• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 6:08 pm
Sep 15, 2011
916 posts
458 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 9:12 am
Super Hot? not really, at least in Toronto.

I just went to Toronto Yorkdale and Woodbridge locations yesterday.
Yes, the $10 off is in effect, but the price at both locations are 9.99/kg
Either way, its a half decent discount

Yorkdale - only had big $80+ pieces available
Woodbridge - had much more selection starting at $66 up to $100
Where else can you get AAA brisket even NEAR this price? I'd love to know so I can take a big cooler and stock up.
Aug 17, 2008
556 posts
198 upvotes
SASKATOON
I didn't see 10$ off brisket in BC. Maybe an East coast sale?
Apr 18, 2007
324 posts
350 upvotes
Cambridge
hoody123 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 7:42 pm
Where else can you get AAA brisket even NEAR this price? I'd love to know so I can take a big cooler and stock up.

In Guelph they also had it for $9.99 with a $10 off discount
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2426 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
I picked one up today from Yorkdale Costco.
Marked $74, so $64 with discount. Looks kinda fatty.
Will have it sitting in fridge for at least a week.

Disclosure - This is my first brisket, and I have some decisions to make, and research to do.
Advice/feedback would be appreciated.

My plan is to cook the whole thing sv for a day or two. This would be too big for Breville smoking gun, so plan to use gas BBQ with smoke pellets in box (which I have but have never used).

I've only had my ANOVA since Dec, and have been using a large metal pot. For this brisket, am hoping to obtain a plastic container and lid (but not pay a rip-off price - looking at you Amazon). If anyone has any GTA advice...

I've only been using ziploc bags thus far. My folks have the vacuum sealer from Costco which I could borrow. I should be able to reseal with this (and the largest bag size it comes with), right?

Should I consider using either Red Boat fish sauce or the koji rice method for flavour enhancement prior to sous vide? I have both.

A few months ago, I purchased a 6 pack of wood pellet flavours on Amazon: cherry, jack Daniels, mesquite, pecan, apple, hickory. I'm a total smoking noob. Any advice on which to use?

Anyways - looking forward to popping my brisket cherry.
Sep 2, 2003
634 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
How would cut one of the bigger piece of meat to cook at later date. length wise (long) or square?
May 30, 2016
136 posts
168 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
shikotee wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 10:40 pm
I picked one up today from Yorkdale Costco.
Marked $74, so $64 with discount. Looks kinda fatty.
Will have it sitting in fridge for at least a week.

Disclosure - This is my first brisket, and I have some decisions to make, and research to do.

My plan is to cook the whole thing sv for a day or two. This would be too big for Breville smoking gun, so plan to use gas BBQ with smoke pellets in box (which I have but have never used).

I've only had my ANOVA since Dec, and have been using a large metal pot. For this brisket, am hoping to obtain a plastic container and lid (but not pay a rip-off price - looking at you Amazon). If anyone has any GTA advice...

I've only been using ziploc bags thus far. My folks have the vacuum sealer from Costco which I could borrow. I should be able to reseal with this (and the largest bag size it comes with), right?

Should I consider using either Red Boat fish sauce or the koji rice method for flavour enhancement prior to sous vide? I have both.

A few months ago, I purchased a 6 pack of wood pellet flavours on Amazon: cherry, jack Daniels, mesquite, pecan, apple, hickory. I'm a total smoking noob. Any advice on which to use?

Look into the cooler hack for SV. You don't need to drill a hole in the lid if you don't want to. Just cover the top with foil or saran wrap.

It'll fit in the largest bag, but only if you trim it. The sides of the brisket especially. Look up brisket trimming videos. You will need to trim aggressively on one side of the flat (other side of where your slices will come from). Otherwise look into getting a SV turkey bag.

I wouldn't mess with that stuff for your first brisket. Keep it simple with 40% kosher salt, 30% cracked black pepper, 10% granulated onion, 10% granulated garlic, 10% ground celery seed. Season your brisket a day or two before sous vide for the seasoning to really penetrate. Season liberally.

I would use anything other than cherry and apple for this smoke. Or if you use cherry or apple, use it in combination with some pellets of a stronger smoke such as pecan, hickory or mesquite. Don't use too much mesquite.
May 30, 2016
136 posts
168 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
sonspot wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 10:56 am
How would cut one of the bigger piece of meat to cook at later date. length wise (long) or square?
Depends on how you're cooking it. If you're doing bbq I would just cut it in half for two squares. One flat and one point square. This will also help your flat keep as much moisture as possible.

