Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Samsung 36" Refrigerator $1999.97 (8900909)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 7:06 am
Sep 5, 2013
186 posts
172 upvotes
Hamilton
How the world has changed when posting a $2000 fridge is considered a deal.
Apr 10, 2006
552 posts
365 upvotes
Emporium wrote: LG stopped distributing genuine LG parts through any 3rd party distributors a few years back. While there are many jobber parts (like I bought a supco drain pump for my washer), the genuine pump can only be bought from LG (or ebay obviously).
When I had a small issue with my LG washer when I fist bought it, LG sent me one of the local techs to replace the control board with a newer version. They were contracted by LG. Then when I had my pump issue (out of warranty) and I went to the local shop to get a replacement pump, they also mentioned to me that they no longer have genuine LG parts since LG decided to do all their own repairs and not provide parts to 3rd parties. I had checked for the LG part at at least 3 different local appliance repairs shops, and same story from all of them. Could only get parts directly from lg parts canada.

They may have changed recently again (since many were complaining about long wait times for warranty service and parts), but that was about 5 years ago at least.
LG Canada Parts or whatever they're called is really Reliable Parts Canada. You can find LG parts there and same with Amre Supply. Bought repair parts from them for my fridge, microwave range hood combo, washer and dishwasher. All my appliances are LG and been running strong for 9 years now. Fridge part that broke are the drawers. Washer, the solenoid valves and dishwasher (made a bit of damage to cabinets surrounding it) the water recirculating pump - gasket seal just started leaking. Microwave, just a latch holding the extended hood.

Yes, there was a time where LG told 3rd party suppliers they can't sell their parts anymore. That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. That changed, not sure exactly when as I just recently bought parts from Amre and Reliable Parts in the last 2 years.

And to another poster, they have the LG One Repair. But there's a limit to the number of years they'll cover an appliance. 6 or 8 years I think. Anything after that, you have to do it yourself or get an outside service tech. Found out when my dishwasher broke late last year. Stupid cause the recirculating pump, they sell all the different components for it EXCEPT when it comes to the part where the gasket is attached to (the main lid). If that's the problem, you have to buy the whole recirculating pump. STUPID LG.
Apr 10, 2006
552 posts
365 upvotes
dealqu wrote: Compressor in my LG fridge died on me a little over 3+ years. However, they have this out of warranty program at https://lgoutofwarranty.ca/en/main/home.do. It's a fixed price of $250 and that was parts+labour included.
The linear compressor on LG fridges should be covered for 10 years. Last I checked.
Apr 3, 2007
768 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
For those that currently have a Samsung that is failing. Particularly with the ice machines....you can ask for a refund...mine is a 2017 and I received my refund this year.

Stay away from Samsung and if you need assistance or advice on the refund side I can assist you with that.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1666 posts
467 upvotes
Ottawa
Great

120$ for small plastic door bin. Any stock?
Nov 26, 2018
169 posts
149 upvotes
Calgary
This thread inspired me to run the never ending forced defrost mode on my Samsung fridges ice maker, what a piece of shit. Came with the house, and we hate this thing.

Don't buy Samsung appliances.

Also not sure why they thought it was a good idea to have continuous beeping while running defrost.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3135 posts
3095 upvotes
Montreal, QC
vanpatrick81 wrote: LG Canada Parts or whatever they're called is really Reliable Parts Canada. You can find LG parts there and same with Amre Supply. Bought repair parts from them for my fridge, microwave range hood combo, washer and dishwasher. All my appliances are LG and been running strong for 9 years now. Fridge part that broke are the drawers. Washer, the solenoid valves and dishwasher (made a bit of damage to cabinets surrounding it) the water recirculating pump - gasket seal just started leaking. Microwave, just a latch holding the extended hood.

Yes, there was a time where LG told 3rd party suppliers they can't sell their parts anymore. That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. That changed, not sure exactly when as I just recently bought parts from Amre and Reliable Parts in the last 2 years.

And to another poster, they have the LG One Repair. But there's a limit to the number of years they'll cover an appliance. 6 or 8 years I think. Anything after that, you have to do it yourself or get an outside service tech. Found out when my dishwasher broke late last year. Stupid cause the recirculating pump, they sell all the different components for it EXCEPT when it comes to the part where the gasket is attached to (the main lid). If that's the problem, you have to buy the whole recirculating pump. STUPID LG.
Reliable Parts is one of the local shops I visited (one of their warehouses is like a 10 minute drive from my place), and at the time (nearly 10 years ago), they had told me the same. They no longer carried genuine LG parts (when I was looking for the drain pump), and LG had decided to not make them available to 3rd parties. I ended up buying a supco pump, which fit fine and never had any issues with it.
However 3 years ago when I was looking for the tub bearings, they had them. I did not question if they were genuine LG (either way, LG doesn't make bearings), but as long as they were the same size and recommended quality. Maybe LG changed their policies again and finally decided to allow a few select 3rd parties to carry/sell genuine LG parts. I don't know. If they did, then that is some good news.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11220 posts
5306 upvotes
OOS too bad, thats a good price on this fridge and yes its samsung but with a 5 year warranty for a bit more would be great.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3135 posts
3095 upvotes
Montreal, QC
blazed16 wrote: OOS too bad, thats a good price on this fridge and yes its samsung but with a 5 year warranty for a bit more would be great.
A warranty is not worth much, if you need to wait a month or more just for parts :(

So when it fails, you will be without a fridge (or whatever appliance), until they get the parts (some long lead times on certain parts) and then schedule a tech to come do the work.
Jun 21, 2009
300 posts
268 upvotes
not a chance in hell of buying Samsung when planned obsolescence is so obvious. Had a mainboard go on a washer, parts were no longer available. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4468 posts
4050 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Roll the dice prospective buyers!

