[Costco] SMOKIN HOT BRISKET $8.99kg

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 12:37 am
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5917 posts
1866 upvotes
GTA
They are still getting 1-2 boxes a day and usually someone is buying a whole box a day and you end up with 2-4 briskets left which is gone by noon.

I finally was able to snag a few, brisket burgers and smoked brisket!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2347 posts
1262 upvotes
Durham
2 left at yorkdale location
Images
  • 20190731_190654.jpg
Sep 16, 2013
803 posts
435 upvotes
SW ON
I wanted to buy this. I went to Costco and found 6 or 7 briskets. I looked at all of them. All of them had roughly 50% fat on them. It's hard to judge but one side was fully covered with fat and there was a big chunk of fat on the side. It looked like they were half fat. I am not going to eat that fat. Besides, for proper curing fat should be removed from the surface. So, when I cut off all the fat it will be worth $18 per kilogram. In the fridge with wieners there is a box with Montreal smoked meat made from brisket. It's $19 per kg. Roughly the same price but already prepared.

What's the value of this raw brisket then, besides it can be prepared at home? With so much fat it's not so valuable. Would it be better to buy eye of round for about the same price with much less fat and cook it the same way? There were eye of rounds besides the briskets and they looked much better (less fat). Does anyone feel the same way?
May 30, 2016
152 posts
172 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Fat takes up more volume than muscle per gram. People never seem to realize this.

I mean don't buy it if you don't want to do trimming, but I highly doubt half the weight of that brisket is fat.
Sep 16, 2013
803 posts
435 upvotes
SW ON
Fat density is ~0.9 of meat. Not a big difference. That's why people don't have to realize that.
Dec 19, 2006
505 posts
413 upvotes
Vancouver
alpovs wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 12:33 am
I wanted to buy this. I went to Costco and found 6 or 7 briskets. I looked at all of them. All of them had roughly 50% fat on them. It's hard to judge but one side was fully covered with fat and there was a big chunk of fat on the side. It looked like they were half fat. I am not going to eat that fat. Besides, for proper curing fat should be removed from the surface. So, when I cut off all the fat it will be worth $18 per kilogram. In the fridge with wieners there is a box with Montreal smoked meat made from brisket. It's $19 per kg. Roughly the same price but already prepared.

What's the value of this raw brisket then, besides it can be prepared at home? With so much fat it's not so valuable. Would it be better to buy eye of round for about the same price with much less fat and cook it the same way? There were eye of rounds besides the briskets and they looked much better (less fat). Does anyone feel the same way?
Like others have said, fat is not nearly as heavy as muscle. Also, you can reuse the fat by making rendered fat for grilling steaks/burgers, you can make your own ground meat for burgers, etc. The advantage of doing it yourself is you get to choose your own rub and your own smoke, and you get to eat freshly made brisket. Brisket that's been pre-sliced and reheated doesn't taste the same. Also, the textures of brisket vs eye of round are vastly different, not to mention the marbling (or utter lack thereof in eye of round), and brisket has a much beefier taste than eye of round.

There is a lot of time involved in making your own smoked brisket, even if most of it is just waiting - so it's not for everyone. But for people who enjoy making smoked meats, brisket is the ultimate smoked meat to make.
Sep 14, 2004
84 posts
3 upvotes
alpovs wrote:

It is not half fat, it looked that way from the outside but its more like a quarter of weight. At least based on the one I bought. I like the chunkier point end for smoking and then I freeze the leaner flat half for stews. I agree though, if you gonna cure it, its not price competitive with pre-prepared ones (if you factor in your own time and effort). But the quality of meat is probably better, people enjoy the process and the finished product might be better.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
1811 posts
167 upvotes
If you are looking for a brisket...

Today at noon there were 3 AAA briskets left @8.99 with $10 off each at Weston and Hwy 7 Costco.
Prices ranged from ~$55-$75 before the $10 discount.
I picked up one... not too fatty, for the smoker :)
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Feb 10, 2003
989 posts
559 upvotes
Calgary
alpovs wrote:

Montreal smoked meat (which is cured) is very different from a Texas style smoked brisket (what people are typically making with this). Kinda like ham vs pork chop.
Eye of round is very lean and doesn't have a lot of collagen, so it would turn out very dense and dry.
Sep 24, 2017
3 posts
4 upvotes
Bought one of these bad boys and smoked my first brisket about a week ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Had to cut off and freeze a good portion of the flat (2-3lbs) for it to fit in my kamado, but even then it still fed 10 people (with sides). Amazing value for brisket IMO. Can't compare it cost wise to eye of round... different cuts for diff purposes.

Bark prior to wrapping
IMG_0807.jpeg

Crappy photo of the final product (point side), with smoke ring and collected juices
58587203945__AC7DAABC-C9E2-40FC-B9B3-132E8EFD8688.jpeg
Nov 17, 2004
302 posts
144 upvotes
MJB wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 1:38 pm
If you are looking for a brisket...

Today at noon there were 3 AAA briskets left @8.99 with $10 off each at Weston and Hwy 7 Costco.
Prices ranged from ~$55-$75 before the $10 discount.
I picked up one... not too fatty, for the smoker :)
Small world, I was probably there just before you. Saw these three pieces in the $50-$55 range, was not happy with the terrible fat:meat ratio ...

So I asked a friendly meat clerk and he brought out two nicer larger pieces, about $74-$75 each. I bought this $74 one and left the $75 piece in the bunker with the rest ...
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1617 posts
694 upvotes
Hamilton
iksl714 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 3:27 pm
Bought one of these bad boys and smoked my first brisket about a week ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Had to cut off and freeze a good portion of the flat (2-3lbs) for it to fit in my kamado, but even then it still fed 10 people (with sides). Amazing value for brisket IMO. Can't compare it cost wise to eye of round... different cuts for diff purposes.

Bark prior to wrapping

IMG_0807.jpeg

Crappy photo of the final product (point side), with smoke ring and collected juices

58587203945__AC7DAABC-C9E2-40FC-B9B3-132E8EFD8688.jpeg
Pro tip for the big Green egg. Drape the raw brisket over a rib rack to get more across the grill