May 17, 2006
5734 posts
1446 upvotes
GTA
Lobloco wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 4:33 am
Figures that you need a smoker.

Looks delish.

I have to work with a grill. I have wood chips so perhaps I could do a few hours of smoke and then wrap it to finish.

Thanks again for sharing.
nope no smoker! Just a gas grill, i seal it nicely and chop up hickory (chunks) and have a small burner, a container that sites high above the burner and the wood sits there and smokes up... its not perfect but never had a problem.
I was thinking of creating an extra low heat smoking container and routing it with a hose to the bbq but this works well so why bother. Only PITA is i gotta remove the seal to put wood in every hour.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5734 posts
1446 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 4:59 pm
Did I miss a memo? I always smoke first then sous vide.
Do the smoke afterwards, but make sure to cool the meat a bit after sous vide. Smoke is attracted to moisture so its bonus and if there is a fat layer bonus, will create a better crust.
May 30, 2016
121 posts
165 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Have you looked into a pellet smoking tube yet? The Amazn tube. I use one to cold smoke. Throw a heat shield over it and your bbq can keep pretty cool. The newer tubes can smoke chips too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23343 posts
8976 upvotes
porksoda wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 11:53 pm
Do the smoke afterwards, but make sure to cool the meat a bit after sous vide. Smoke is attracted to moisture so its bonus and if there is a fat layer bonus, will create a better crust.
I'll probably sous vide, chill, fridge, then smoke from cold mostly because that's the only real way I can do it with my setup.
One reason I hate having a condo...
razorblade2099 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:41 am
Have you looked into a pellet smoking tube yet?
I kinda like mine. I use it to supplement my pellet since it doesn't generate much smoke.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5734 posts
1446 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 1:30 am
I'll probably sous vide, chill, fridge, then smoke from cold mostly because that's the only real way I can do it with my setup.
One reason I hate having a condo...

I kinda like mine. I use it to supplement my pellet since it doesn't generate much smoke.
I'd sous vide and let it sit outside overnight - like if you pulled it out at 12 or 1am leave it out and smoke it next day. It's sealed and cooked and full of liquid so no worries about any contamination.
If you fridge it then you'll need to pull it out hours before smoking, you can do cold to smoker but not sure how many hours until it will be heated through could be as long as 6ish hours.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23343 posts
8976 upvotes
porksoda wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:02 pm
sit outside overnight
I mean... I get the whole smoke while warm, but I wouldn't leave meat out even if it's sealed overnight.
If I had to bring it to temp, I'd fridge it then sous vide for an hour (maybe 2) to bring it out of fridge temps.
you can do cold to smoker but not sure how many hours until it will be heated through could be as long as 6ish hours.
I'm only smoking to flavor anyway so a little extra time in the smoker wouldn't be too bad.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2991 posts
892 upvotes
Last week I was fortunate enough to get a small brisket at the Dufferin/401 Costco (toronto)

I've never seen it mentioned before - there were 2 foam tray packets with smaller briskets @ $23 and $20 each. There were a few big ones too at $60+ in cryovac packaging.
Price was $9.99/kg
I took the $23 piece which was, of course, about 2.3 kg (~5 lb)

Being my first brisket smoke ever, I was very happy to get a small brisket so that it wouldn't be hurt too much if I failed.
Either way, I smoked low and slow at ~235F with a combo of charcoal and wood.
I didn't see the stall at 160F at all. There was a bit of a slowdown around 190F so I wrapped it in foil then and brought it up to about 203F.

Harry Soo (see his youtube) taught how to test doneness - poke the meat with a skewer and the feel should be equivalent to poking into a full jar of peanut butter.
At first when it hit 203F, it didn't feel soft enough, so I let it go for another 20min. After that, it really did feel vaguely similar to what I imagine would be peanut butter.
Took it off the smoker, opened the foil slightly (so as to not trap 100% of the steam inside), wrapped the bottom and sides with a towel, and put it in the microwave (OFF of course) for 2hrs (I just considered it to be an insulated box).
Total cook time was 8hrs on the smoker.

WOW.... it honestly, truly just melted in your mouth. No dryness at whatsoever. Liquid oozing out. Individual slices were so tender and succulent that you just cut it with the side of the fork, not even a knife was needed.
Only problem is that it was SO SO SO rich and fatty. The first slice was out of this world, but I could only eat about 4 slices and then just couldn't take it any more.
This meat is best consumed in small amounts,
Still.... can't wait till I try my next brisket!
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25398 posts
3545 upvotes
Hamilton
Alright. Finally bought a 14 pounder. Any suggestions on how to smoke it? I love the vision grill.
Images
  • CFFCBC74-E20C-46B6-8626-815BAD3AABB3.jpeg
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Sep 15, 2011
912 posts
451 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
yao416 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 5:38 pm
Alright. Finally bought a 14 pounder. Any suggestions on how to smoke it? I love the vision grill.
Just did one yesterday on my Vision. I ran it at 260°F for about 7 hours then wrapped it (I wrap in parchment actually and just use toothpicks to seal it up) and kept cooking until it hit 201°. Honestly don't remember how long it ended up being on there, in the vicinity of 13 hours. Rubbed with only kosher salt and black pepper. It was phenomenal. LOVE brisket.

