Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

SanDisk Extreme Portable 1TB Solid State Drive (SSD) For $99.97 in store YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2022 11:55 am
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16846 posts
5317 upvotes
Markham
kevinkuo wrote: Interesting - It's great that this design gives you some additional options for rescuing your data in the off chance that the USB port or controller board dies.

Though if you're looking for a M.2 SATA drive to use in your desktop from the start, the WD Blue 1TB is basically the same price. No shucking involved and you won't void your warranty. If your computer supports NVMe, the HP EX920 is on clearance at CC for $110.
Careful buying HP SSD, they no longer support it. ( Basically no Warranty)
and will only warranty if it came from a HP Computer. ( that is what HP Rep said, When I called in
asking for HP SSD S600 Warranty)
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Dec 1, 2018
430 posts
393 upvotes
ON
hystavito wrote: What's the return policy on this?

These are supposed to be bootable on Raspberry Pi 4 but just in case it doesn't work I'd not wanna be stuck with it.
good question. i am also looking to stick this with rpi. did you already check if it works? or are you going to?
KUBA: Know Understand Believe and Act.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1131 posts
373 upvotes

These are supposed to be bootable on Raspberry Pi 4 but just in case it doesn't work I'd not wanna be stuck with it.
It's Costco - they'll take pretty much anything back
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3942 posts
1392 upvotes
Belle River
ArtJobs wrote: good question. i am also looking to stick this with rpi. did you already check if it works? or are you going to?
I haven't tried it, and I cannot remember where I read that it was compatible, so now I'm doubting my memory. I thought it was on these pages but I couldn't find it again:
https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... pgrade-30/
https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... sh-drives/
https://jamesachambers.com/new-raspberr ... oot-guide/
Dec 1, 2018
430 posts
393 upvotes
ON
hystavito wrote: I haven't tried it, and I cannot remember where I read that it was compatible, so now I'm doubting my memory. I thought it was on these pages but I couldn't find it again:
https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... pgrade-30/
https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... sh-drives/
https://jamesachambers.com/new-raspberr ... oot-guide/
thnx, need to try. i am trying to setup an esxi host on rpi(no experience) and need storage. may boot from sd and mount the ssd as external storage.
Feb 27, 2004
279 posts
219 upvotes
tweebs2 wrote: I just bought a USB M.2 external case and a 1TB WD SSD NVMe for about $180 total, thinking it would be a better/faster choice. Unfortunately, even with a Thunderbolt 3 connection it maxes out at 1000 MB/s. The SSD maxes 3000 MB/s when directly connected to a M.2 PCIe and only 40MB/s when connected to a USB 3.1gen1 port. Unfortunately I only have a one Thunderbolt 3 connector and I need it for my docking station. I should be able to get around 550MB/s with USB3.0

In short save your money and buy this if you won't be using this with a USB 3.1gen2 or later.
The reason you are only getting 40mb/s on the USB port is because your cable isn’t good enough and it’s running at USB 2 speed. I had the same issue and bought a new cable specifically designed for high speed USBC to USB A and the speeds are what they should be.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2501 posts
145 upvotes
York

My receipt says 90 days.

Would also like to try this on a Pi 4, but I wouldn't expect myself to get around to giving it a go until 2 months and 29 days from now lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3942 posts
1392 upvotes
Belle River
ArtJobs wrote: thnx, need to try. i am trying to setup an esxi host on rpi(no experience) and need storage. may boot from sd and mount the ssd as external storage.
When you look up reports of which USB adapters work to boot the RPi4, you also need to consider how recent the reports are. I once got a known working adapter made by Eluteng, and a couple weeks later ordered another, but the manufacturer had changed it without changing the name or model number and it no longer worked.
Dec 1, 2018
430 posts
393 upvotes
ON
hystavito wrote: When you look up reports of which USB adapters work to boot the RPi4, you also need to consider how recent the reports are. I once got a known working adapter made by Eluteng, and a couple weeks later ordered another, but the manufacturer had changed it without changing the name or model number and it no longer worked.
got it, thanks
Aug 16, 2010
412 posts
208 upvotes
Gtabuddy wrote: The reason you are only getting 40mb/s on the USB port is because your cable isn’t good enough and it’s running at USB 2 speed. I had the same issue and bought a new cable specifically designed for high speed USBC to USB A and the speeds are what they should be.
Thanks, apparently I don't own that cable (and I have a good assortment of USB-A to USB-C cables). It's too bad the USB standard is confusing as hell. Cables aren't clearly labeled 'USB3.1 genXxY rev3 5Gbps on Tuesday and Thursday only after 5pm'
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7048 posts
4902 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone use it on Xbox X as an external drive?
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10469 posts
3981 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: Anyone use it on Xbox X as an external drive?
I am thinking of getting it for that reason. Then again I have fiber internet, so I could just erase and redownload games as needed to my XSX
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Jul 23, 2011
818 posts
630 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
sonyHdr12 wrote: Anyone use it on Xbox X as an external drive?
Curious also. Kid wants an external drive for his birthday.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5367 posts
3060 upvotes
GTA
just as a point of reference, I was in the York Tech Drive Costco in Markham yesterday and I did not see these anywhere
Jul 19, 2020
10 posts
27 upvotes
IMHO the quality is pretty good. I've been using one of these in my Tesla for year now for dash cam/music library. I do like it. The cable is to a USB-C with a small connector from USB-C to USB-A. The connection to that connector is a bit loose & drop the connection if you have it plugged into a laptop & walking around or something. So if you want it for the USB-C = fantastic, but if you want it for the connector to USB-A just note this issue that the devise should be kept static.
Apr 5, 2009
116 posts
354 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: I am thinking of getting it for that reason. Then again I have fiber internet, so I could just erase and redownload games as needed to my XSX
From my research not all games can be played from an external drive, haven't look up recent information but this was a list from 5 months ago:

reddit list
May 12, 2011
69 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
It is regular price $159.99 at Downsview today.
Feb 28, 2021
443 posts
830 upvotes
129.99 in Calgary and also not in. Stock anyways. Got them to check