• Oct 24th, 2019 4:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 18, 2012
240 posts
172 upvotes
Oshawa

Samsung 55RU8000 $889.99

Kind of a heat of the moment buy for this Samsung 55RU8000 TV. Bill shows $273 discount for a purchase price of $889.99 in store. One of the kids TV's died and I picked up this set the other day and moved the family room 4 year old set to my sons room and put the new 55RU8000 in the family room.
The TV is nice and setup was easy. When watching a Netflix movie last night in the dark I could see light bleed from both lower corners of the screen. In dark scenes you could faintly see the back light diagonally bleed towards dead center from both corners. Almost as if a flashlight where in each corner pointing to the center of the screen. I did some quick reviews and the TV was rated very good (7.9 rating)with good black uniformity https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru8000 . On a plus there is virtually no Dirty screen effect on white or gray background. Do any other RFD members have this TV and have this dark room black uniformity light bleed issue ? Take it back and try another or is this normal with manufacturers skimping on quality and live with it ? I am not looking to spend more.
Last edited by sandalwood on Oct 24th, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Zoomer Wireless
7 replies
[OP]
Nov 18, 2012
240 posts
172 upvotes
Oshawa
bobroham wrote: Bad tv bad price
Do you also own this TV ? what are you basing your 'bad tv' on ? Yeah I get the price is not great but the online reviews say its not a great TV but a good TV. Just looking for advice people on the OP issue.... Thanks
Public Mobile
Koodo
Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4023 posts
1029 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You are asking for advice so this is not for the hot deal section.
May 12, 2011
353 posts
343 upvotes
Calgary
if you have the back light bleeding bring it back to Costco ASAP
Jun 26, 2010
747 posts
485 upvotes
Vancouver
This is a good TV; not a great TV. Price reflects this. It's mid-level Samsung and you're probably paying more for their brand, but Samsung does make very good TV's.
As a reference point, this TV was down to $799 at Costco and London Drugs a couple months ago.
The people who call this a "bad tv" are probably going to steer you towards a sketchier brand like Hisense or TCL which are value brands.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2012
240 posts
172 upvotes
Oshawa
honggil wrote: You are asking for advice so this is not for the hot deal section.
Your right ... sorry my bad... maybe a mod can move it to computers and electronics section. as wolandca mentioned I will return it tomorrow morning, . and thanks to shabbydog for the advice. I will try another set and see what happens. . thanks guys
Public Mobile
Koodo
Zoomer Wireless