Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Samsung 36" Refrigerator $1999.97 (8900909)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 7:06 am
Member
Dec 6, 2012
353 posts
182 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
S0lidus wrote: We’ve had a Samsung French door for 6 years now. The ice machine died after 3 years and we had it replaced under extended warranty. We have family with a kitchen aid that have had major problems with them, including leaking and ruining their hardwood floor.

We have an LG dishwasher that has been repaired 4 times.

Family has an expensive Electrolux induction stove that has died edit: after one year. We had a Samsung stove that kept not lighting and street 5 years of arguing with geek squad and Samsung they finally refunded us. We now have a GE profile double oven gas stove. 5 year warranty. Hope it lasts.

I think it doesn’t matter what brand, just make sure to get an extended warranty. Also GE parts are available in the US, which is normally a good thing except during the pandemic their manufacturing was shut down, but the Korean stuff was more widely available. Ironic.
I agree with the extended warranty. For home appliances like laundry washer, fridge, stoves.... i stick to North American brands like Frigidaire, Maytag, Whirlpool, GE or similar because they seem to last longer.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 28, 2016
1590 posts
6083 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
Friends do not let friends; and fellow RFD'ers do not let fellow RFD's buy Samsung. Absolutely the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality. One may get lucky and squeak by with a few years of non-issues, but rest assured they will come up. From ice boxes, to fans freezing, to ice build up to water leaking...you name it. Samusung is ok for phones and TV's etc. and thats about it. They have no business being in the appliance market. There are countless lawsuits out there for defective Samsung fridges. Price isn't something you get cheap with when it comes to fridges. Its something you use everyday and needs to be the best quality.

SAMSUNG is TRASH! Yeah i said it!
What's in your wallet?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1785 posts
981 upvotes
London
I’ve had terrible experiences with appliances made by electronics companies. Bad deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1896 posts
1103 upvotes
Durham
No issues with my Samsung stuff. My ice maker stopped, I cleared it out and ran a hard dryer on all the lines everything was fixed. 6 years problem free (knock on wood).
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1975 posts
862 upvotes
HK
Wow, after hearing about Samsung experiences, I feel like the exception.

I bought everything Samsung at Costco, and the low end models since they were the cheapest.

All are still going strong after 5 years and are put to use everyday. Only minor issue I had was with the stove, the “on” light stays on.

Considering I didn’t do any research or get the extended warranty..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9185 posts
7255 upvotes
Kitchener
Is this sold out? This is an AMAZING deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2436 posts
2103 upvotes
Ottawa
Samsung appliances seems bad because they are so popular so they have higher volumes of service calls.
Here's an article from a sale/service repair company comparing the service rates of different brands they sold from Jan to Sep 2020 https://blog.yaleappliance.com/are-sams ... s-reliable

That said, I will still avoid Samsung.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2008
3492 posts
4561 upvotes
Oakville
bose wrote:
This flat rate service was the reason I bought LG fridge!
dealqu wrote: Compressor in my LG fridge died on me a little over 3+ years. However, they have this out of warranty program at https://lgoutofwarranty.ca/en/main/home.do. It's a fixed price of $250 and that was parts+labour included.
+1
I have everything LG , washer, dryer, fridge.

Microwave is whirlpool because they make the best microwaves reliability

Bosch for dishwasher

Kitchen aid failure;
In fairness I have had my KitchenAid stove top burners fail after 10 years of daily use.

Samsung dryer (I broke):
I had Samsung heating coil fail after 6 years which I fixed myself with $20 heating coil replacement (the error was related to the exhaust hole of the dryer being clogged so the coil couldn't cool and the element failed. User error.

GE fridge, 10 years later the icer in the bottom freezer is clogged and leaks water everywhere on the floor. Lucky it's a tile floor otherwise it happens everyday.

Lesson:
Take care of your appliances and they will take care of you.


Most of the failures here are because of user abuse and negligence. I go to peoples' homes and they don't give two f4cks about their appliances or tools lol.
Here are real life examples I have come across (because I fix things for friends and family):
-Microwaving plates with metallic foil design on them.
-People not cleaning out the fibre build up in their dryers.
-People not cleaning out their dishwasher filters.
-People not defrosting the freezer that don't have autodefrost,
-people not changing furnace filters
-people leaving dirty oil in gasoline devices over winter and ruining carburetor and causing premature engine wear
-people not putting the correct two stroke oil in trimmers and causing permanent damage to engine.
- people leaving plasma tv on cp24 for a weekend
- people playing with speaker wires causing loud popping noise and shorting amplifier
- people not cleaning the bin of their vacuum cleaners or cleaning the filter.
-people not cleaning the glass stove top which causes a build up of crud which acts as an insulator causing poor thermal conductivity and people complain of poor heating and coil failure.

There is a long list of ignorant shit, and why?
Because people are not trained well, they don't know any better, and no one wants to read the manual.

There should be a mandatory training video for each appliance where they make the Do s and don'ts more accessible to everyone.

People are not idiots, of course, but the lack of understanding is certainly one of the prevalent contributors to Equipment failure. That and of course appliances and cars and everything man made needs to be maintained.

There are occasional design flaws in some models, certainly. But to just blanket label one brand bad over another would not be a responsible assessment.

Best thing to do is read consumer reports and forums.
Or in the case of LG, I don't buy any extended warranty when I know a repair with parts and labour only costs $250 which I pay only if it fails. So far so good.
Last edited by zdpz on Aug 10th, 2021 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 28, 2016
1590 posts
6083 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
zdpz wrote: +1
I have everything LG , washer, dryer, fridge.

