Sonos Roam plus charger $269.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 3:02 pm
33 replies
Feb 8, 2007
552 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Saw these in Mississauga Laird location yesterday as well. Pretty decent deal, MSRP for both items on the Sonos website is $298 ($229 for roam and $69 for wireless charging base).

I picked up the Roam by itself for $195 using my time machine / Perkopolis 15% discount code which no longer seems to be available, but for those looking to get the wireless charging base this is probably the best deal you can get at the moment.
Dec 13, 2006
281 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
The Roam is underwhelming IMO.
Not for everyone

I owned 2 and paired them in Stereo
No what I was looking for.
I sold both of them

Sincerely,

Kelvin

Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5770 posts
5588 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Anyone know if they sell the Arc in store? I don't usually check the electronics section. Looking to get one.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6894 posts
4561 upvotes
Ottawa
Melkor wrote: Anyone know if they sell the Arc in store? I don't usually check the electronics section. Looking to get one.
They do, almost every stores have them.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Jun 13, 2005
272 posts
96 upvotes
vancouver
Bender Unit wrote: The Roam is underwhelming IMO.
Not for everyone

I sold both of them

Sincerely,

Kelvin

I'd like them to bring some of the features over to the Move - also BT stereo on the Move would be killer - I love my Move despite its heft.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
How so? We're looking to get one for poolside/back yard so we can all add our own music to the playslist, and in particular use the music on the NAS.
Does the sound suck? Battery crappy?

Hoping to find it at under $200.
Don't need the charger, overpriced when you can use any phone QI induction charger for it, which I have plenty of.

Not a bad price, likely the best we'll see as Sonos never discounts their stuff.
Aug 24, 2011
30 posts
10 upvotes
LONDON
Not for everyone

I sold both of them

Sincerely,

Kelvin

Yeah I returned mine as well. Compared to my UE boom 2 it's not as loud and has less bass. The Roam has better sound quality, but often the situations where I'd find myself using it are where I'd care less about quality. Also, 10-hour battery is not enough compared to others.
Jun 13, 2005
272 posts
96 upvotes
vancouver
I'll let Bender comment on his experience with the Roam but I use the Move (only one though I'm thinking of getting a second) in my backyard and I bring it up to my parent's place for poolside use and its great. Has a lot of power, depth and decent bass and has no problem competing with outside noises. Won't be disappointed. You can't go swimming with the Move like you can with the Roam but it is water resistant.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15427 posts
10069 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The Roam is a bit pricey compared to better sounding and longer battery lasting JBL offerings. And on our deck, I wired several speakers for greater soundstage and less cost than a couple of Move's. But we do love our Sonos inside and have Five's and One's.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2013
437 posts
512 upvotes
GATINEAU
vodka wrote: How so? We're looking to get one for poolside/back yard so we can all add our own music to the playslist, and in particular use the music on the NAS.
Does the sound suck? Battery crappy?

Hoping to find it at under $200.
Don't need the charger, overpriced when you can use any phone QI induction charger for it, which I have plenty of.

Not a bad price, likely the best we'll see as Sonos never discounts their stuff.
I'm using it right now by the pool. It's nice, sounds seems good, no complaints.
It's pricey but I have lots of other Sonos speakers and it fits nicely into the ecosystem.
Sure you can use any charger but there's something to be said for one that's aesthetically pleasing as well, exact right size (wife approves).
May 14, 2013
626 posts
1093 upvotes
RFD
This is a good price and from Costco so that's a plus!

YMMV - if you want 30% off any brand new Sonos item (including sets), keep your eyes open on Kijiji/Ebay selling old S1 products for that 30% trade-up Credit (and confirm that it hasn't been used).
Over the past couple months, I have picked up several Sonos S1 Connect:Amps for around $150-200 each (which I also use to power in ceiling speakers in my home - several zones). Many of these had Trade-Up credits that weren't used.
I bought a 5.2.2 HT Sonos set with three of the credits and saved over $1,000 with still several credits to spare to use on future products (they never expire).
But keep in mind there are 30% off credits (from S1 only products) and 15% off credits (S1 items that are compatible with S2).
May 31, 2016
587 posts
586 upvotes
I opted out of the roam as it seemed just too much money for a Bluetooth speaker when I already have a Bose that works just fine and cost half as much 2.5 years ago.

I did get one as a gift for a friend who was opening an outdoor dining area for her cafe and already used Sonos inside. She loves it, and the kitchen staff appreciates being able to move it into that area during prep/closing/rainy days when no one is eating outside.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1359 posts
467 upvotes
Hope this means they will have the Move soon.
Oct 29, 2012
103 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: The Roam is a bit pricey compared to better sounding and longer battery lasting JBL offerings. And on our deck, I wired several speakers for greater soundstage and less cost than a couple of Move's. But we do love our Sonos inside and have Five's and One's.
I tend to agree here but I’m in the Sonos ecosystem and this outweighs negatives.

Good deal here if you need wireless charger but if you have plenty of wireless chargers already just hit up best buy at $229 imo.
Oct 29, 2012
103 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
kazkira wrote: Hope this means they will have the Move soon.
My guess is the move gets discontinued
Jun 13, 2005
272 posts
96 upvotes
vancouver
rules4fools wrote: My guess is the move gets discontinued
Why? The Roam isn't a substitute for the Move. The Move is a full-size speaker, bigger than the One, and fits an important niche of a water-resistant full-size speaker capable of being either permanently parked as part of a home ecosystem or moved when convenient (i.e. around the house/yard).
May 23, 2016
151 posts
243 upvotes
I’m honestly not impressed with the battery life. If you don’t fully power off, the battery will drain in 1-2 days. Even more so if you open the Sonos app often which triggers the Roam off standby.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1359 posts
467 upvotes
rules4fools wrote: My guess is the move gets discontinued
That would be a terrible guess because the move came out only 3 years ago. Sonos support their products for a long time.