• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2021 12:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5258 posts
2334 upvotes

[Costco] Scotts Turf Builder Tough Custom Grass Seed 4 pack

$15 per bag is a pretty good deal. I think last year, it was available for $16 per bag after a coupon and the thread was pretty popular.

50% Tall Fescue, 30% Kentucky Bluegrass, and 20% Fine Fescue

Worth noting this upcoming sale below
Junta007 wrote: It's same price at Peavy Mart (formerly known as TSC Stores) for individual pack from April 1st.
Qualifies price match and beat by 10% at Lowes or Home Depot.
Last edited by DogeMusk on Mar 30th, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
111 replies
Oct 14, 2014
175 posts
359 upvotes
Halifax, NS
If it doesn't germinate or you're not happy with it... how do you return it to Costco? :-)
Jun 4, 2006
345 posts
215 upvotes
No time machine here, but 25 kg of CIL coated seed (2338471‌) was $100 at Costco back in fall. At nearly 3X the price, is this stuff that much better?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2809 posts
1551 upvotes
Barrie
odedol wrote: If it doesn't germinate or you're not happy with it... how do you return it to Costco? :-)
Take back the empty bag and say you weren't happy with it.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3432 posts
4322 upvotes
thefragger wrote: No time machine here, but 25 kg of CIL coated seed (2338471‌) was $100 at Costco back in fall. At nearly 3X the price, is this stuff that much better?
I bought the CIL coated seeds... they grew very well. I had a large area of total weeds and no grass. I dug entire thing up, and used those CIL coated seeds and the entire area grew back. However due to the mixture, only 1/3 will grow back this year in the spring, so I am trying to see how it will look. Will need to reseed the area anyways.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2013
1549 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
renegadeavenger wrote: I bought the CIL coated seeds... they grew very well. I had a large area of total weeds and no grass. I dug entire thing up, and used those CIL coated seeds and the entire area grew back. However due to the mixture, only 1/3 will grow back this year in the spring, so I am trying to see how it will look. Will need to reseed the area anyways.
Will 100% of these grow back next year? I would rather not be reseeding every year
Apr 8, 2005
819 posts
306 upvotes
It says 30% Kentucky Bluegrass, isn't this the only seed that grows back every year?
Apr 24, 2015
25 posts
34 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
renegadeavenger wrote: Yes I believe that is the only seed that will grow back. So once again 1/3 of the seeds
I think you may be confusing some information. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure Fescue Grasses grow back each spring, but if it dies (say due to under watering) and leaves a patch of dead grass, the surrounding Fescue grass won't fill it in. Kentucky Blue Grass on the other hand naturally spreads into dead patches.
Dec 31, 2012
227 posts
125 upvotes
Ottawa
I need something that will help kill the weeds. Is there a solution for that? Buy this and buy some weed killer?
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
21228 posts
8889 upvotes
Toronto
New home owner here. Looking at removing all the bushes and dead stuff in a backyard and making it straight grass for my kids.

If we dig it all up, do we just plant seed like this or we should purchase sod? ... Roll it out over the dirt?
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2409 posts
2175 upvotes
Oakville
Reviews on both costco.ca and homedepot.ca are not great. Anyone have any experience with this mix or other recommendations?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5318 posts
3306 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: New home owner here. Looking at removing all the bushes and dead stuff in a backyard and making it straight grass for my kids.

If we dig it all up, do we just plant seed like this or we should purchase sod? ... Roll it out over the dirt?
Sod is more expensive, but I think will produce better results than seeding from scratch, most of the time. If the area is small, I would seed it and see what happens. If it's your entire backyard, maybe price out the cost to prep the soil and lay sod and decide what price works better for you (seed vs sod). I believe having sod installed will run you somewhere between $1-$2/sf - I would probably hire out sod installation if you've never done it before, it's easy but also easy to mess up.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5258 posts
2334 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote:
Yes I believe that is the only seed that will grow back. So once again 1/3 of the seeds
this is wrong.
Twenty44 wrote:
I think you may be confusing some information. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure Fescue Grasses grow back each spring, but if it dies (say due to under watering) and leaves a patch of dead grass, the surrounding Fescue grass won't fill it in. Kentucky Blue Grass on the other hand naturally spreads into dead patches.

this is right.
DaVibe wrote: New home owner here. Looking at removing all the bushes and dead stuff in a backyard and making it straight grass for my kids.

you could do either. cost vs effort.
Nov 5, 2020
39 posts
7 upvotes
Manitoba

I'm new to grass too, but based on my reading last year sod would be the way to start. Getting a nice even lawn with only seed sounded like it would take a long time. With sod, I guess your kids would have access to play on it sooner. But as this is my first full year with grass, I'm no expert.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1044 posts
333 upvotes
Cambridge
Need some advice.. I want to buy some grass seeds for overseeding & repair few patches but how do I find out what type I currently have so that it matches the existing lawn?

Last year I bought the Vigoro Sun & Shade Lawn seed mix, pack says it contains Kentucky Bluegrass, Creeping Red Fescue, Intermediate Ryegrass and Perennial Ryegrass (I cannot find percentage for each on the packaging). Grass from the seeds looks different, much longer than rest of the lawn and could be easily differentiated. I bought the Sun & shade mix because my front lawn gets quite a bit of sun while side and part of back gets close to none.
Apr 8, 2015
345 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver, ON
When is everyone overseeding in the spring? I heard that when the night lows and days are both in the double digits?

I overseeded in the fall and had great results and growth but never sure about the right time during the sping with the temps.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5318 posts
3306 upvotes
jamesdavid3 wrote: When is everyone overseeding in the spring? I heard that when the night lows and days are both in the double digits?

I overseeded in the fall and had great results and growth but never sure about the right time during the sping with the temps.
cool season grasses have better results overseeding in fall vs spring.
Dec 29, 2007
530 posts
274 upvotes
Ttraww wrote: I need something that will help kill the weeds. Is there a solution for that? Buy this and buy some weed killer?
I think the theory is that if your grass is strong it will help to choke out the weeds. I would suggest the weed and feed products as well as seeding but maybe somebody with more experience can chime in