• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2020 5:29 pm
[OP]
Dec 10, 2003
768 posts
250 upvotes
Markham

[Costco] Shun Classic 6-piece Block Set with Pull-through Sharpener $349.99

Looks like Costco online added Shun knives to their selection.

The 6 piece set looks decent, The main knife is a 8in hollow ground; should make a "starter" set that has everything you need, including the odd "herb shears" (wish it has proper kitchen shears)

Includes:
8.2 cm (3.25 in.) vegetable knife
15.2 cm (6 in.) utility knife
20.3 cm (8 in.) hollow ground chef knife
22.8 cm (9 in.) combination honing steel
Herb shears
6-slot Slimline Block
Diamond pull-through sharpener
31 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3696 posts
5020 upvotes
Oakville
chestnut wrote: Looks like Costco online added Shun knives to their selection.

The 6 piece set looks decent, The main knife is a 8in hollow ground; should make a "starter" set that has everything you need, including the odd "herb shears" (wish it has proper kitchen shears)

Includes:
8.2 cm (3.25 in.) vegetable knife
15.2 cm (6 in.) utility knife
20.3 cm (8 in.) hollow ground chef knife
22.8 cm (9 in.) combination honing steel
Herb shears
6-slot Slimline Block
Diamond pull-through sharpener
I have three collections: shun, wushtof, and global. The shuns are right up there for certain in the japanese categories (blade angles).
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3589 posts
2255 upvotes
West Coast
For Shun, this is decent deal. I'm not a huge fan of their stuff due to being (IMO) overpriced for what you're getting, but they're still solid. Caution to this lease experienced with sharpening and blade maintenance as shun has historically used vg10 steel, although this set seems to be "vg-max" so I'm unsure of how different that might be. Vg10 is hard, so edge retention is solid, but it does chip more easily than some other comparable steels.

For my personal tastes, the block and honing rod likely have little longterm value as the block will be easily outgrown and I have found that many folks move to ceramic honing rods over steel, plus the scissors, as noted by the OP, aren't the conventional kitchen shears.

If you're wanting to get into Shun and these three knifes fit what you want, then it's a reasonable deal, but if you'll need room for expansion or are unsure what you'll use, I think there are better options for the near 400 dollars you'll be into this set for.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Aug 2, 2018
22 posts
3 upvotes
Pretty good deal. I have the Shun classic 8”chef knife I’ve had for 6 years and love it. Alton Brown endorses these too, for what ever that is worth.
Jun 9, 2019
482 posts
1015 upvotes
Love Shun. Have had a smaller set for years now.
Feb 6, 2019
463 posts
1075 upvotes
Niagara Region
I have been using Shun knives for 5+ years and love them. The Classic series is a step up from the basic Sora line and well worth the extra money. This is a good deal to get started!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2372 posts
5224 upvotes
Markham
The 8" chef knife is useful, the other 2 are probably not for the average person.

I find labeling shears and blocks as "pieces" really misleading (even though it is industry standard). It's almost as bad as labeling lids as "pieces".
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
374 upvotes
Shuns are like apple products. Looks sexy, excellent fit/finish but overpriced AF.
If you actually use the 2 smaller knives as much as the big one and value the block than I guess its good value.
That being said usually most people use their chef knife 90% of the time and a small pairing knife 10% of the time.
The sharpener is "alright" I always prefer waterstones. The shears are meh.

Things to note:
Shuns are like german knives. Super curvy and heavy esp handle. More suited to rock chopping.
Unlike german knives just like any other japanese knive they can chip if you cut anything harder than butternut squash.
To my knowledge vgmax is just vg10 rebranded. VG10 isn't anything special anymore nowadays.
Personally I hate vg10 as they feel "gummy" when sharpening on waterstones as opposed to the "crisp" feel I get with higher end steels. ie hitachi paper steels/carbons/powdered steels

Overall seems like a good gift option just because it has that "wow" factor.
Personally if I was given $350 to build a set I would go with spending around $200 on a good chef knife, get a 3 pack of cheapo pairing knife for $10-$20, a cermaic hone for around $60 and around $60 for a 1000/6000 combo water stone. Total= Around $340

Or there is always the budget route of
Victorinox fibrox for around $50, ceramic hone for around $60, 3 pack of cheapo pairing knife for $10-$20 and 1k/6k combo waterstone for around $60. Total=Around $200
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17786 posts
10319 upvotes
Ottawa
mewko1502 wrote: ut squash.
To my knowledge vgmax is just vg10 rebranded.
They seem to make a distinction between their VG10 and VGMax in terms of composition. It seems like the Max is VG10 2.0 (the sequel)

https://www.kai-europe.com/kitchen/mate ... hp?lang=en
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
374 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: They seem to make a distinction between their VG10 and VGMax in terms of composition. It seems like the Max is VG10 2.0 (the sequel)

https://www.kai-europe.com/kitchen/mate ... hp?lang=en
Interesting. Sadly we won't know for sure unless they release the actual composition of vg max. Also said claim is from kai, parent company of shun....
They claim more carbon in vg max = harder yet the hrc number is different....

Edit: Found composition http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/Takefu/vgmax.shtml
Seems like slight improvements. Same hardness though
Jun 12, 2020
98 posts
136 upvotes
FYI the chef knife is at bedbathbeyond for $155.

I have the same one and it's comfortable and sharp.

Once you have a good chef knife, you won't use your other knives. Why take out 3 knives when you can use 1?

Honestly, you can survive life with just a good chef knife and cheap honing steel. Get it sharpened every few years and never buy a knife again.

Except for a bread knife. You need a long-ass bread knife. It doubles as a cake-cutting knife for birthday parties. Don't let your friends touch your chef knife.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1978 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
Stick with the 8” chef as we found it very versatile.

We went with the Wusthof Ikon 6 years ago as it had a nice balance and a good grip on the handle.

Cheers !
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Aug 23, 2005
616 posts
439 upvotes
Ontario
Lefties might need to take notice that these are D shaped handles.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1631 posts
665 upvotes
I still have my Shun knives for the last 15 years, similar set to the above link. I love my set and would recommend it.

However as noted from above it does chip, so dont cut bones or anything like that.

I typically use the vegetable knife to cut small things but when I need to cut a lot of stuff I use the chef's knife. My wife likes the utility knife.
Jun 15, 2004
17 posts
53 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I rather spent 300 for a decent chef knife over a block set. If you cook daily, you will find 95% of your cutting time you are holding the chef knife.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)