[Costco] Sony 65-in. 4K HDR Android Smart TV XBR65X950G $1798

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2019 3:25 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
611 posts
500 upvotes

[Costco] Sony 65-in. 4K HDR Android Smart TV XBR65X950G $1798

Without a GC, a new low price for the 65" Sony X950G TV. It's the same $1798/1799 at most retailers (Visions, BestBuy, Costco) for boxing day, if you missed getting a 10% GC for BF, this is a good price.

Best Buy
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... g/13375799

Visions
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/4 ... XBR65X950G

London Drugs
https://www.londondrugs.com/sony-65-in- ... 51721.html
14 replies
Apr 15, 2009
106 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
the tv looks great from the front, but from the side I think it’s not very stylish. I mean it’s a 2000$ tv you would think they would make it slimmer. I don’t get why a lot of tvs are getting thicker these days
Apr 13, 2007
37 posts
22 upvotes
Outer Earth
It's a good TV but I would never buy a TV that doesn't support HDMI 2.1 this close to 2020. Especially since HDMI 2.1 allows 4K @ 120hz. HDMI 2.1 can even support up to 10K resolutions(which is irrelevant now) but shows you just how much of a bandwidth increase it actually is. Gaming in 4K @ 120hz will also become the standard in 2020 when the PS5 and Xbox Series X are released. If you really can't wait and have to buy one now, I would go for an LG C9 series OLED which does have HDMI 2.1 support.

"HDMI 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps."
Nov 10, 2019
89 posts
39 upvotes
CANADA
I got 2 (65 and 55) of this TV series, very very good TV, picture quality is very good, as well as build quality.

Personally i am not into TV gaming, only movies / tv / tv shows.

I highly recommend this TV , especially for this price range.
the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear ...
Aug 27, 2009
11 posts
1 upvote
vancouver
Guys,

For normal TV watching, such as sports, cable and streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime, IPTV Box)... how is this TV compared to the LG OLED65B9 model?

Obviously, it’s OLED (LG) vs LED (Sony) but what’s the popular pole here?
Dec 31, 2009
43 posts
15 upvotes
hazedragon45 wrote: the tv looks great from the front, but from the side I think it’s not very stylish. I mean it’s a 2000$ tv you would think they would make it slimmer. I don’t get why a lot of tvs are getting thicker these days
Likely due to the (much better) embedded sound system
Nov 10, 2019
89 posts
39 upvotes
CANADA
I just called in to price match my purchase from $1,898.00 (even though i got already $190 gift card).

Without any issues i was able to price match it to $1,798.00.

This TV for $1508 + tax, really could not ask for better.
Nov 22, 2012
112 posts
85 upvotes
Fredericton
hazedragon45 wrote: the tv looks great from the front, but from the side I think it’s not very stylish. I mean it’s a 2000$ tv you would think they would make it slimmer. I don’t get why a lot of tvs are getting thicker these days
Also, picture qulity degrades significantly from an angle. Had to return because of that being a VA panel. Was actually worse than my 900E. If your watching exclusively from the centre sat postion then this TV rocks. If your like me where you have a need for other family or friends to view from off centre then look for something else.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6061 posts
50 upvotes
Ottawa
Is there a Boxing Day tv thread? With the parents and looking for a 50-60” that’s sub $750...
Nov 10, 2019
89 posts
39 upvotes
CANADA
ssmh131 wrote: Also, picture qulity degrades significantly from an angle. Had to return because of that being a VA panel. Was actually worse than my 900E. If your watching exclusively from the centre sat postion then this TV rocks. If your like me where you have a need for other family or friends to view from off centre then look for something else.
In our house, some of us (from time to time) watch TV from an angle, but, this really (in my opinion) depends how big the angle is, and how far you are sitting from a TV.
We do not find it bad / something that we do not like, as this was the first thing i mentioned to my wife / kids / parents and other people (asking for their opinion and how they find it), and we decided we are good with this.

I really think this mostly depends on how your furniture is placed / how far it is, how big angle is, etc. (and most importantly expectations).

There is always a better product , but, with 'better' you will need to spend more.
Dec 8, 2009
385 posts
141 upvotes
Edmonton
SilverSurfer wrote: It's a good TV but I would never buy a TV that doesn't support HDMI 2.1 this close to 2020. Especially since HDMI 2.1 allows 4K @ 120hz. HDMI 2.1 can even support up to 10K resolutions(which is irrelevant now) but shows you just how much of a bandwidth increase it actually is. Gaming in 4K @ 120hz will also become the standard in 2020 when the PS5 and Xbox Series X are released. If you really can't wait and have to buy one now, I would go for an LG C9 series OLED which does have HDMI 2.1 support.

"HDMI 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps."
There is no way the newer consoles will do 4k 120 fps with modern games. A 2080 Ti can barely do 4k 60 fps with most games from 2019, and since the next gen consoles are using much slower GPU's (variants of the 5700 XT) they'd probably only get ~40 fps with the same settings.

I actually did own an LG C9 for a brief period of time and tried out 1440p 120 hz g-sync gaming with my 2070 super. Although it was buttery smooth and my GPU and I was able to maintain 90-120 fps most of the time, the motion handling on the C9 was pretty bad imo. I actually prefer using 1440p 120hz on my X900F with motionflow more, even with the screen tearing (I'm not terribly senstivie to it, although for those that are I can see them prefering the C9).
Apr 19, 2015
222 posts
191 upvotes
I just bought the 49 inch version and I'm thrilled with it. It was a huge upgrade over my 2006 42" plasma. The silly thing is that the base is really wide, so getting it to sit in my narrow tv cabinet took work, but otherwise, it's GORGEOUS.
Nov 10, 2019
89 posts
39 upvotes
CANADA
If anyone looking into replacement for YouTube with no Ads, regularly updated / and a lot of options to choose, i would recommend https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/ , its fully compatible, even with "ok Google" and default TV's launcher. ( Simply just disable stock YouTube and install this from USB stick / cloud - you need to allow installations from unknown sources thought in Settings )
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6884 posts
470 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SilverSurfer wrote: It's a good TV but I would never buy a TV that doesn't support HDMI 2.1 this close to 2020. Especially since HDMI 2.1 allows 4K @ 120hz. HDMI 2.1 can even support up to 10K resolutions(which is irrelevant now) but shows you just how much of a bandwidth increase it actually is. Gaming in 4K @ 120hz will also become the standard in 2020 when the PS5 and Xbox Series X are released. If you really can't wait and have to buy one now, I would go for an LG C9 series OLED which does have HDMI 2.1 support.

I'll believe it when I see it but I believe PS5 and Xbox Series X will be 4K 60hz max for optimal balance. Pretty beefy rigs these days struggle to hold at 4K 60-120hz. Knowing console, they'd settle for 60 fps, heck even current gen is not 1080p60 fps.