Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Schwinn IC4 $999.99 YMMV

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2021 4:12 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1210 posts
666 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: So build quality aside, what's the real advantage of this bike vs $300 range bikes?
This has magnetic resistance, the $300 ones have friction resistance. My old spin bike was a well reviewed budget model with friction resistance, however it developed a weird and very loud vibration in the friction mechanism which I couldn't fix. My choices were to use the bike at very low levels or throw it away.
So yeah currently I'm shopping around for a bike trainer since I think it gonna work best for me :)
However, out of curiosity, is magnetic resistance more reliable long term?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1132 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto Update as of 10:15 on Oct 4:

0 left at Hwy427 & Hwy7
1 left at Dixie (Mississauga)
4 left at Brampton warehouse
Member
Dec 10, 2008
258 posts
152 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: So build quality aside, what's the real advantage of this bike vs $300 range bikes? As I understand Peloton apps functionality is very limited ( you can't participate in their scoring board) and it works only for RPMs. Is it worth it paying $400-$500 premium just for that? Bikes gets decent scores on YouTube reviews, but not near perfect ( 60-80 out of 100) so what am I missing? It's over $1100 after taxes in the end Confused Face
The Peloton functionality is limited compared to the Peloton bike but it still works great as long as you are on iOS (I think Android is still way behind but haven't checked recently). There are a few nice to haves that you can't get like scoreboard that impacts the experience and matching resistance is a pain (they are both scale 0-100, but you need to do some rough conversions up to 50) but overall they pair well together for a much better workout experience than just a budget bike. I can't speak for other people, but maintaining intensity on something like a bike can be challenging so getting some coaching in this format can have a huge impact on how effective your workout is.

Plus, the app subscription costs much less than what a Peloton owner has to pay, and if you don't like Peloton, you can choose other apps like Zwift. And if you still decide after trying those it's not for you, you're just left with a superior piece of equipment.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
14998 posts
9397 upvotes
Toronto
mcfrugal wrote: Toronto Update as of 10:15 on Oct 4:

0 left at Hwy427 & Hwy7
1 left at Dixie (Mississauga)
4 left at Brampton warehouse
Thanks

Anyone seen stock at any other Toronto stores?
Sr. Member
Apr 7, 2020
510 posts
1455 upvotes
The Costco sign says it's got a 15" screen?
Sr. Member
Mar 17, 2005
516 posts
212 upvotes
govas19 wrote: This has magnetic resistance, the $300 ones have friction resistance. My old spin bike was a well reviewed budget model with friction resistance, however it developed a weird and very loud vibration in the friction mechanism which I couldn't fix. My choices were to use the bike at very low levels or throw it away.
So yeah currently I'm shopping around for a bike trainer since I think it gonna work best for me :)
However, out of curiosity, is magnetic resistance more reliable long term?
Magnetic resistance mechanism has no physical contact between the fly wheel and the magnetic to produce resistance. One should consider it should last very long period as long as the magnetic plates do not fell off. The generated resistance force at the magnetic/fly wheel is not very high, and it is magnified by gears or pulleys.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1210 posts
666 upvotes
shimh wrote: Magnetic resistance mechanism has no physical contact between the fly wheel and the magnetic to produce resistance. One should consider it should last very long period as long as the magnetic plates do not fell off.
Thx. Can the magnetic plates actually fall off?
I understand how it works, but my question was more related to ppl having experience with this. Obviously there is no contact, but I'm guessing there are other things that can go wrong as well with a magnetic mechanism.
For example, for resistance mechanisms, there is the one with the pad on top and another type with one pad on each side, each having their advantages and disadvantages. I had the one with the pad on top (supposedly the better design) and the issue I had was with the steel spring which pushed the pad on the wheel.
This kind of experience I mean.
Sr. Member
Mar 17, 2005
516 posts
212 upvotes
govas19 wrote: Thx. Can the magnetic plates actually fall off?
I understand how it works, but my question was more related to ppl having experience with this. Obviously there is no contact, but I'm guessing there are other things that can go wrong as well with a magnetic mechanism.
For example, for resistance mechanisms, there is the one with the pad on top and another type with one pad on each side, each having their advantages and disadvantages. I had the one with the pad on top (supposedly the better design) and the issue I had was with the steel spring which pushed the pad on the wheel.
This kind of experience I mean.
My elliptical machine has the magnetics-on-two-side type. This mechanism has a spring pulling the magnetics away from the fly wheel, and there is a motor moving the magnetics to control how much the magnetics plates overlap the flywheel. It has an issue with fly wheel bearings, but I think the issue has nothing to do with the magnetic resistance mechanism. The magnetic resistance mechanism is working fine for 2.5 years.
Last edited by shimh on Oct 4th, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1864 posts
2145 upvotes
West GTA
I have the bowflex c6 (same bike as this one, just rebranded with minor differences) and have used it for a while. This bike rocks. Construction is pretty good, the flywheel is heavy and solid (actually better than the peloton wheel), smooth magnetic resistance, and connects to everything really easily - heart rate monitors, tablets, all the apps. Connects to the peloton app in seconds, and the app is great - don't have leaderboard or power scoring, but you have heart rate, RPM, workout graphs, all that fun stuff so unless you really love being tracked . Resistance is different up to 50 (larger flywheel makes it a bit higher at low resistance), but it takes about one workout to get used to the conversion and if you want you can get a conversion magnet on etsy. Unlike peloton, it also lets you use apple fitness, echelon, etc.

