Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Sony 65" A80J (2021) $1894.99 (in-store, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2022 8:55 pm
Tags:
Mar 3, 2018
857 posts
692 upvotes
mysttz wrote: Is the A-Series higher or X-Series?
Sort of but there’s some overlap. The X9 models are all the high end LED LCDs. The A models are all self emissive so OLED or QD OLED. The X95K is mini LED and is priced above the A80K but for the J series I think the X95J was always priced a little under the A80J. Not trying to say either is better or worse than the other there’s use cases that make a mini LED preferable.

If money is no object and you want to go ham on an LED LCD there’s the Z series as well. Though for a lot of uses an A95K will be better than a Z series.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5511 upvotes
Imago wrote: How would this compare to my Hisense 65" U6GR? I like the Hisense and it's ROKU, but it's not the best during the day in our bright living room and the off angle viewing isn't stellar. Don't get me wrong, it's a great TV... but I have until Oct. 23rd to return it. Would I notice that much of a difference with this, or are there other recommendations?
OLED TVs are generally not recommended for bright rooms as they don't get bright enough to overpower the sunlight. With that said, the reflections and viewing angle will be much better than your current set. And then basically everything else is better as well.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
mysttz wrote: Is the A-Series higher or X-Series?
Higher since it's OLED and more expensive. But, in the A series there are two TVs (for 2021 Js that is) so there is the A90J which was higher than this.

On top of those two for 2022 is the A95K, the QD-OLED. It maxes out at 65" though and is nearly $5k CAD for that one.

Apart from the QD-OLED coming out, Sony other flagships have been the Z9-series LCDs--the latest of which is the Z9K, an 8K TV that's $8k MSRP for the 75".
Mar 3, 2018
857 posts
692 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Higher since it's OLED and more expensive. But, in the A series there are two TVs (for 2021 Js that is) so there is the A90J which was higher than this.

On top of those two for 2022 is the A95K, the QD-OLED. It maxes out at 65" though and is nearly $5k CAD for that one.

Apart from the QD-OLED coming out, Sony other flagships have been the Z9-series LCDs--the latest of which is the Z9K, an 8K TV that's $8k MSRP for the 75".
And even more confusingly there is an A90K in 2022 but that’s only available in 42” and 48”.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Imago wrote: How would this compare to my Hisense 65" U6GR? I like the Hisense and it's ROKU, but it's not the best during the day in our bright living room and the off angle viewing isn't stellar. Don't get me wrong, it's a great TV... but I have until Oct. 23rd to return it. Would I notice that much of a difference with this, or are there other recommendations?
tietherope wrote: OLED TVs are generally not recommended for bright rooms as they don't get bright enough to overpower the sunlight. With that said, the reflections and viewing angle will be much better than your current set. And then basically everything else is better as well.
The A80J is still brighter than the U6GR though. Not a huge amount but it is. It's "nearly 700 nits" v. "just about 600 nits" on the U6GR. However the A80J is better in pretty much every other dimension compared to the U6GR. The U6GR is a great "bang for buck" TV but it's not nearly in the same league as the A80J. This should be quite apparent in the price. The typical sale price for the 65U6GR is like $700 and might go even cheaper on clearance... The 65A80J is well over double that price even at these clearance prices. Heck even the "two people got the deal crazy deal" for the A80J was $1400...still 2x what a U6GR costs.

In terms of viewing angle OLED cannot be beat, the A80J will be so far ahead in that dimension compared to a VA LCD like in the U6GR, it's not even funny.

OLED is certainly not the end-all and be-all but compared to the U6GR, as good as that TV is for the money, it's still a chalk and cheese comparison--it doesn't even come close to the A80J.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5511 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: The A80J is still brighter than the U6GR though. Not a huge amount but it is. It's "nearly 700 nits" v. "just about 600 nits" on the U6GR. However the A80J is better in pretty much every other dimension compared to the U6GR. The U6GR is a great "bang for buck" TV but it's not nearly in the same league as the A80J. This should be quite apparent in the price. The typical sale price for the 65U6GR is like $700 and might go even cheaper on clearance... The 65A80J is well over double that price even at these clearance prices. Heck even the "two people got the deal crazy deal" for the A80J was $1400...still 2x what a U6GR costs.