Microwave is whirlpool because they make the best microwaves reliability

Bosch for dishwasher

Kitchen aid failure;
In fairness I have had my KitchenAid stove top burners siebafter 10 years of daily use.

Samsung dryer (I broke):
I had Samsung hearing coil siebafter 6 years which I fixed myself with $20 hearing coil replacement (the error was related to the exhaust hole of the dryer being clogged so the coil couldn't cool and the element failed. User error.

GE fridge, 10 years later the icer in the bottom freezer is clogged and leaks water everywhere on the floor. Lucky it's a tile floor otherwise it happens everyday.

Lesson:
Take care of your appliances and they will take care of you.


Most of the failures here are because of user abuse and negligence. There are occasional design flaws in some models, certainly. But to just blanket label one brand bad over another would not be a responsible assessment.

Best thing to do is read consumer reports and forums.
Or in the case of LG, I don't buy any extended warranty when I know a repair with parts and labour only costs $250 which I pay only if it fails. So far so good.
I Disagree with this statement: "Most of the failures here are because of user abuse and negligence. There are occasional design flaws in some models, certainly. But to just blanket label one brand bad over another would not be a responsible assessment."

Ive taken care of my fridge since day one and nothing but problem after problem. Samsung is widely known to be garbage. Way more complaints that compliments on regards to them. I would almost say 75% complaints to 25% compliments which should be more like 5 to 95 when that type of money is being spent.
What's in your wallet?
Member
User avatar
Aug 4, 2019
426 posts
155 upvotes
ONTARIO
Scruffythecat wrote: Ever since Sears closed, where do you even buy Kitchenaid? I loved their products but now parts are having to be sourced from the US for the most part. I’ve heard horror stories about Samsung. My fridge is a really old Amanda that is still going, probably 25 yrs old. It’s due for replacement, but I dread purchasing these days just due to the lack of quality in products
The brick. They even have 0% financing for like 6 years sometimes.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2008
1216 posts
276 upvotes
Montreal
Real friends don't let friend purchase Samsung appliances.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9185 posts
7255 upvotes
Kitchener
We currently own a few Samsung appliances and generally I've been pretty happy with them:

36" Side by Side Fridge - motherboard needed replacement after 8 years - love this fridge, been mostly trouble free
36" 4-door Fridge - no issues
36" French Door Fridge - icemaker freezing up every 6 months - don't love this one (I'd love to sell it and get a different one)
Gas dryer - no issues
Front Load washer - no issues
Electric dryer - no issues
Front Load washer - broken spider bracket (8 years) - fixed myself
Used electric dryer - no issues
Used front load washer - broken spider bracket when I bought it (8 years) - fixed myself - flap still makes a lot of noise when running, should fix one of these days
Induction stove (non-chef collection) - no issues
Used Induction stove (chef collection) - failed cooktop - circuit board required resoldering - fixed myself
Used Induction stove (chef collection) - upper oven non-working - suspect bad relay - haven't fixed yet
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2008
3492 posts
4561 upvotes
Oakville
Spawk1028 wrote: I Disagree with this statement: "Most of the failures here are because of user abuse and negligence. There are occasional design flaws in some models, certainly. But to just blanket label one brand bad over another would not be a responsible assessment."

Ive taken care of my fridge since day one and nothing but problem after problem. Samsung is widely known to be garbage. Way more complaints that compliments on regards to them. I would almost say 75% complaints to 25% compliments which should be more like 5 to 95 when that type of money is being spent.

You're unfortunately a victim like many of Argumentum ad populum.

"Argumentum ad populum is a type of informal fallacy,[1][14] specifically a fallacy of relevance,[15][16] and is similar to an argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam).[14][4][9] It uses an appeal to the beliefs, tastes, or values of a group of people,[12] stating that because a certain opinion or attitude is held by a majority, it is therefore correct.[12][17]

Appeals to popularity are common in commercial advertising that portrays products as desirable because they are used by many people[9] or associated with popular sentiments[18] instead of communicating the merits of the products themselves.

The inverse argument, that something that is unpopular must be flawed, is also a form of this fallacy.[8]"


What problems have you had and where are your sources for these staggering 75-25 figures?

Name me any brand and I will find you enough complaints on it for various models.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2237 posts
882 upvotes
Richmond, ON
simplypop wrote: Do not buy Samsung. Full stop. Period. End of story.
I have had ALL Samsungs for the last 2 houses = 8 years, NO issues at all. Funny thing is that I had LG while waiting for the Samsungs and fridge and dishwasher leaked.

To each their own!
if you don't ask, the answer is always NO!
Jr. Member
Sep 22, 2010
143 posts
110 upvotes
Guelph
simplypop wrote: Do not buy Samsung. Full stop. Period. End of story.
91 Upvotes and counting... this says it all.

I will never buy anything from Samsung again, years ago my LCD TV stopped working just after the warranty expired and I didn't learn from that and bought a Samsung fridge, worst appliance I ever owned... nothing but problems.
Member
Jun 14, 2010
241 posts
63 upvotes
We need a fridge and would prefer to buy from Costco for warranty purposes. Looking for suggestions, this comment may get buried and ignored but worth a shot.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1177 posts
365 upvotes
This thread should be moved to expired. No one knows how to get it or where to get it
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Sr. Member
Jul 3, 2008
816 posts
316 upvotes
boisbriand
lots of stock in boisbriand yesterday but call before going obivi
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
49992 posts
6207 upvotes
Toronto
Phil and Sil wrote: We need a fridge and would prefer to buy from Costco for warranty purposes. Looking for suggestions, this comment may get buried and ignored but worth a shot.
Tough to say, was shopping for a new fridge and seems like they all have their problems lol. If there is extended warranty with Costco for fridges then definitely get it for the peace of mind.

Top