It does require a tablet or TV to access the apps, but I don't mind - many of the apps now have a lot of workouts off the bike, so being able to easily move your tablet from the bike to the floor is a big plus. It also has a pretty uncomfortable seat, which I solved with a gel pad. It has dual pedals - toe cage for newbies and SPD clips once you've gotten comfortable with the bike (the clips are a lot better). I did get a bit of squeaking on one pedal that was fixed with a small piece of plumber's tape (30 second fix). It has a little monitor screen on the front of the bike, but it does a terrible job with one of the most important numbers - RPM. It uses a weird power bar and not a number. In the app it's fine, shows it numerically.

Overall it's a decent spin bike and pretty good price if you actually plan on using it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5385 posts
3443 upvotes
jcamldn wrote: The Costco sign says it's got a 15" screen?
Pretty sure that's wrong.

IC4 just has a tablet holder.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2303 posts
128 upvotes
6 units on the floor at Scarborough Warden as of 6:30pm today.
Member
User avatar
Feb 11, 2017
337 posts
265 upvotes
Ottawa
How does this compare to the 699 echelon that Walmart had? All around and specifically for how well or not well it integrates with peloton
Member
Dec 10, 2008
258 posts
152 upvotes
hvc wrote: Pretty sure that's wrong.

IC4 just has a tablet holder.
"Full colour screen" is a bit disingenuous as well if it's referring to the small display on the bike.
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2010
915 posts
336 upvotes
Does this bike hurt your taint after 15 mins?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5385 posts
3443 upvotes
Ah1800 wrote: How does this compare to the 699 echelon that Walmart had? All around and specifically for how well or not well it integrates with peloton
Better, I think. Integrates nicely with Peloton (you'll need to dial in your resistance, you can find the #s online).

Is it worth $300 more? That's your call.
Member
Dec 10, 2008
258 posts
152 upvotes
sony17 wrote: Does this bike hurt your taint after 15 mins?
Yes, I removed my seat so that it hurts right away.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
631 posts
1435 upvotes
ottawa
Ah1800 wrote: How does this compare to the 699 echelon that Walmart had? All around and specifically for how well or not well it integrates with peloton
Get this one. Same price and works with automatic resistance with peloton and many other apps. No other bike in this price bracket can do automatic resistance similar to peloton plus bike.
Just need $7 bridge application called QZ

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ec ... e/15323316
Newbie
Feb 23, 2013
17 posts
1 upvote
Hi, can anyone confirm if it includes the 1 year free of their app JRNY? I will call tomorrow but no code included.

I just bought one from Burlington, they has 4 left. Also, seems like some of the others are getting a few., Kitchener and Waterloo.
Newbie
Aug 18, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
Just picked one up at the Gatineau store. There were about 5 left.

Top