If you're doing sous vide I would cut it length wise to put it in the bag more easily and so you get a bit of both the flat and point. You could also cut it into squares if you think it would fit the bag.
Sep 2, 2003
634 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
razorblade2099 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 11:18 am
Depends on how you're cooking it. If you're doing bbq I would just cut it in half for two squares. One flat and one point square. This will also help your flat keep as much moisture as possible.

If you're doing sous vide I would cut it length wise to put it in the bag more easily and so you get a bit of both the flat and point. You could also cut it into squares if you think it would fit the bag.
I'm going to smoke it on a weber, I think the first meat on the weber will be chicken, jerk chicken that is nice and slow..
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2426 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
razorblade2099 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 11:12 am
Look into the cooler hack for SV. You don't need to drill a hole in the lid if you don't want to. Just cover the top with foil or saran wrap.

It'll fit in the largest bag, but only if you trim it. The sides of the brisket especially. Look up brisket trimming videos. You will need to trim aggressively on one side of the flat (other side of where your slices will come from). Otherwise look into getting a SV turkey bag.

I wouldn't mess with that stuff for your first brisket. Keep it simple with 40% kosher salt, 30% cracked black pepper, 10% granulated onion, 10% granulated garlic, 10% ground celery seed. Season your brisket a day or two before sous vide for the seasoning to really penetrate. Season liberally.

I would use anything other than cherry and apple for this smoke. Or if you use cherry or apple, use it in combination with some pellets of a stronger smoke such as pecan, hickory or mesquite. Don't use too much mesquite.
The clip on my device came off.
Don't want to derail to much, so started a new thread:
anova-warranty-2310749/
Also has pics of the sous vide frankencooler I made this morning.

Will have a short test run tomorrow, then next weekend, the full brisket.
Nov 5, 2009
103 posts
27 upvotes
ocisnicola wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 11:45 pm
Hard to say what the grade of the brisket at T&T is though. I think unless it specifically says AAA it's probably only AA. Certainly won't compare to prime if your Costco has that grade.
T&T's brisket is the higher quality Angus cut, I'm not sure how that translates to the Prime/AAA/AA grading system. From my experience, especially being able to be more choosy with the pieces, the quality has been better than each of the 2 'prime' packers I've gotten from Costco. As mentioned the Costco packers are a bit of a crapshoot quality wise, and I for one cannot get the huge piece all trimmed up in 10-15 minutes. Nor do I feel inclined to use the trimmed pieces/fat for anything.
Aug 31, 2008
218 posts
55 upvotes
Newmarket/Markham
Cooked mine on Friday. 17 hours on the Big Green egg. Started with a 14.5lbs brisket, trimmed to about 12.5 lbs. smoked over hickory and pecan chunks. Held temp to about 235. Salt, pepper and garlic season. Came out with a beautiful bark. Separated point and flat, made some amazing burnt ends.

I’ve hand angus before and was definitely great but this was just as good for a slightly cheaper price. Take your time with it, don’t over trim it.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
1635 posts
126 upvotes
shikotee wrote:

I pickup this from costco business centre in GTA, it was 2 for $24.99. The size is only 9 quarts

https://m.costcobusinesscentre.ca/Cambr ... 82469.html
Feb 10, 2003
972 posts
546 upvotes
Calgary
shikotee wrote:

I've done 2 SV briskets, next one I will definitely try injecting for extra moisture.

You might just barely get it to fit into a custom bag using the wider foodsaver roll after trimming the brisket... For my second one (~6kg), I separated the point from the flat, trimmed the fat, cut each into roughly square shaped halves, and bagged 1 point and 1 flat together in 2 bags. We opened and ate the meat from one bag (it's a lot of meat) while keeping the other sealed in the fridge for later (lasts a week or longer since it's pasteurized).

Keep the seasoning simple to start... Salt and pepper.

I smoked on the gas grill with wood chips after sous vide (I actually cooled mine in the fridge before warming/smoking on the grill). I'd go with a stronger wood (Mesquite or Hickory) since it won't have a lot of time to absorb smoke and the apple/cherry are a bit mild.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5805 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA
No need to inject meat with anything, if you are injecting meat with liquids then you are just overcooking the meat later and its your safety that the injection will give you "moisture".
Low n slow means the meat wont dry out!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Hashim85