In terms of viewing angle OLED cannot be beat, the A80J will be so far ahead in that dimension compared to a VA LCD like in the U6GR, it's not even funny.

OLED is certainly not the end-all and be-all but compared to the U6GR, as good as that TV is for the money, it's still a chalk and cheese comparison--it doesn't even come close to the A80J.
Here's the actual SDR and HDR brightness numbers and the U6GR is ahead on it all other than like a 2% HDR window. There's no doubt on which TV is better in all other factors though.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.14
May 30, 2020
116 posts
191 upvotes
I just got the LG C1 at clearance price, was eyeing the A80j s well. The C1 I got Pretty sure it was opened at some point or something. Had no front screen protector for that satisfying peel and has a small set of scratches on one corner. Pretty sure I can pick up A80j if I wanted to.

Any point in looking for store discount on the C1 instead? ANyone with any experience?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
tietherope wrote: Here's the actual SDR and HDR brightness numbers and the U6GR is ahead on it all other than like a 2% HDR window. There's no doubt on which TV is better in all other factors though.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.14
No it's not. First of all, I only ever look at the 10% window. Secondly, the 10% window shows:

A80J: 658 nits
U6GR: 589 nits

However Rtings has started giving some other useful tests, and in 2/3 of those, A80J wins:
Hallway Lights (~1950 cd/m²)
A80J: 558 cd/m²
U6GR: 517 cd/m²

Yellow Skyscraper (~700 cd/m²)
A80J: 344 cd/m²
U6GR: 288 cd/m²

Landscape Pool (~300 cd/m²)
A80J: 258 cd/m²
U6GR: 320 cd/m²

OLEDs getting dimmer on the "higher windows" is typical--a function of ABL, which is required so you don't wear them out.

In any event the U6GR is still nowhere near the A80J; one has to be fairly misguided to think their $700 LCD TV is better than a $2k+ OLED. I'm certainly no OLED fanboy (and personally I won't even buy OLED) but that's just the truth. The original poster that asked the question was also asking about viewing angle as a major concern--in this case VA can't even hold a candle to OLED--again that's just the truth. Personally I don't give a crap about viewing angle but if you want good angles and great picture, OLED is the way to go (IPS fixes angles but it sucks donkey balls for contrast). Again though the cost of OLED is much higher.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5511 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: No it's not. First of all, I only ever look at the 10% window. Secondly, the 10% window shows:

However Rtings has started giving some other useful tests, and in 2/3 of those, A80J wins:

OLEDs getting dimmer on the "higher windows" is typical--a function of ABL, which is required so you don't wear them out.

In any event the U6GR is still nowhere near the A80J; one has to be fairly misguided to think their $700 LCD TV is better than a $2k+ OLED. I'm certainly no OLED fanboy (and personally I won't even buy OLED) but that's just the truth. The original poster that asked the question was also asking about viewing angle as a major concern--in this case VA can't even hold a candle to OLED--again that's just the truth. Personally I don't give a crap about viewing angle but if you want good angles and great picture, OLED is the way to go (IPS fixes angles but it sucks donkey balls for contrast). Again though the cost of OLED is much higher.
You can't work off the assumption that everything someone is watching is HDR though. I would say in general, more content will be SDR for most people.

The rtings written sections for tv shows and sports (SDR content) speaks to this numerous times. A 10% window doesn't speak to sunlight battling brightness.

And I repeatedly said the OLED was better in every other way.
Last edited by tietherope on Oct 1st, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 3, 2018
857 posts
692 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: No it's not. First of all, I only ever look at the 10% window. Secondly, the 10% window shows:

I think the truth is somewhere in between here. The larger field windows are important if you're planning to do lots of bright room viewing and need the TV to have a greater capacity to overcome the glare through sheer light output. The added contrast also has diminishing returns the brighter the room gets, and it also makes the local dimming artifacts less prominent.

That said, peak brightness is one piece of a good image. What I find to be even more important is the TVs ability to direct that light to where it needs to be. My X900F has a peak brightness a class above the U6GR, but I do find my C1 OLED still tends to look better on a whole since none of the highlights needs to be compromised with local dimming. I find the difference between the two to be very dramatic in dim/dark room viewing.

