Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Sony 65" A80J (2021) $1894.99 (in-store, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2022 8:55 pm
Tags:
Aug 13, 2022
40 posts
43 upvotes
XOMTOR wrote: Seems like a decent price; $100 cheaper than the LG C1 clearance price.

Heading to Costco soon to check out TVs. Whadda y'all think of these choices: this set for $1900, the 65" Samsung QN9 for $1700 or the LG C1 55" for $1400?
65” Samsung QN9DA was $ 1,600 at my local Costco West today.
All good choices and amazing prices, just depends on your use case what you watch.
Feb 28, 2006
12 posts
Which Costco west location had the 65” Samsung QN9DA for $1,600? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
8207 posts
6542 upvotes
shone1980 wrote: 2200$ in January awesome oled once calibrated properly. Still using shield since gtv is struggling with ram and can't run Kodi for ex.
Yeah, I could see how it may struggle with some specific things. Outside of the main steaming apps, I use Emby to watch my content. Generally 4k, sometimes Dolby Vision, and no issues 99% of the time, playing it all direct. I've had a couple episodes that didn't play and I could have had the server transcode it, but just watched on the Shield on my other TV instead.
Nov 21, 2009
473 posts
274 upvotes
Moncton
tietherope wrote:
How far do you sit? That could kill the 55" chances right away.
The den isn't used by anyone but me, so I can technically move my chair as close as I want but it's not a small space so the 65 would certainly "look" better in there.
shone1980 wrote: Well, not decent it's great price for this great oled. QN9 can't even come close to pic quality, contrast, blacks, etc. A80j or c1 is the way to go.
I just got back from Costco and they had the QN9 setup right beside the A80J and I gotta say, the Samsung is nothing to sneer at. Holy crap that thing is insanely bright and the colors, even at that brightness, are crazy good. In that type of bright environment, the A80J looked downright dingy in comparison. There was a bright sunset/beach scene in the store footage and the Samsung was just noticeably more impressive. Obviously, for a dark space, the OLED will shine, but then again, the Samsung has something like 700 dimming zones and they certainly appeared to be doing a good job keeping blacks in check.

My personal impression would be: for HDR gaming and movies, regular programming, home/vacation videos etc. the Samsung is going to impress, especially when you can't always control the lighting. In a light-controlled environment for movie watching, the OLED would be a better choice.

Mando1 wrote: 65” Samsung QN9DA was $ 1,600 at my local Costco West today.
All good choices and amazing prices, just depends on your use case what you watch.
At that price, I would hands-down grab the Samsung. Sadly, my store still has it priced at $1900.
Mar 3, 2018
682 posts
533 upvotes
XOMTOR wrote: The den isn't used by anyone but me, so I can technically move my chair as close as I want but it's not a small space so the 65 would certainly "look" better in there.

I just got back from Costco and they had the QN9 setup right beside the A80J and I gotta say, the Samsung is nothing to sneer at. Holy crap that thing is insanely bright and the colors, even at that brightness, are crazy good. In that type of bright environment, the A80J looked downright dingy in comparison. There was a bright sunset/beach scene in the store footage and the Samsung was just noticeably more impressive. Obviously, for a dark space, the OLED will shine, but then again, the Samsung has something like 700 dimming zones and they certainly appeared to be doing a good job keeping blacks in check.

My personal impression would be: for HDR gaming and movies, regular programming, home/vacation videos etc. the Samsung is going to impress, especially when you can't always control the lighting. In a light-controlled environment for movie watching, the OLED would be a better choice.

At that price, I would hands-down grab the Samsung. Sadly, my store still has it priced at $1900.
The downsides for the Samsung for gaming is that the local dimming is less effective as they reduce the amount of picture processing in order to reduce latency. The HDR tone mapping is also undefeatable, so you'll end up with a brighter than intended image (which to be fair is some people's cup of tea). You're also looking at the usual LED disadvantages of slower pixel response times.

Not a bad set for gaming especially in a bright room, but it's got some drawbacks.
Jul 23, 2018
814 posts
341 upvotes
TV experts. Can anyone recommend a good 65” TV for our family room? It will be our one and only TV. Budget is $1000 more or less.

