• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2022 10:01 am
[OP]
Aug 25, 2012
364 posts
646 upvotes
VANCOUVER

[Costco] Samsung 55" Smart 4K Curved TV UN55TU8300 ($599.97) and 65" $699.97

The well reviewed (2020 model, Curve version of TU8000) Samsung LED TVs are on sale at Costco.

Not an unbeatable TV but the price is right and if you desire a curve or relatively inexpensive mid tier tv for a secondary room or garage.

65 inch down from $1148.00 to $699.97

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu8300
Images
  • 2700F1D0-4087-4971-A889-604F304F1ABF.png
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Thread Summary
If you're shopping for more options, take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best 4K HDR smart TVs!
17 replies
Aug 3, 2013
99 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
OP how does this compare to the Hisense u78g?

Or the tcl 5 series?

I feel like the Hisense would be the better pick here but Samsung does have the brand rep
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1591 posts
903 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone who has this TV can comment on viewing quality and longevity?

Price looks good!

Is curved TV actually a good thing?
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12608 posts
3729 upvotes
Wasn’t TLC doing 5 series for 630ish for 65”? How does this compare?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4672 posts
2228 upvotes
Parry Sound
In the past I'd say this is a good deal but recently it seems Samsung's TV quality has been dropping year by year unless you go for the higher end models.

Best to check review sites like rtings.com
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Jun 25, 2022
61 posts
128 upvotes
Seems like good price. RTING is okay on them however I would stay away from any Samsung TV.
Jan 14, 2013
271 posts
241 upvotes
Ontario
skyrink wrote: Anyone who has this TV can comment on viewing quality and longevity?

Price looks good!

Without knowing the exact viewing angles I generally recommend being center stage when watching content on anything curved. This wouldn’t be good for a large group spread out on difference couches/chairs.
May 22, 2015
354 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
skyrink wrote: Anyone who has this TV can comment on viewing quality and longevity?

Price looks good!

I would recommend against it. I bought it back in 2019 when it was ~$500 for 55".

Curve really limits the viewing angle since you have to be at the center and the backlight panel failed on the right side of the screen earlier this year - thankfully, it was still under warranty by Costco so I received my money back since they figured it's equivalent to fixing the TV, but this process took couple of weeks. Also, the curvature makes it little bit more tricky when you are doing installation since only two edges are touching the surface with full weight of the TV and I was always worried that it may break it.

I bought LG OLED TV as a replacement and it's night and day difference - of course, you are paying more for the quality of the image.
Apr 2, 2013
839 posts
915 upvotes
Barrie
MayorOfToronto wrote: In the past I'd say this is a good deal but recently it seems Samsung's TV quality has been dropping year by year unless you go for the higher end models.

Best to check review sites like rtings.com
Unfortunately I tend to agree. I have had credit issued to me from using the Best Buy warranty as they were unable to fix my 55" before this most recent 65" RU8000 (that was disappointing since it was a true 120Hz panel). I ended up with the TCL 65" S546 (price matched with Amazon for the $632.15) as a replacement and my wife noted that it was a MUCH nicer picture than the Samsung RU8000 we had. It's far more vivid and life-like.

I would recommend the TCL at this price point over the Samsung here.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1591 posts
903 upvotes
Toronto
Disadvantage of Curved TV's:

Viewing Angle: if you sit off-center or don't turn off enough lights, you're in for a tough time. The further you sit to one side or the other, the more the picture will appear to bend. Room lights in the wrong places can ruin your experience completely

Glare: The curvature of the TV reflects light across the screen which can wash out the screen, making it difficult to watch. Whether it's light from windows, lamps, or wall fixtures — this glare can create terrible viewing quality.
Sep 6, 2020
44 posts
64 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
For anybody wondering, the TU8300 series does not support the Xbox app for Samsung smart tvs. The Hisense U6GR Series is $100 more, but is much newer and also has a better rating on rtings.com. Any tv you get from Costco, I would recommend the extended warranty.

The cheapest tv on Costco.ca with the Xbox app is the Samsung Q60B Series which is 60' and $1000. Not worth it imo, you could literally buy a series S and the TU8300 for the around the same cost.
May 19, 2005
875 posts
379 upvotes
Kingston
Personally, I don't think *anyone* should buy a new Samsung until Samsung pays the royalty and adds Dolby Vision support. Its a great format, and widely available. Samsung refusing to support it insults their customers because its only for their own financial enrichment. They don't pay for DV, they get a few extra pennies/set....
Mar 5, 2016
183 posts
92 upvotes
I found a Hisense 55inch U6GR for $499

but its the display unit.

Any advice ?
Aug 23, 2019
439 posts
481 upvotes
Oh I remember my glory days at Geek Squad hanging curved tvs.
Don't get it if you have multiple viewing angles, glare can be brutal on this thing.
I personally can tolerate curved monitors since there is only one point of view (normally) but TVs, nah.
Just get a Hisense for the same price, the one that has 120Hz.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4672 posts
2228 upvotes
Parry Sound
gn22 wrote: Personally, I don't think *anyone* should buy a new Samsung until Samsung pays the royalty and adds Dolby Vision support. Its a great format, and widely available. Samsung refusing to support it insults their customers because its only for their own financial enrichment. They don't pay for DV, they get a few extra pennies/set....
Any HDR at this price won't be that great anyway so that's no reason to dismiss this deal.

If you want good HDR then up your budget.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24001 posts
30551 upvotes
Curved TVs are very unlikeable unless you're a one person family, and even then.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2012
364 posts
646 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I think one of the questions to be asked here is how much more are you willing to pay for another higher end TV like a C1? In this instance it has to be >85% or an equivalent of $1300.
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)