If the argument is for bright room viewing the diminishing returns of going OLED should have you reconsider your options, I guess that's okay. Though there are OLED-priced LED options that well outperform a U6GR.
Jul 1, 2019
154 posts
65 upvotes
I was told Burlington has the display left and Mississauga locations are sold out.
Feb 15, 2018
116 posts
129 upvotes
Vancouver
picked one up this morning.

went to lougheed location sold out. But willingdon had some. I believe an employee also said downtown and richmond also had some in stock. But these will be the last in stock, since they're getting replaced.
Dec 7, 2006
385 posts
119 upvotes
Kanata
Wondering if any RFDrs can help. Do any of the tv's on the market (just got the sony 55" A80J for 1399 autoswitch between feeds?

I have a 4K hdmi auto switch installed (PS5 and Bell Fibe receiver in, one hdmi out into tv). If i turn on ps5 it switches to new input and when i shut off ps5 it switches back to the fibe, which was always on.

Problem is, setting for the INPUT on the tv don't match for ps5 and fibe. if i use enhanced hdmi setting the PS5 is amazing but when it goes back to Bell, it pauses and 'skips' for a second every now and then.

Trying not to have to manually change INPUT on tv from hdmi 1 to 2, daughter just likes to press on and off.

Thanks. BTW the 55 A80J is very nice!
Aug 5, 2011
145 posts
159 upvotes
HAMILTON
If you want colors to pop and watch in a bright room, don't get an OLED.

I've owned a 75X940E, 75X95J, 77A80J over the past few years, so I have some experience. Keep in mind that this is all subjective.

The OLED is the worst performer in the day in a bright room, by quite a bit. It looks dingy/dusky in comparison. The other two are a little behind the OLED in terms of contrast and clarity for dark room viewing.

It depends on what you want-- colors to pop during the day, or perfect accuracy at night and don't mind the colors being a little flatter.
May 30, 2020
116 posts
191 upvotes
Decisions decisions. I have both c1 and a80j at the same price. I do game but only like 20% max.
Jul 6, 2008
138 posts
141 upvotes
XOMTOR wrote: Luckily, this will be in a den so bright daylight won't be an issue (too busy to watch TV or game during the day anyway). Just got a Series X so gaming features suddenly became important, which should place the C1 at the top, but 55" is a bit of a downer. Price is nice though. The Samsung is amazingly bright so HDR will probably look fantastic on it. The Sony, I dunno, it's bigger but the lack of Dolby Vision, G-Sync, 1440p HRR and 2 less HDMI 2.1 ports are not ideal for almost $2200.
Valid points. But consider what ports you'll end up using on the TV and if Android TV is worth it to you. For me it would be, I would end up with an Nvidia shield otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5511 upvotes
loaldom wrote: Decisions decisions. I have both c1 and a80j at the same price. I do game but only like 20% max.
Buy the TV that is better for what you're doing the majority of the time IMO. So the a80j in this case.
Apr 23, 2015
439 posts
470 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
tietherope wrote: You can't work off the assumption that everything someone is watching is HDR though. I would say in general, more content will be SDR for most people.

The rtings written sections for tv shows and sports (SDR content) speaks to this numerous times. A 10% window doesn't speak to sunlight battling brightness.

And I repeatedly said the OLED was better in every other way.
Just bought a C2 to replace a Sony x900h, and brightness is mostly not an issue, as the gain in contrast and reflection handling more than make up for it. The x900h was unwatchable because it was like a mirror. The only content where I miss brightness is full screen snow scenes, like the Arctic shots in Planet Earth for example. It's perfectly watchable, but lacks punch. I'm guessing watching hockey would be the same.
May 30, 2007
401 posts
623 upvotes
Markham
I just bought this from Best Buy last week, would they price match?
Apr 23, 2015
439 posts
470 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
loaldom wrote: Decisions decisions. I have both c1 and a80j at the same price. I do game but only like 20% max.
The LG 100%. As a former owner of the x900h I can attest that Sony software and support is absolute trash and you'll regret it once a firmware update breaks a fundamental feature and it isn't fixed for more than 6 months, without a pip of acknowledgement. And gaming wise the LG stomps on the Sony's.