Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Samsung 40" 4K Model 40NU7100 $369.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2019 12:37 pm
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3373 posts
1053 upvotes
djrickstar wrote: Went to Costco to buy it, then saw the TCL 50" model with the same specs (4k, HDR, 120hz rr) but no HDR+ and it has Roku. For 400$, I don't know the TCL brand but 40$ for 10" more seems like a good deal.

Can't find it on the Costco Canada website but it seems to be this one: https://www.costco.com/TCL-50%22-Class- ... 57633.html

Does anyone have experience with TCL?
1."HDR+" is BS Samsung marketing that means nothing. So don't worry about that. However, neither of these panels are "true HDR" as far as I know. You need certain colour ranges, peak brightness capability, and zone dimming (or pixel dimming on OLEDs) for true black levels in order to meet HDR standard. Most of these cheap sets do not meet these standards, and only advertise HDR as meaning they are compatible to receive HDR signals. But it won't properly interpret these signals to give you an actual HDR experience.
2. The TCL or the Samsung are almost certainly not 120hz RR. You have to pay much more for that. What you're looking at is again just marketing BS, there's "fake" RR that they call ClearMotion or whatever depending on the brand, that simulates higher refresh rates but looks like garbage. Always try to find the native refresh rate in the specs. You might have to search the model online to find out.

Remember guys, you get what you pay for and be vigilant when shopping for TV's. Use rtings.com. The consensus seems to be the cheapest real HDR TV's are TCL and Vizio from what I've seen and only their higher models, not the cheapest. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by VanceMendoza on May 27th, 2019 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 31, 2010
876 posts
163 upvotes
Victoria
Can a 32" VESA monitor arm or stand support this TV?
Aug 24, 2018
593 posts
815 upvotes
Langley BC
Thanks OP. Just got this TV from bestbuy (still had $300 in gift cards from BD S9 koodo deals) got the extra $25 off with the after 9 code so total came to $411 with free shipping. Nice only paying $111 after using my gift cards:)
Koodo $35 5 Gig deal (x2)
Nov 17, 2013
892 posts
149 upvotes
WINNIPEG
as a computer monitor, are you guys gaming with this? or do you do actual computer work with it (word processing, programming, web design)? I use my desktop for design work (web, photoshop, after effects...) and use 2 24" monitors side by side. Is it more efficient (workflow) to use one BIG monitor now? Is this the going trend vs dual or triple monitors? how far away do you all sit from a monitor this size and resolution?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3624 posts
2183 upvotes
Vancouver
vrredflag wrote: as a computer monitor, are you guys gaming with this? or do you do actual computer work with it (word processing, programming, web design)? I use my desktop for design work (web, photoshop, after effects...) and use 2 24" monitors side by side. Is it more efficient (workflow) to use one BIG monitor now? Is this the going trend vs dual or triple monitors? how far away do you all sit from a monitor this size and resolution?
I wouldn’t recommend it for photo/video editing, the viewing angle on this is pretty bad (similar to TN panel).

I’m using it mostly on my pc that I use to code at home and check things like stock markets, catch up on the news, etc. Also loaded up a movie to test it and the PQ is pretty good/about what you expect for an entry level tv.

Edit also when compared to 4 monitor (I had 4 older 24” setup before), the main advantage is you don’t have the bezels in the middle. You can easily snap and divide the screen into 4 with windows (or customize it with apps/software). Is it the new trend? I would say probably because it’s more cost effective to buy 1 tv vs 2 or 3 smaller monitors. Of course there are still market for monitors i.e gaming (100+ hz), or ips panels (since there ar advantage there).
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4473 posts
3718 upvotes
IDK my tv stand legs well enough to say which make and model this is, but here's some viewing perspective.