Of note, I had to fold over the flat (more accurately, fold UNDER) in order to fit it on the kamado. No worse for wear, all came out incredibly tender and beautifully cooked.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25398 posts
3545 upvotes
Hamilton
hoody123 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 6:44 pm
Just did one yesterday on my Vision. I ran it at 260°F for about 7 hours then wrapped it (I wrap in parchment actually and just use toothpicks to seal it up) and kept cooking until it hit 201°. Honestly don't remember how long it ended up being on there, in the vicinity of 13 hours. Rubbed with only kosher salt and black pepper. It was phenomenal. LOVE brisket.

Of note, I had to fold over the flat (more accurately, fold UNDER) in order to fit it on the kamado. No worse for wear, all came out incredibly tender and beautifully cooked.
260 for 7 hours? :o

Any pics of finished product
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1168 posts
80 upvotes
Has anyone compared the Costco brisket which I believe is Canadian AAA to a premium brisket like wagyu? Can you taste a difference after smoking it for so many hours?
Nov 13, 2007
461 posts
195 upvotes
Montreal
yao416 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 5:38 pm
Ahhh the Kamado. A perfect tool for smoking, searing, baking, etc.

My last brisket was a 16lb behemoth. Fit inside my Primo Oval XL nicely. This time I did 1/3 Kosher Salt, 1/3 cracked black pepper, 1/3 garlic powder. Though should have used Garlic granules instead of powder. but anyways i digress.

This brisket, i got up 4:30am, fire on, trimmed brisket, dusted it with the seasonings, let sit until kamado came up to temp, 225.. Put in a few blocks of smoking wood (mix of hickory and peach chunks). got a nice smoke rolling, put on the brisket, set up my Heatermeter temp monitor/controller. Then went back to sleep.

kids woke me up at 8:30 or so went about my usual day all the while checking off and on my heatermeter to see where the slab of meat has progressed. Wrapped with parchment paper (don't have butcher paper) at 160 I believe. Let it ride to 195 (at the center of the slab just where the flat meets the point). Needed to have it ready and rested for 5:30 pm supper. Total time? who knows... I generally always cook with temps, and the thermometer point push test (went in like buttah), not time. Flat was juicy, point was heavenly. Makes great pizza topping with brisket leftovers. Plus with makin pizza on the kamado, the high temps does nice job of burning off of the drippings that missed my makeshift aluminum foil bowl used to catch the majority of the drippings. End result is an awesome tasting pizza, and a clean kamado!

Just last saturday I smoked a 10lb pork butt. From the dozen or so pork butts that I've cooked over the years, they've taken anywhere from 10-15 hours on average. This last one I gave myself 12h window. This needed to be done for ~5pm. It went on the smoker at 4am. I only took it off the smoker (195deg) at 6pm. Heatermeter showed me that from 160deg to 180deg, the "stall" took 6 bloody HOURS. Was only able to rest it for 30 mins while I drove to a friends house.

Pulled like a dream, everyone scarfed it down and gave great compliments to the chef. Fixins were tortilla style. Lightly toasted on bbq Corn tortillas, spanish onions, cilantro and creamy cole slaw with a little BBQ sauce of choice and pepper sauce of choice. Heavenly, especially if you get a piece of salty fatty bark.

You win some, you lose some.

Briskets and butts have a mind of their own so make sure you plan enough time in advance. Those big slabs of meat can rest for a long time before you need to cut into it. Generally minimum an hour to rest. I rested a brisket for almost 4 hours it was still hot. Wrap it in foil, then wrap it in towels (make sure the towels are wife approved, otherwise there will be hell to pay), then place in your cooler. It'll stay nice and toasty in there for a long time until you're ready to eat.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23343 posts
8976 upvotes
CRAP!
I bought one like a week ago but forgot about it.

I should corned beef the thing before it goes fuzzy.
Jan 8, 2005
753 posts
113 upvotes
Windsor
Drewmar wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 12:21 pm
Just saw at Costco Guelph AAA Brisket on for $8.99kg. The absolute cheapest you will ever find in Canada. Not sure how long it will be at this price.
Bought some at $8.25/kg in Napean Costco ($9.99/kg minus $10/per package discount)