was parts+labour included.
Thx didn’t know about this

My last LG fridge did die after 4 years. What they told me was they were expected to last 10 years and therefore provided me with a “credit” of the remainder of the lifetime. I.e. 6/10 x my original purchase price. Can only be used on LG (obviously) fridge and only at the store (Lowe’s) of original purchase (must be at that specific store too). I took it. Hesitant at first to get another LG but did it anyway. It’s been around 5 or 6 years now since. So far ok. Touch wood.
Mar 8, 2009
257 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Team Samsung fridges suck checking in.

Fridge on my dual-compressor model stopped working for a month, Samsung recommended a repair company who came out barely looked at it, and said they didn't know how to fix it, then estimated me $600 for a new compressor without even checking if there was an issue with the compressor.

Fridge started working again on the day my new fridge arrived.

Screw Samsung.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1485 posts
1682 upvotes
Ottawa
TLSRULZ wrote: My comment is how easy it is to get parts for the other makes vs LG/Samsung and do the repair yourself with youtube.
I've had experience with a 5.5yr Samsung Fridge that needed a new main board.. it was discontinued model.. yes 5.5 yrs later no more parts.. I could get a used part off ebay.
I've had a 8yr LG washer that needed replacement.. Called LG they have fixed fee repair.. I think it was $200.. guess what.. they cannot find the part that was required.. at least they only charged me $60 for guy to come out and refunded me the $140..

I've found any parts I've ever needed to do repairs here.