Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Samsung 40" 4K Model 40NU7100 $369.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2019 12:37 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15405 posts
16602 upvotes
Narci wrote: That means I have to pay extra for something that I shouldn’t really have to buy if the legs weren’t split the way they are.
I would be buying one for any monitor that large. Stands lack the security and sturdiness of a mounted arm unless the TV monitor is against the wall.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7895 posts
2790 upvotes
Washington, DC
Logic22 wrote: Very good tv for the price! Supports Apple AirPlay 2. Don’t forget to turn on Samsung HDR+ in service menu!
I just tried HDR+ in the service menu and it makes the image quality worse than just using the regular HDR.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Mar 11, 2005
197 posts
13 upvotes
Logic22 wrote: Very good tv for the price! Supports Apple AirPlay 2. Don’t forget to turn on Samsung HDR+ in service menu!
Thanks OP.

Just picked one up as a 4K monitor last week. Price matched today to 369$. What a steal. Sharp as a tack at 4:4:4 and overall pretty impressed. A little bit of VA smearing when moving dark lines on a white background, but I'm picking at straws here. Overall a HUGE upgrade over my old U2711 Dell Ultrasharp it is replacing. Likely keeping it.

Question: Could you give a little more info about the HDR+? I can't seem to find much on Reddit (or elsewhere) about the service menu and the pros and cons about using HDR+ or not. Does it overall look better than regular HDR?

One person in this Samsung thread says it's a "faux HDR mode" and makes thing look worse. What's your experience?

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/ ... m-p/731747
Oct 25, 2001
562 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone use this with an Apple TV? Can the remote app on iPhone turn it on AND control tv volume (via CEC)?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14375 posts
4527 upvotes
Montreal
Narci wrote: I wish they did away with the split legs. Limits where you can put the TV.
Agreed, and the manufacturers are sooooo freaking cheap that these lightweight props are even infiltrating the smaller displays.

I know it's cheaper to make and takes less space in the box (primary reasons they are so popular) but it's just junk that you can't use without a massive stand.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14375 posts
4527 upvotes
Montreal
redflagdealsguy wrote: Stands lack the security and sturdiness of a mounted arm unless the TV monitor is against the wall.
Certainly not the old rectangular stands as the OP is referring to - those mini-prop pieces-of-junk are insanely unsafe and would tip over with a strong breeze.

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5859 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
JackWhyte wrote: Agreed, and the manufacturers are sooooo freaking cheap that these lightweight props are even infiltrating the smaller displays.

I know it's cheaper to make and takes less space in the box (primary reasons they are so popular) but it's just junk that you can't use without a massive stand.

Exactly...looking to replace an old crt tv in my in-laws kitchen, no room for massive stand.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14375 posts
4527 upvotes
Montreal
Narci wrote: Exactly...looking to replace an old crt tv in my in-laws kitchen, no room for massive stand.
The only way to do it easily, and still have flexibility to use it where ever you want, is to buy an old school stand from Amazon for $40.

I did that with my UHD 32" Acer, as I hated the silver "lady feet" stand it came with, and cost aside, it's exactly what I wanted.

Jan 12, 2011
82 posts
59 upvotes
Sainte-Thérèse
Went to Costco to buy it, then saw the TCL 50" model with the same specs (4k, HDR, 120hz rr) but no HDR+ and it has Roku. For 400$, I don't know the TCL brand but 40$ for 10" more seems like a good deal.

Can't find it on the Costco Canada website but it seems to be this one: https://www.costco.com/TCL-50%22-Class- ... 57633.html

Does anyone have experience with TCL?
Jul 18, 2004
393 posts
113 upvotes
iencoder wrote: Thanks OP.

Just picked one up as a 4K monitor last week. Price matched today to 369$. What a steal. Sharp as a tack at 4:4:4 and overall pretty impressed. A little bit of VA smearing when moving dark lines on a white background, but I'm picking at straws here. Overall a HUGE upgrade over my old U2711 Dell Ultrasharp it is replacing. Likely keeping it.

Question: Could you give a little more info about the HDR+? I can't seem to find much on Reddit (or elsewhere) about the service menu and the pros and cons about using HDR+ or not. Does it overall look better than regular HDR?

One person in this Samsung thread says it's a "faux HDR mode" and makes thing look worse. What's your experience?

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/ ... m-p/731747
https://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/ ... dr-update/

If you are using this tv as computer monitor then HDR+ might not do much for you!

For over the air tv, HDR+ works great!
Tangerine 👍 Public Mobile 👍 Fido 👍
“Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.”
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15405 posts
16602 upvotes
djrickstar wrote: Went to Costco to buy it, then saw the TCL 50" model with the same specs (4k, HDR, 120hz rr) but no HDR+ and it has Roku. For 400$, I don't know the TCL brand but 40$ for 10" more seems like a good deal.

Can't find it on the Costco Canada website but it seems to be this one: https://www.costco.com/TCL-50%22-Class- ... 57633.html

Does anyone have experience with TCL?
As a monitor, the NU7100 is better, it's better as a TV too, but the difference isn't as big there.

If you're happy with the TCL, that's all that matters.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1180 posts
917 upvotes
TORONTO
Damn, bought last week, and costco's closed now. Will price match tmr. I'll only need to bring the receipt and go find customer service right?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15405 posts
16602 upvotes
hansdoreen wrote: Damn, bought last week, and costco's closed now. Will price match tmr. I'll only need to bring the receipt and go find customer service right?
Yep, they should take care of it, especially since it was so recent.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1935 posts
594 upvotes
Vancouver
Question for those that use this as a monitor connected to your computer. Does the TV power off when the computer shutsdown/go-into-sleep-mode? Or do you have to manually switch the TV on/off?