Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Samsung 40" 4K Model 40NU7100 $369.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2019 12:37 pm
Aug 17, 2018
184 posts
91 upvotes
Yup price is back up. In the mean time I picked up TCL-50 4 series to test for $379. $10 bucks more for 10 inch more. Bedroom TV use with nvidia shield. So leaning towards tcl, unless I find some stuff that are dealbreaker.
Rtings side by side gives edge to 7100 but just slightly, and up scaling scores are same.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15556 posts
16823 upvotes
grca73 wrote: Yup price is back up. In the mean time I picked up TCL-50 4 series to test for $379. $10 bucks more for 10 inch more. Bedroom TV use with nvidia shield. So leaning towards tcl, unless I find some stuff that are dealbreaker.
Decent TV.

Go to your mom and pop computer place and get them to load an IPTV subscription on your shield. They'll charge $15 per month typically. Thousands of channels.

Cancel cable and up your internet. Job done.

If you're more tech savvy you can do it yourself and maybe pay only $10 per month.

Cheers.
Nov 15, 2017
253 posts
520 upvotes
WEST CANADA
Paigne wrote: Main difference really is Samsung brand. Samsung is the top selling brand and generally is pretty well reviewed for support. Vizio on the other side have gone downhill the last few years (honestly since their fail/attempt to sell a couple years ago). You can google or check reddit to see various problems (tho Samsung has issues too, Vizio ones aren’t just wear and tear) that they encounter with their TVs lately. Most of them have to do with either Black Friday stock or firmware updates causing interface to really slow down. There is also the somewhat famous white line issue with Vizio p series. Consumer report also took 7 models of Vizio tv off their recommended list a few months back due to fail rate above 20% within 5 years (Just take it as a reference point, I doubt the actual fail rate is 20% and odds are a lot of people with no issues just hung up on them).

If you are using it as a monitor, Samsung has slightly better respond time but Vizio seems to have better viewing angle and maybe supports 1440p if that matters to you.

Other minor difference like Samsung has 3X hdimi 2 ports vs Vizio 2. Better upscale chip found in the Samsung etc. Basically you can read up on the differences to see if any of them are a game changer for you. If not you could go with the Vizio.
Nonsense. There are thousands of reviews online for both TV sets and they are very evenly matched. Both Vizio and Samsung tend to have the same issues in long term use and most likely same fail rates. Costco, with their two year warranty, would not carry Vizio if it had a larger fail rate then the other TVs they sell. For these two sets it comes down to personal preference on design and picture quality.
Jan 13, 2006
81 posts
16 upvotes
Can anyone confirm if you can screen mirror on the 40NU7100 TV from a phone? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3594 posts
2168 upvotes
Vancouver
zebracobra007 wrote: Nonsense. There are thousands of reviews online for both TV sets and they are very evenly matched. Both Vizio and Samsung tend to have the same issues in long term use and most likely same fail rates. Costco, with their two year warranty, would not carry Vizio if it had a larger fail rate then the other TVs they sell. For these two sets it comes down to personal preference on design and picture quality.
Reviews are similar but brands aren’t. If you arent picky about brand, like I said Vizio is fine. Fact is Vizio support is inferior to Samsung as proven by pretty much every tv discussion forum or Reddit. You can see how Vizio handle their white line issues on the p series to how they ignore the fact their firmware update resulted in their respond time being worst. There is clear evidence that their support is inferior to that of Samsung.

Of course how much value you place on that is completely up to you. Costco also fixes the problem as @redflagdealsguy started. As far as fail rate and Costco selling it... do note not everything Costco sells are quality products. Fact is a lot of the stuff they sell are crap and if they have issues with it from customers, they will just make a claim to the manufacturer. You can find negative reviews on products Costco sells all the time. What Costco does do however is protect their members and if there is a problem, Costco almost always side with their members. For example Costco sold (and might stills sell) Haier TVs and those are pretty much rebrand crap or china version of RCA.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1184 posts
922 upvotes
TORONTO
zebracobra007 wrote: Nonsense. There are thousands of reviews online for both TV sets and they are very evenly matched.
Not questioning your research, but similar reviews don't mean similar quality at all. People paying more, or even paying the same buying premium brands would expect more out of them. Therefore, they tend to give more strict reviews. It's just basic human psychology.

Like the redflagdealguy said, the samsung one is better as a monitor.
Jan 13, 2006
81 posts
16 upvotes
389.99 at Vaughan Costco until Jun 2. 4 left
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15556 posts
16823 upvotes
Ldot wrote: 389.99 at Vaughan Costco until Jun 2. 4 left
Let's do a self check folks. Are other Costcos reporting this?

I'm waiting on a $250 rewards cheque from Costco... and I'm hoping it lands in time to nab a unit at sale price.
Mar 11, 2005
198 posts
13 upvotes
PSA for those of you looking at the cheaper Vizio V405-G9 at Costco and want to know how it compares to the Samsung NU7100:

I bought the NU7100 a few weeks ago. The smeary motion trails of certain colors on the Samsung NU7100 (the scrolling red bars in the RFD hot deals forum in particular) were driving me nuts so I bought the Vizio V405-G9 at Costco. The RTINGs review mentions that the Vizio V505-G9 suffers from sub-pixel dithering. To my surprise, the 40’ panel on the V405-G9 does NOT suffer from sub-pixel dithering and has better contrast than the NU7100. Almost zero smearing of colors when scrolling too. Supports 4:4:4 @ 4K beautifully. Cheaper too. Sounds way better than the NU7100, right?

The deal breaker is that the viewing angles up-close on the Vizio V405-G9 are horrible. I could not work for more than 2 hours on the Vizio V405-G9 as a PC monitor without my eyes going batty. There is a pronounced drop-off of contrast on the left/right of the V405-G9 when sitting anywhere close. I plugged the NU7100 back in and the viewing angles on the NU7100 are way, way, way better and easier on my eyes. I'm now keeping the NU7100, even with the pronounced motion trails. Had all intentions of keeping the Vizio V405-G9 as a PC monitor, but it's going back. The stand on the V405-G9 can be a little wobbly compared to the NU7100 as a monitor but not a deal breaker.

If there is anyone on the fence about the Vizio V405-G9, I have included pictures of the working sub-pixel dithering to this post. I was using the test image they are using on the other forums. At the moment, there are very few reviews or even anyone talking about the V405-G9 on Reddit, YouTube, or AVS Forums. Hope this helps someone out there.

Bottom line: The V405-G9 would make a great 4K TV or gaming TV at the proper viewing distance (contrast issue not pronounced) just not a good 4K PC monitor if you are sensitive to viewing angles. For those of you interested, here is the thread from AVS Forums re: sub-pixel dithering: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd- ... atrix.html

Minawee wrote: Grabbed one of these at Costco tonight, and also noticed they have the Vizio V405-G9 on for $319.99...

Did some reading and found it is reviewed to be a pretty equal match for the NU7100 (better in some ways, worse in others... neither blowing the other away at anything... virtually identical rating post-calibration) :

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... eshold=0.1

Can anyone chyme in as to why the NU7100 is worth $50 than the V405-G9? Debating grabbing one as well to do a side-by-side, but don't quite have the room to do so...

Thoughts?
Images
  • sub-pixel-compare.jpg