Cell Phones

Costco Samsung Unlocked Galaxy Note 9 - Does it Network Lock on Activation?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 3:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16570 posts
2292 upvotes

Costco Samsung Unlocked Galaxy Note 9 - Does it Network Lock on Activation?

Hi all,

I seem to recall that some unlocked Samsung phones will auto-lock to the first network you activate on ... do they still do that? I bought a Galaxy Note 9 from Costco.ca which is unlocked.

According to the Samsung Canada(?) FAQ on unlocked phones, it's supposed to ship with an unlock code?

Do Canadian unlocked Galaxy Note 9 include such an unlock code or is the information on Samsung's FAQ out of date?

Thanks.
Last edited by coolspot on Dec 6th, 2018 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3235 posts
1084 upvotes
Woodbridge
That information might be American. AFAIK Canadian phones cannot be sold locked or be locked to a network.
Apr 2, 2013
482 posts
454 upvotes
St. Catharines
Even if it does lock, just go to samsung . ca and use the chat function for technical support and they will send you a network unlock code right away if you ask. Just did that recently with my previous S8.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18847 posts
8504 upvotes
Oakville
I assume they have that turned off now, since there's no longer locked phones in Canada.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2076 posts
1156 upvotes
Calgary
I don't think it network locks but it will reset and load the carrier software associated with the first SIM you put in.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16570 posts
2292 upvotes
Devhux wrote: I don't think it network locks but it will reset and load the carrier software associated with the first SIM you put in.
Reset as in factory state, or does it just load the bloatware?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1364 upvotes
Bay Area
If it's anything like the US version then no factory reset happens. Should point out though the "unlocked by Samsung" U1 version of the Note 9 sold in the US never comes with any carrier bloatware regardless of SIM. The phone simply recognizes the carrier SIM and adjusts the bands/carrier aggregation strategy accordingly, but never installs any carrier bloat. This is different from the "universal" U version of the Note 9 that *will* install carrier bloat when switching carrier SIMs. I seem to recall there's only one W version of the Canadian Note 9, so it's possible it behaves like the U1.
Last edited by arkane on Dec 7th, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 27, 2003
10206 posts
2752 upvotes
Newmarket
The Note 9 (Canadian variant) is network unlocked. Upon first sim insert, it will load carrier bloat but it will not SIM lock to that carrier. The box label will also have NU on it which stands for Network Unlocked.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2076 posts
1156 upvotes
Calgary
coolspot wrote: Reset as in factory state, or does it just load the bloatware?
Actually I think the others are correct now that I think about it. Even doing a CSC change didn't actually fully reset my Note 9 IIRC when I bought it from a friend, so the initial setup may not factory reset either like on previous devices.

I'm so used to precious Samsungs that would do a full reset and annoy some people.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1364 upvotes
Bay Area
WorldIRC wrote: The Note 9 (Canadian variant) is network unlocked. Upon first sim insert, it will load carrier bloat but it will not SIM lock to that carrier. The box label will also have NU on it which stands for Network Unlocked.
Do you know what happens if you swap SIMs? Does it load the new carrier's bloat, or does the old carrier's bloat carryover? If it loads different carrier bloat depending on the SIM, then it's similar to the "U" version sold in the US except it's network unlocked. If it only loads the initial SIM's bloat but that persists throughout SIM changes, then it behaves differently from either the U or U1 version sold in the US .

U = may or may not be network locked, loads different carrier bloat depending on SIM
U1 = always network unlocked, never loads any carrier bloat

It seems like the Canadian version ("W") might be a hybrid of the two.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2076 posts
1156 upvotes
Calgary
The regular W model won't automatically re-load a new CSC upon putting in a new SIM (that much I can verify as I had to do the *#272*IMEI# to switch from a Freedom Mobile CSC to Telus).
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1364 upvotes
Bay Area
Very interesting. If you still have the Freedom/Telus SIMs, could you also enter *#0011# in the stock dialer app upon swapping SIMs to see which bands are active, and if carrier aggregation is working?

Right now it sounds like the old bloat just carries over, but I'm curious if it's because the W model just doesn't change anything (not even the CP), or it changes the CP but leaves CSC intact.
Sep 27, 2003
10206 posts
2752 upvotes
Newmarket
Devhux wrote: The regular W model won't automatically re-load a new CSC upon putting in a new SIM (that much I can verify as I had to do the *#272*IMEI# to switch from a Freedom Mobile CSC to Telus).
Confirmed
RFD Forums Moderator
Jun 2, 2010
576 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote: The regular W model won't automatically re-load a new CSC upon putting in a new SIM (that much I can verify as I had to do the *#272*IMEI# to switch from a Freedom Mobile CSC to Telus).
Changing the CSC resets your phone. I just did a Network Code Change for *#272*IMEI# when moving my Koodo Samsung Galaxy S9 to TELUS. No data was lost and it only took a minute or two. After this, I had Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE on TELUS.
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1342 posts
234 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
TheNightOwl wrote: Changing the CSC resets your phone. I just did a Network Code Change for *#272*IMEI# when moving my Koodo Samsung Galaxy S9 to TELUS. No data was lost and it only took a minute or two. After this, I had Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE on TELUS.
How do you do a network code change? Just via settings?

Changing the CSC will also download the provider apps specific to that provider.