Shopping Discussion

Costco Selling Used/Returned Items as New -- Is this normal?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 9:02 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2016
36 posts
13 upvotes
GTA

Costco Selling Used/Returned Items as New -- Is this normal?

I bought a Danby dehumidifer online from costco at full price, new about a month ago, but due to mild weather in southwestern Ontario I've only been using it for the past week.

The thing dumps out a lot of hot air (common with dehumidifiers but this thing is like a hair dryer) and it seems to me like a rattling noise has become louder.

This actually seems normal for a danby dehumidifer according to some of the (negative) reviews I've seen.

However, I decided to take a look at the dehumidifier closely. The frame has light scratches and the metal grill in front of the coils at the back which suck in air are dented.

Is it normal procedure for Costco to sell refurbished/returns as new?

Especially given its a dehumidifier, which are notorious for breaking within 1-2 seasons, it's more concerning to me that it's used.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1144 posts
305 upvotes
No their policy is very strict, they don’t sell returns, damaged, or even display models.. they all get sold to auction house who In turn resale said items with no warranty or returns.that being said I’d be more inclined to think that is manufacturing damage and just poor inspection at factory. Costco will replace no problems.
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8960 posts
2471 upvotes
London
Redfisher wrote: No their policy is very strict, they don’t sell returns, damaged, or even display models.. they all get sold to auction house who In turn resale said items with no warranty or returns.that being said I’d be more inclined to think that is manufacturing damage and just poor inspection at factory. Costco will replace no problems.
Some display models get sold at my local Costco at a steep discount.
Jul 30, 2019
22 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Ottomaddox wrote: Some display models get sold at my local Costco at a steep discount.
I'll echo this, there are multiple discounted display televisions sitting on orange flatbeds for sale every time I visit.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2659 posts
1792 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Redfisher wrote: No their policy is very strict, they don’t sell returns, damaged, or even display models..
They definitely sell display models. I have bought a couple including a TV when I wasn't planning on buying a TV, and had no car in which to carry it. Had to phone someone "quick...get the car...the store closes in 5 minutes..." :D
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17691 posts
5611 upvotes
Toronto
Well I won't be surprised if they shipped you a used unit. When people ordered the Conair Even cut online they received damaged boxes and opened items.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10109 posts
6522 upvotes
GTA, ON
If it's a return then it's probably the customer who returned it repackaged so well and then lied to the Costco associate about it's status (as being used), so the associate slapped a resellable sticker on it and it went back onto the shelf. Why a customer would do that makes no sense though as Costco has an amazing no questions asked return policy.

Anyways, same thing happened to me with a tower fan. The box was perfectly taped but when I opened it, the blades were caked with dust from previous use, and it squeaked. After close examination of the sealing tape, I saw they had taped over the original tape perfectly. I was able to return back to the warehouse no problem. Told the associate and they slapped a non-resellable sticker on it.

**edit**

Just saw you bought it online. Yeah, that is strange, but probably the same reason as above except the guy at the depot didn't check over the merchandise.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6755 posts
2453 upvotes
Markham
chimaican wrote: If it's a return then it's probably the customer who returned it repackaged so well and then lied to the Costco associate about it's status (as being used), so the associate slapped a resellable sticker on it and it went back onto the shelf. Why a customer would do that makes no sense though as Costco has an amazing no questions asked return policy.

Anyways, same thing happened to me with a tower fan. The box was perfectly taped but when I opened it, the blades were caked with dust from previous use, and it squeaked. After close examination of the sealing tape, I saw they had taped over the original tape perfectly. I was able to return back to the warehouse no problem. Told the associate and they slapped a non-resellable sticker on it.

**edit**

Just saw you bought it online. Yeah, that is strange, but probably the same reason as above except the guy at the depot didn't check over the merchandise.
You mean they resell returned but never used in store?
Feb 16, 2018
948 posts
906 upvotes
chimaican wrote: If it's a return then it's probably the customer who returned it repackaged so well and then lied to the Costco associate about it's status (as being used), so the associate slapped a resellable sticker on it and it went back onto the shelf. Why a customer would do that makes no sense though as Costco has an amazing no questions asked return policy.

This, I just spent $800 on a battery operated lawn mower from Home Depot and when I opened the box it had lawn clippings in the leaf bag.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3565 posts
688 upvotes
Costco used to sell our products online which we manufactured. Basically, you order on costco website, ships directly from the manufacturer, the manufacturer sent you a damaged product.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6755 posts
2453 upvotes
Markham
Engi-Nir wrote: Costco used to sell our products online which we manufactured. Basically, you order on costco website, ships directly from the manufacturer, the manufacturer sent you a damaged product.
Finally Make sense
Jun 5, 2016
574 posts
626 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: This, I just spent $800 on a battery operated lawn mower from Home Depot and when I opened the box it had lawn clippings in the leaf bag.
You've just discovered the secret free Home Depot rental program!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1946 posts
1562 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Looks more like a few manufacturing defects to me. I’d simply return the item for another :)
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Nov 12, 2012
544 posts
235 upvotes
Port Moody
My motto for everything i buy is, if it ain't sealed, it could be used!