Odds-on you get a lemon.
Fake, inflated, paid, and other forms of scammy news and reviews run rampant. A world drenched in online deceit, spiraling into oblivion.
Quitter
Nov 22, 2012
216 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
S1 wrote: Our ten year old Samsung refrigerator works great, except that every six months, it stops refrigerating because the blower has iced over. There are defrosting coils in there and everything, but they don't prevent this ice buildup, because they're too far away from the blower.

I ended up working around the problem by putting the fridge into force defrost mode to warm the surrounding air up a bit, enabling demo mode for a few hours to allow the ice to melt, enabling force defrost again at the end for good measure, and disabling the demo mode.

The fridge doesn't give you any way to tell if demo mode is on or not, and the magic shortcut to turn it on is a toggle, so more than once, I've accidentally left the fridge in demo mode overnight and come back in the morning to find it approaching room temperature.

Should you buy anything made by Samsung? Probably not, I'd say.
Thanks for this. I've got a 10 yr old Samsung Fridge and it buzzes really loudly each time the compressor starts running. I've done all the research about it icing over, and have done everything I can to take it apart and have found no ice. I'll try running it in demo mode, and let whatever is iced over defrost itself.

I'm not expecting much from this fridge, but hopefully this works. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1735 posts
459 upvotes
I don't own any Samsung appliances, but my cousin is in the appliance repair business. By far he says he sees more Samsung fridges that need repair. Engineering support from Samsung is non-existent (service manuals are garbage and phone support not available). So it turns into a guessing game as to what is wrong, all the while the bill goes up for the customer.

Take it with a grain of salt if you want but I'll trust the opinion of someone who sees different appliance manufacturers/models on a regular basis.
So if you know an appliance repair person ask them what they see. That will probably give you a better idea on reliability rather than asking the salesman who just wants product to move out the door.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3719 posts
1981 upvotes
Toronto, ON
-KILO- wrote: We have Samsung dishwasher, microwave, stove & fridge all bought from Costco at different times.

No issues at all with any of them.

Had a Bosch dishwasher that was terrible. Had to be serviced 3 times before we pulled the plug
We bought ALL Samsung as well, no issue. But then again we did not hook up water/ice line to the fridge yet so I can't comment on the ICE maker.

And yes, I am a Samsung fanboy lol I feel they innovate technology! My Fridge, stove, washer/dryer, dishwasher, and TV are all on Samsung Smart Things so they all communicate to each other.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Dec 22, 2010
527 posts
402 upvotes
Ontario
Spawk1028 wrote: I Disagree with this statement: "Most of the failures here are because of user abuse and negligence. There are occasional design flaws in some models, certainly. But to just blanket label one brand bad over another would not be a responsible assessment."

Ive taken care of my fridge since day one and nothing but problem after problem. Samsung is widely known to be garbage. Way more complaints that compliments on regards to them. I would almost say 75% complaints to 25% compliments which should be more like 5 to 95 when that type of money is being spent.
Don't take any feedback on any products or brands from RFD seriously especially on this Hot Deal. There some good reliable feedback, but many of them are just to put down the products and brands in order to put up the sales on others. The reviews here in Hot Deal are the same as Amazon reviews. It started with Slicksdeals, and Slickdeals is infested with fake reviews from you-know-where.
Mar 16, 2006
362 posts
419 upvotes
Vancouver
Saving up for the LG that has the we will rock you commercial.
Dec 26, 2006
310 posts
308 upvotes
I wouldn’t recommend Samsung like others have mentioned. Engineering issues where the condensation freezes behind the back panels, where about twice a year I’ve had to defrost and dry the full fridge to get the fan to unfreeze, all because they didn’t design the drain hole for the condensation to drain. It’s a common problem that isn’t addressed. Plus buzzing noises. The positive is the internal plastic shelving isn’t flimsy but rather a thick stock plastic. I’d go whirlpool within the same price range for reliability. Only thing that sucks about them is their plastic bins aren’t that durable.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9169 posts
7239 upvotes
Kitchener
Lostx403 wrote: This thread inspired me to run the never ending forced defrost mode on my Samsung fridges ice maker, what a piece of shit. Came with the house, and we hate this thing.

Don't buy Samsung appliances.

Also not sure why they thought it was a good idea to have continuous beeping while running defrost.
Sounds like you have the same fridge I do. I don't like it...I miss my Samsung 4-door fridge.