Washington Post article - "Officials searched 3 days for a lost hiker. Volunteers wouldn’t quit — and found her weeks later."
Images
  • 42B0F33C-9195-4183-836D-5048DB9E7861.jpeg
Aug 30, 2017
51 posts
8 upvotes
Logic22 wrote: Very good tv for the price! Supports Apple AirPlay 2. Don’t forget to turn on Samsung HDR+ in service menu!
You sure this supports AirPlay? I think the newer models like the RUs has airplay and not the NUs. This would be a good deal if has AirPlay. No need to buy the Apple TV and can just do airplay from the iPhone.
Jul 18, 2004
394 posts
115 upvotes
slzz888 wrote: You sure this supports AirPlay? I think the newer models like the RUs has airplay and not the NUs. This would be a good deal if has AirPlay. No need to buy the Apple TV and can just do airplay from the iPhone.
I am watching right now on this tv with air play Grinning Face

Samsung auto updated the firmware few weeks ago!
Images
  • 5C991BC6-412C-459D-B230-33018474FC03.jpeg
  • CA1C58D9-C8C3-453F-9875-00DB2905C163.jpeg
  • 718B4FE0-9381-4DA3-8E21-FC9C852A6A20.jpeg
Tangerine 👍 Public Mobile 👍 Fido 👍
“Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.”
Jul 18, 2004
394 posts
115 upvotes
Some people complaining about this tv, let me tell you. You won’t find better tv for this price, let alone monitor!
Tangerine 👍 Public Mobile 👍 Fido 👍
“Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.”
[OP]
Mar 1, 2011
287 posts
561 upvotes
Fraser Valley
I'm going to try using this set as a computer monitor. It is currently way too big for my desk so I have to mount on the wall and pull out my desk a bit. They have many gas mounts on Amazon that allows you to adjust the height and also the angle. If you go with any of the monitor arms, make sure it can handle the weight of 20lbs for this TV. I'm going to try this one out for $55.

https://www.amazon.ca/North-Bayou-Brack ... r=8-3&th=1

Capture.PNG
Aug 30, 2017
51 posts
8 upvotes
Logic22 wrote: I am watching right now on this tv with air play Grinning Face

Samsung auto updated the firmware few weeks ago!
I got the 43 inch version of NU6900 which we got last week for 449. Trying to do auto update but it’s grayed out on the settings. Any ideas how to do it?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16050 posts
17493 upvotes
So the 40" NU7100 has AirPlay after the most recent pushed update.

I'm not an Apple ecosystem guy but this is a bit of a coup.

I'm expecting this panel to fly between now and the May 30th Costco sale end date.
Jan 13, 2013
398 posts
394 upvotes
Saguenay, QC
I bought one to try as a monitor.

I had a PHILIPS BDM4065UC 40'' 4K monitor for almost a year.
Before that, I had a LG 34UM95 LED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide QHD.

The BDM4065UC was a good monitor, but I got tired of moving my head and realized after a while I wasn't using the top of the screen. Sold it and re-started using my QHD 21:9.
But... yeah, 4 years later, I decided to give 40" 4k another try.

This NU7100 is not even close of a "real" monitor. Cleary not intended for this kind of usage IMO.
If you're serious about your monitor, don't buy this. It works as a TV and could work as a monitor for gaming and stuff where you don't actually care about color accuracy, viewing angle and stuff like that but if you intend to use this on a daily basis as your main monitor - IMO - you should buy a real monitor. This is a TV, even at 4:4:4, it's not as sharp as a 4k monitor.

Also, 21:9 ultrawide is the absolute best.
Last edited by orditeck on May 27th, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16050 posts
17493 upvotes
orditeck wrote: I bought one to try as a monitor.

I had a PHILIPS BDM4065UC 40'' 4K monitor for almost a year.
Before that, I had a LG 34UM95 LED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide QHD+.

The BDM4065UC was a good monitor, but I got tired of moving my head and realized after a while I wasn't using the top of the screen. Sold it and re-started using my QHD 21:9.
I decided to try 40" 4k again.

This NU7100 is not even close of a "real" monitor. Cleary not intended for this kind of usage IMO.
If you're serious about your monitor, don't buy this. It works as a TV and could work as a monitor for gaming and stuff where you don't actually care about color accuracy, viewing angle and stuff like that but if you intend to use this on a daily basis as your main monitor - IMO - you should buy a real monitor. This is a TV, even at 4:4:4, it's not as sharp as a 4k monitor.

Also, 21:9 ultrawide is the absolute best.
You came from a real 40" 4K monitor and a higher end 34" ultrawide to a 40" NU7100 and you expect high-tier performance bud?

Don't you think you're being a little unreasonable given the price and what you get?

Most of the buyers here have never owned a dedicated 4K monitor, to them (myself included) this panel performs very well.

Let's keep it real, bud. This isn't a $1,000 4K monster.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on May 27th, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.