• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2022 1:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 10, 2021
250 posts
78 upvotes

Costco Shed

This one on sale and I plan to buy one. Want to put it on the grass and I think need to prepare a solid base for the shed. What is the easiest way to make the foundation?

https://www.costco.ca/lifetime-6-ft.-x- ... 78335.html

I surfed on youtube and seems interlocking grid system is the most simple one. But is it the easiest and cheaper method?

But where I purchase those? Can't find in HD for such kind of grid or Permeable Paver.

Thanks for your comments
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1271 posts
448 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Easiest option is to do the same thing, but instead of using the prefab plastic frame, you just use precast concrete slabs (ie. patio stones). It's the exact same methodology, just replace the plastic base with patio stones. Build you base at minimum 6 inches (12 inches ideally if you have space) outside the footprint of the patio slabs. Dig out at least 6 inches of soil and replace with a good quality crushed/recycled gravel.

Getting the base right, is more work than erecting the shed structure.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10729 posts
3432 upvotes
we did ours on a wooden platform. just made the joists treated, and for the top i used fence boards.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8323 posts
7049 upvotes
Ottawa
I like the idea of the permeable base but it strikes me as an expensive solution. I would go with precast concrete slabs as well - I like the idea of using them to make a perimeter base and filling the centre with pea gravel or ga. If you're halfway handy, these slabs can even be cut to fit perfectly under your base.

You will have to think about the drip-line on either side of the shed - that's where pea-gravel is a good idea. Also, I like having pavers or pea gravel extending a bit beyond landscaping structures to use as a "mowing strip" - so I don't have to pull out the string trimmer very often. If you go this route, you will need landscape fabric underneath any part that sees daylight or you'll be dealing with weeds. You still will get weeds but way fewer with landscape fabric.
I always upvote respectful/helpful posts wherever I encounter them.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1363 posts
1122 upvotes
Ottawa
Level dirt, a few bags of gravel, the cheapest 12x12 patio stones you can find. Easy.
Nov 10, 2019
661 posts
646 upvotes
Costco has a sale on a 6x3 Keter shed $500 at warehouse at hwy 7, saw this yesterday morning with 8 units left. You're welcome.
Images
  • Screenshot_20220316-173849__01.jpg
[OP]
Nov 10, 2021
250 posts
78 upvotes
kimchibowl wrote: Costco has a sale on a 6x3 Keter shed $500 at warehouse at hwy 7, saw this yesterday morning with 8 units left. You're welcome.
I can only find the Lifetime shed in costco but not the 6x3 keter as u mentioned