• Jan 6th, 2018 12:28 am
[OP]
Jan 7, 2011
18 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Sky Viper v2450 GPS Streaming Video Drone with Autopilot

Available in Costco warehouse for 69.97
Call in local Costco and check for Item # 1159891 before heading out. Laird Drive Costco (Mississauga South) has about 20 left on floor as of noon today.
14 replies
Nov 25, 2017
736 posts
565 upvotes
woo, luckily i returned mine when it was 140. Waste of money, crappy drone. Save up and get a real drone if you want one, only problem is they are pretty much illegal now
Nov 8, 2007
728 posts
452 upvotes
Edmonton
Shawnies wrote: woo, luckily i returned mine when it was 140. Waste of money, crappy drone. Save up and get a real drone if you want one, only problem is they are pretty much illegal now
A couple of observations, 1) the v2450GPS has a published weight of 118g which is less then the 250g limit, so drone rules do not apply; 2) with the new (what I considered less restrictive) rules around aerodomes (30m from people vehicles etc, 1.8km from helicopter pads and 5.5km from airports), it is quite easy to find places to fly now. Just my perspective.
I know nothing about the v2450GPS but at that price, I don't mind having something to "crash" around the backyard.
Thanks OP.
Dec 18, 2004
194 posts
101 upvotes
Dartmouth
I picked one up. I have been waiting for them to drop the price. Includes 2 batteries, a 16gb micro sd card and replacement blades.

Thanks op
Dec 30, 2011
289 posts
158 upvotes
NEPEAN
I woudn't mind getting a price adjustment done. Wonder If Ottawa Costco would see that on thier system?
Dec 18, 2004
194 posts
101 upvotes
Dartmouth
Dagwould wrote: I woudn't mind getting a price adjustment done. Wonder If Ottawa Costco would see that on thier system?
Have you flown the drone? If so, are you getting 12 min on battery? Any comments good or bad.
Dec 30, 2011
289 posts
158 upvotes
NEPEAN
Falcon2004 wrote: Have you flown the drone? If so, are you getting 12 min on battery? Any comments good or bad.
I have not had it outside..too cold. I figure the plastic would shatter if I crash it. Only hovered it a bit inside my house bit not long enough to exercise battery life. Video stream quality was ok but that is mostly in hover with a slow figure 8 type flight indoors. The short vldeo cap I did was better than I had hoped based on what I have read on some sites. For $139 I paid I was happy but I would be happier at.$69 Lol.

I bought this as well not expecting DJi Quality. I just want something to capture our Family Camping trips from overhead without paying $1400 bucks.

Can you post or PM me your reciept?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15792 posts
2391 upvotes
Tumster wrote: A couple of observations, 1) the v2450GPS has a published weight of 118g which is less then the 250g limit, so drone rules do not apply; 2) with the new (what I considered less restrictive) rules around aerodomes (30m from people vehicles etc, 1.8km from helicopter pads and 5.5km from airports), it is quite easy to find places to fly now. Just my perspective.
I know nothing about the v2450GPS but at that price, I don't mind having something to "crash" around the backyard.
Thanks OP.
Is there a map of place you can actually fly real drones?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2011
18 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Shawnies wrote: woo, luckily i returned mine when it was 140. Waste of money, crappy drone. Save up and get a real drone if you want one, only problem is they are pretty much illegal now
Having hard time interpreting your comments:
Is it that you you returned yours when you became aware of the laws or you're suggesting to buy only the $1000+ drones which are legal?
Appreciate if you can clarify.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2011
18 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Tumster wrote: A couple of observations, 1) the v2450GPS has a published weight of 118g which is less then the 250g limit, so drone rules do not apply; 2) with the new (what I considered less restrictive) rules around aerodomes (30m from people vehicles etc, 1.8km from helicopter pads and 5.5km from airports), it is quite easy to find places to fly now. Just my perspective.
Thanks OP.
Thanks for the preview of the rules. Actually I was unaware of these as well. I dug up a bit further and found the following useful link for drone enthusiasts.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... .html#tips
Surprisingly drone rules don't apply to less than 250 gms drones but Transport Canada have flying tips for this category.
Hope this will be helpful for some.
Dec 12, 2004
978 posts
367 upvotes
Git one from Waterloo... Many thanks OP...
I understand this is not top of the line drone, but for $70, I don't think there is a better starting point than this...
Mar 28, 2011
876 posts
646 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up one when it was $99.97 last week

Still gonna return it this week even if I can get it for $69.97 as flying time is really low and I realized the 720p is not something I want quality wise to capture overhead footage of family events.

Each battery lasts for 3-4mins flight indoor and when you use the app and record video it cuts flying time down even more. If you fly it outside now with the -20 and lower temps, probably only get 1-2min flight time. Charges take over 1 hr per battery

It doesn't have headless mode so you gotta pay attention if you fly without the app where the front of the done is

Overall get it as a toy and within a few days you will get the hang of flying drones but I think now I will save up and get at least a dji spark if I want to capture nice overhead footage at 1080p with a stabilizing gimbal
Jan 14, 2011
80 posts
13 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Picked one up at Costco Okotoks. There were about 10 left at 3PM today. Seems like a great deal for 70$. This will scratch my itch until I can stomach spending serious cash on a nice one.
Dec 30, 2011
289 posts
158 upvotes
NEPEAN
Tried 2 diff stores locally, They wont give me a price adjustment because there is no stock in stores around here and I am more than 30 days out from purchase date. If they had stock, they would have done it for me. grrrr

you guys are getting a good deal at $70.

Told both Costco guys I was going to fly the crap out of the drone and return it for refund. They both said no problem. Go figure.

Btw, Flew mine again indoors tonight. got about 8 min on it including a few videos and about 6 still shots. I also had FPV streaming. Not much you can do in a 12 x 12 living room with Xmas tree. Going outside with it tomorrow if the wind dies down.
Nov 25, 2017
736 posts
565 upvotes
atifhamid wrote: Having hard time interpreting your comments:
Is it that you you returned yours when you became aware of the laws or you're suggesting to buy only the $1000+ drones which are legal?
Appreciate if you can clarify.
I returned mine because after a day or two I realized this drone is a piece of crap. The battery sucks, the video quality is horrendous, and the range is garbage. At $70 it’s a better value but at $140 forget it. I was suggesting to save up and get a real dji drone which would be in a whole other league than this. Only issue are the laws which basically won’t let you fly it anywhere but farm land or woods. Obviously fly where you want but you could be fined $3000. DJI needs to make a 249g drone now.