Shopping Discussion

Costco shipped the wrong item (an upgrade)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 12:39 am
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
215 posts
82 upvotes
EDMONTON

Costco shipped the wrong item (an upgrade)

I received my order today and found that the item model is actually different.
It is like Costco can read my mind, I was thinking of returning the item and wait till an upgraded model to be on sale because when the upgrade model is on sale (previously, not currently on sale) it cost the same or lower as the non-upgraded version's regular price (which I ordered). The item I got is exactly the item I was thinking to upgrade to.

In this case, would I be liable to keep what shipped to me? (Pretending it's on sale, just for me) Or I need to report to them?

Update: I called Costco, I got to keep the item and there's no warranty issue.
Last edited by windenchanter on Feb 15th, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
windenchanter wrote: I received my order today and found that the item model is actually different.
It is like Costco can read my mind, I was thinking of returning the item and wait till an upgraded model to be on sale because when the upgrade model is on sale (previously, not currently on sale) it cost the same or lower as the non-upgraded version's regular price (which I ordered). The item I got is exactly the item I was thinking to upgrade to.

In this case, would I be liable to keep what shipped to me? (Pretending it's on sale, just for me) Or I need to report to them?
Depends on what your conscious tells you. Most people would call and report what happened.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8668 posts
2595 upvotes
Mississauga
I would keep it.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
215 posts
82 upvotes
EDMONTON
Thanks, I will think about this. I wonder if this happened to others before and I wonder what they did.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1501 upvotes
I'd just keep it. You did pay for it...and there is the hassle of returning it. If you want, you can notify Costco but I highly doubt they will make you exchange it for the older model.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1264 posts
1246 upvotes
If you’re asking here then you have doubt which means go without
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1042 upvotes
They might've just shipped that because they ran out of stock of the item you ordered...
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2862 posts
2197 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
windenchanter wrote: In this case, would I be liable to keep what shipped to me? (Pretending it's on sale, just for me) Or I need to report to them?
Why the hell to people even need to ask the opinions of others? What type of person are you? Sheesh!!!

You didn't get what you ordered, I suspect quite strongly that if you got an older less updated model than you'd ordered, you would have been on the phone straight away complaining. Don't be a hypocrite.

Phone Costco and let them know, and see what they tell you to do.

Most likely it was an intentional shipment (perhaps because the new model came in) and Costco will tell you to keep it. If it's not, and they don't tell you to keep it anyway, they'll send you the new item and arrange for return shipment of the other, at no cost to you.

Of course, let's assume you're a dishonest hypocrite and you keep it, but in the very near future something goes wrong with the item, guess what? You can't return it or get warranty service for you because you won't be able to provide a proof of purchase for the product you do have.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
215 posts
82 upvotes
EDMONTON
Thanks. I need to ask this question because I want to see what are people's view on this. Costco is not the victim, I am.
As you suggested, keeping the item means no proof of purchase for warranty. Contacting Costco could result in 1- keeping the item (still no warranty, no proof of purchase), or 2 - they pick up the previous item, then reship the item.
Either way, there's a cost for me, but that cost is imposed by Costco's mistake. It may not be obvious, but it takes time to contact them, takes time to stay at home for their pick up or receiving delivery. It also cost costco to ship things 3 times. I think it is unlikely intentional, as it causes warranty nightmare.
The only difference between getting a less updated model and getting an updated model is that getting less updated model leaves no choice but suffer the loss.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5604 posts
4829 upvotes
Edmonton
Good luck trying to return it. Companies are generally very stupid when it comes to any type of "out of the box" or "critical thinking". They are simply not equipped to deal with stuff like that - it will just confuse them and probably end up costing them more money in labour. The manager will have to get involved and numerous phone calls made, then they will need to pay for return shipping and then send you the proper item. Honestly they would probably prefer you just keep the item they sent you.