Thank you!
Nov 21, 2009
473 posts
274 upvotes
Moncton
FeralWalrus wrote: The downsides for the Samsung for gaming is that the local dimming is less effective as they reduce the amount of picture processing in order to reduce latency. The HDR tone mapping is also undefeatable, so you'll end up with a brighter than intended image (which to be fair is some people's cup of tea). You're also looking at the usual LED disadvantages of slower pixel response times.

Not a bad set for gaming especially in a bright room, but it's got some drawbacks.
All true. Unfortunately, every TV has its drawbacks. The Sony has aggressive and un-defeatable ABL. At least with the LG, the ABL can be disabled.
Mar 3, 2018
682 posts
533 upvotes
XOMTOR wrote: All true. Unfortunately, every TV has its drawbacks. The Sony has aggressive and un-defeatable ABL. At least with the LG, the ABL can be disabled.
The logo detection in the Sony is also dumber than LG as well. It dims the whole screen not just the area around the static elements that can be annoying while gaming especially in a game like FIFA.

Also you can disable the ASBL on the LG, but ABL cannot (and even if you could you probably shouldn’t) be defeated on either set.
Last edited by FeralWalrus on Sep 30th, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
8207 posts
6542 upvotes
FeralWalrus wrote: The logo detection in the Sony is also dumber than LG as well. It dims the whole screen not just the area around the static elements that can be annoying while gaming especially in a game like FIFA.
Lol yeah, it's really bad in FIFA.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4503 posts
2297 upvotes
Ontario
Hi Hisense just died, couple months outside of warranty...

How's the Sony X85K in people's opinions? It is $1098 at Costco. Going in a bedroom, viewing angle will always be straight on. Streaming only, no gaming.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
8207 posts
6542 upvotes
Hans_Moleman wrote: Hi Hisense just died, couple months outside of warranty...

How's the Sony X85K in people's opinions? It is $1098 at Costco. Going in a bedroom, viewing angle will always be straight on. Streaming only, no gaming.
That set has no local dimming. Going in a bedroom generally means viewing it in the dark often. So that's going to be a big downside IMO. But if your previous set didn't have it and you were happy with it, then don't worry about it.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4503 posts
2297 upvotes
Ontario
tietherope wrote: That set has no local dimming. Going in a bedroom generally means viewing it in the dark often. So that's going to be a big downside IMO. But if your previous set didn't have it and you were happy with it, then don't worry about it.
Yeah it did, we had the 55H8G.

Ok, then what about X90K for $1298? Or any other recommendations $1000 range?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4338 posts
2150 upvotes
Hans_Moleman wrote: Hi Hisense just died, couple months outside of warranty...

I believe you are referring to the x80k at that price. I’ve been eyeing the x85k for my family room for awhile and would buy it at $1098.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4338 posts
2150 upvotes
Hans_Moleman wrote: No it's the X85K. Same price elsewhere.

https://www.costco.ca/sony-55%22-class- ... 84737.html
Ok, I thought you were referring to the 65” which is the one I was looking at.

I am waiting for mid October, Costco had some sort of online sale and the price for tvs was better than Black Friday a couple of years ago. Amazon is having a second prime day sale October 12-13 and Costco should be having a sale too.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4503 posts
2297 upvotes
Ontario
boonjaca wrote: Ok, I thought you were referring to the 65” which is the one I was looking at.

I am waiting for mid October, Costco had some sort of online sale and the price for tvs was better than Black Friday a couple of years ago. Amazon is having a second prime day sale October 12-13 and Costco should be having a sale too.
Good point, I'll wait it out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
8207 posts
6542 upvotes
Hans_Moleman wrote: Yeah it did, we had the 55H8G.

Ok, then what about X90K for $1298? Or any other recommendations $1000 range?
I'd pay the extra $200 for the X90K myself. When getting a new TV, you generally want an upgrade from what you had, not something similarly rated. You can see a comparison here between the 85k and 90k:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.10

My last tv purchase was back in March and I it was between the X90J, the A80J, and whatever the Samsung was at the time, a Q9 something. Not currently knowledgeable on the less expensive options unfortunately.
Dec 3, 2006
500 posts
295 upvotes
Craven
How would this compare to my Hisense 65" U6GR? I like the Hisense and it's ROKU, but it's not the best during the day in our bright living room and the off angle viewing isn't stellar. Don't get me wrong, it's a great TV... but I have until Oct. 23rd to return it. Would I notice that much of a difference with this, or are there other recommendations?
Nov 26, 2016
502 posts
953 upvotes
Is the A-Series higher or X-Series?