Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

SanDisk Extreme Portable 1TB Solid State Drive (SSD) For $99.97 in store YMMV

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2022 11:55 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8640 posts
8976 upvotes
andykumar wrote: Once it is removed, is it still 500mbps?

I ask because some drives have proprietary connectors that may not be as fast as bare connections.
Not sure where you're coming from. If the drive has a proprietary connector it just won't work elsewhere, I guess that means the speed is zero, but I doubt that's what you were getting it?

Oh, and it's 500MBps, not 500Mbps.
Member
Aug 16, 2010
412 posts
208 upvotes
I just bought a USB M.2 external case and a 1TB WD SSD NVMe for about $180 total, thinking it would be a better/faster choice. Unfortunately, even with a Thunderbolt 3 connection it maxes out at 1000 MB/s. The SSD maxes 3000 MB/s when directly connected to a M.2 PCIe and only 40MB/s when connected to a USB 3.1gen1 port. Unfortunately I only have a one Thunderbolt 3 connector and I need it for my docking station. I should be able to get around 550MB/s with USB3.0

In short save your money and buy this if you won't be using this with a USB 3.1gen2 or later.
Member
Dec 8, 2019
211 posts
348 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: shuckable if anyone is interested to use inside a computer
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comme ... tear_down/
Interesting - It's great that this design gives you some additional options for rescuing your data in the off chance that the USB port or controller board dies.

Though if you're looking for a M.2 SATA drive to use in your desktop from the start, the WD Blue 1TB is basically the same price. No shucking involved and you won't void your warranty. If your computer supports NVMe, the HP EX920 is on clearance at CC for $110.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 5, 2010
2770 posts
6531 upvotes
Ontario
What do people use these for? Are these replacing peoples "portable hard drives"?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44558 posts
7779 upvotes
Skilas wrote: What do people use these for? Are these replacing peoples "portable hard drives"?
Copying forensics images, analyzing forensics images using DFIR software.

VMs - Various Windows, Linux. Used for malware analysis, accessing TOR, dark web analysis in VMs.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1502 posts
943 upvotes
GTA
djemzine wrote: Copying forensics images, analyzing forensics images using DFIR software.

VMs - Various Windows, Linux. Used for malware analysis, accessing TOR, dark web analysis in VMs.
Just host your SIEM infrastructure on it why dontcha
Jr. Member
Feb 21, 2017
166 posts
79 upvotes
repatch wrote: Not sure where you're coming from. If the drive has a proprietary connector it just won't work elsewhere, I guess that means the speed is zero, but I doubt that's what you were getting it?

Oh, and it's 500MBps, not 500Mbps.
I meant to say proprietary internal connections that would implement some software to do some "stuff" before coming out the other end with a regular connection such as USB-C or USB 3.0.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8640 posts
8976 upvotes
andykumar wrote: I meant to say proprietary internal connections that would implement some software to do some "stuff" before coming out the other end with a regular connection such as USB-C or USB 3.0.
Can you give an example of this? These sorts of things either work or they don't. 'Proprietary internal connections' implies it just won't work, since your port or adapter won't be of the right type of connection.

I honestly have never seen a case where there was something proprietary, but still could connect to a standard port, yet end up with reduced performance.

Are you confusing SATA vs NVME M.2 drive issues perhaps?
Member
Mar 25, 2017
302 posts
384 upvotes
GTA
tweebs2 wrote: I just bought a USB M.2 external case and a 1TB WD SSD NVMe for about $180 total, thinking it would be a better/faster choice. Unfortunately, even with a Thunderbolt 3 connection it maxes out at 1000 MB/s. The SSD maxes 3000 MB/s when directly connected to a M.2 PCIe and only 40MB/s when connected to a USB 3.1gen1 port. Unfortunately I only have a one Thunderbolt 3 connector and I need it for my docking station. I should be able to get around 550MB/s with USB3.0

In short save your money and buy this if you won't be using this with a USB 3.1gen2 or later.
Wish I saw this deal a couple days ago before buying the orico m2 case from newegg. Since I’ve already committed that $16 to the case I decided to buy the clearance HP nvme drive for $110 and will have to move forward with that setup. Hopefully will be able to get decently fast transfer speeds when I upgrade my computer
Jr. Member
Oct 23, 2019
105 posts
112 upvotes
I assume the one OP posted that Costco sells is Version 1 but I’m not sure
Jr. Member
Feb 21, 2017
166 posts
79 upvotes
Dbatman wrote: I assume the one OP posted that Costco sells is Version 1 but I’m not sure
Yes.
Jr. Member
Feb 21, 2017
166 posts
79 upvotes
repatch wrote: Can you give an example of this? These sorts of things either work or they don't. 'Proprietary internal connections' implies it just won't work, since your port or adapter won't be of the right type of connection.

I honestly have never seen a case where there was something proprietary, but still could connect to a standard port, yet end up with reduced performance.

Are you confusing SATA vs NVME M.2 drive issues perhaps?
I think I was using the wrong words. Maybe not proprietary connections, but rather some software in the interface that may slow it down due to some processing it requires, such as Seagate or other drive.

Maybe it was an old shucking article I read somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8640 posts
8976 upvotes
andykumar wrote: I think I was using the wrong words. Maybe not proprietary connections, but rather some software in the interface that may slow it down due to some processing it requires, such as Seagate or other drive.

Maybe it was an old shucking article I read somewhere.
I honestly don't think such a thing exists, if the drive can be shucked it's a regular standard drive, I can't see any software is needed to get full performance.
Sr. Member
Dec 3, 2002
504 posts
38 upvotes
BC
repatch wrote: I honestly don't think such a thing exists, if the drive can be shucked it's a regular standard drive, I can't see any software is needed to get full performance.
I think he’s referring to when some portable drives by WD and Samsung were found to not have an usable SATA connector as the drive was soldered directly to an internal circuit board inside the enclosure, directly to the USB port.
Unless it’s about how some portable drives that use encryption software so you couldn’t rescue the drive data if the enclosure’s controller bit the dust, which also decreased the read/write speeds.
Jr. Member
Mar 3, 2018
129 posts
120 upvotes
Just picked up one up in Guelph Costco, looked like there were about 10-14 left on the shelf.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3942 posts
1392 upvotes
Belle River
What's the return policy on this?

These are supposed to be bootable on Raspberry Pi 4 but just in case it doesn't work I'd not wanna be stuck with it.
Newbie
Nov 18, 2014
48 posts
30 upvotes
Bolton, ON
One could consider NVMe + Enclosure for future proofing but for the price this is great. Thanks OP.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)