That being said, if you choose not to return it now and fix the problem, then you won't have any warranty or Costco return ability in the future if it breaks. E.g., 1 year down the road, it breaks, you won't be able to return it to Costco because the item won't match the receipt.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
215 posts
82 upvotes
EDMONTON
Yes, exactly. I agree with you. I would prefer more flexibility on their side, but in reality, I think it is unlikely to be straightforward. It will end up costing them more.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2862 posts
2197 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
windenchanter wrote: Thanks. I need to ask this question because I want to see what are people's view on this.
No, you ask the question because you want to be able to justify being a dishonest hypocrite.
Costco is not the victim, I am.
Yeah...sure.
As you suggested, keeping the item means no proof of purchase for warranty. Contacting Costco could result in 1- keeping the item (still no warranty, no proof of purchase),
Actually, I am confident that Costco would provide you with a receipt for the corrected item, or if nothing else they'd give you something in writing you have confirmation there.
2 - they pick up the previous item, then reship the item.
Either way, there's a cost for me, but that cost is imposed by Costco's mistake.

There's certainly no financial cost, and as far as the cost of time, sometimes there's a little inconvenience to doing the right thing, and if they undershipped your purchase instead of overshipped, I can guarantee you'd be demanding they get that replacement option out to you ASAP.
It may not be obvious, but it takes time to contact them
Oooh...a phone call or two to the online store customer service number. Wow. Less effort than you put in to making the original post here, most likely. Once again, I can guarantee you would have been on the phone straight away if you realised you were undershipped.
takes time to stay at home for their pick up or receiving delivery.
...something which you can schedule at a time suitable for you, in most cases.
It also cost costco to ship things 3 times.
Not your problem.
I think it is unlikely intentional, as it causes warranty nightmare.

Very possible. And since you acknowledge that you know it's very possibly an error shipment, you should also know that's enough to make you liable for the difference in price. There will be people here who say "oh, it's an unsolicited item, so you can keep it..." but as has been discussed in multiple similar threads, this is a different situation and in previous posts I've given some examples of exclusions to the 'unsolicited merchandise' consumer protections.
The only difference between getting a less updated model and getting an updated model is that getting less updated model leaves no choice but suffer the loss.
The supposed loss here is a little bit of time, and no financial expense to you. As I've already said, Costco very well may tell you to keep the item since any cost differential would possibly be surpassed by shipping costs associated with making the correction, so hey...you've done the proper thing and you've got your upgraded model.

In most jurisdictions you are legally obliged to make a reasonable effort to correct the mistake - just as a retailer is legally obliged to do the same if the mistake was in their favour. I've been shipped incorrect items a few times in my life, and most of the time I've been told to keep the item, and at least once I was shipped the correct item and told I could do what I want with the incorrect merchandise.

You asked what you should do? You shouldn't be a dishonest hypocrite, and - just like declaring honestly at the border even if you're waaaay over your duty free allowance, you may be surprised with the result.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2571 posts
1698 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote: Depends on what your conscious tells you. Most people would call and report what happened.
My conscious loses all ability when dealing with corporations.

The only time I would ever take advantage of a situation, is when it involves a corporation.

Keep it and have fun.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1007 posts
1516 upvotes
scarborough
how about warranty

you have no proof of purchase for that item
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
215 posts
82 upvotes
EDMONTON
I called costco customer service.
The rep said, just keep it. If I really don't want to keep it, then they can schedule a pickup.
I mentioned about the warranty. They said that it is not an issue.
I was given the manufacturer's phone number and confirmed with them they will honour the warranty regardless it is a different model.

So case solved.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
moulamou wrote: My conscious loses all ability when dealing with corporations.

The only time I would ever take advantage of a situation, is when it involves a corporation.

Keep it and have fun.
To each his own.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
windenchanter wrote: I called costco customer service.
The rep said, just keep it. If I really don't want to keep it, then they can schedule a pickup.
I mentioned about the warranty. They said that it is not an issue.
I was given the manufacturer's phone number and confirmed with them they will honour the warranty regardless it is a different model.

So case solved.
Congrats. You did the right thing and got rewarded.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1849 posts
455 upvotes
Calgary
The source sent me a duplicate item. I called it in and they basically said thanks for the call and to enjoy it. Most places won't ask for it back.