Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Sony 65" A80J (2021) $1894.99 (in-store, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2022 8:55 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
8194 posts
6526 upvotes
flowerdealer wrote: The LG 100%. As a former owner of the x900h I can attest that Sony software and support is absolute trash and you'll regret it once a firmware update breaks a fundamental feature and it isn't fixed for more than 6 months, without a pip of acknowledgement. And gaming wise the LG stomps on the Sony's.
Keep in mind the x900h was an especially terrible situation. Not downplaying it, I'm just saying it is mostly an outlier.
Apr 23, 2015
395 posts
450 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
tietherope wrote: Keep in mind the x900h was an especially terrible situation. Not downplaying it, I'm just saying it is mostly an outlier.
I don't believe that. It shows a manufacturer perfectly fine in lying about advertising and not willing to do anything to correct or rectify the situation, as other manufacturers with the same hardware did much more. But more than that, their software was indeed terrible:
- They pushed a firmware update that broke local dimming for around 5 months.
- A later software update broke motion in movies for around 5 months.
- The current software version causes constant crashes and reboots and has been out for 3 months.

These issues were widespread and not once did Sony acknowledge any issue, and their support persons are happy to lie to your face just to get you to go away. First they'll tell you that their isn't any issue and have you go through the support motions, then when that doesn't go anywhere they'll discover that a software fix will fix it in an un determinate future just to get you to go away. I've owned most major brands (except hisense and TCL), but my experience with Sony is to the point that I will never ever even consider buying a Sony TV in my lifetime.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
8194 posts
6526 upvotes
flowerdealer wrote: I don't believe that. It shows a manufacturer perfectly fine in lying about advertising and not willing to do anything to correct or rectify the situation, as other manufacturers with the same hardware did much more. But more than that, their software was indeed terrible:
- They pushed a firmware update that broke local dimming for around 5 months.
- A later software update broke motion in movies for around 5 months.
- The current software version causes constant crashes and reboots and has been out for 3 months.

These issues were widespread and not once did Sony acknowledge any issue, and their support persons are happy to lie to your face just to get you to go away. First they'll tell you that their isn't any issue and have you go through the support motions, then when that doesn't go anywhere they'll discover that a software fix will fix it in an un determinate future just to get you to go away. I've owned most major brands (except hisense and TCL), but my experience with Sony is to the point that I will never ever even consider buying a Sony TV in my lifetime.
I'm aware of all the issues with that TV. And you're right to have a soured taste towards Sony from it. All I'm saying is that the A80j has been out a year and a half. It has received the VRR update it was promised. There's no major issues like with your previous set that everyone is waiting for fixes on. So your warnings IMO are more suited for new to the market TVs as opposed to established products.
Aug 23, 2005
616 posts
439 upvotes
Ontario
loaldom wrote: Decisions decisions. I have both c1 and a80j at the same price. I do game but only like 20% max.
At what size? C1 in all sizes is glossy screen and A80j is semi gloss and only 77" and up is gloss. Depending on lighting conditions in your viewing environment it can have a bit of impact.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2011
1684 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
Picked this up on Saturday and hooked up yesterday.
Some of the best out of the box calibration I've seen on any TV I have owned. First thing to do is change Picture Mode to Custom as it has the best calibration base to work off then make sure light Sensor and Power saving is off to maximize brightness.
I will say that if you have a lot of daylight coming into your room, you may want to re-consider this and the C1 as the output may not be bright enough to combat glare.
May 30, 2020
80 posts
151 upvotes
A-Town wrote: At what size? C1 in all sizes is glossy screen and A80j is semi gloss and only 77" and up is gloss. Depending on lighting conditions in your viewing environment it can have a bit of impact.
Looking at the 65 inch. Does it affect that?
Jul 1, 2019
107 posts
37 upvotes
Sony operating system is nice. You can load a VPN onto the tv directly and get US channels.
Nov 26, 2018
237 posts
230 upvotes
Rural AB
Yep these units running Android TV is a huge bonus, I don't need to run my shield any more.

A few apps weren't available in the store but I was able to side load them and they work as they should.
Nov 26, 2018
237 posts
230 upvotes
Rural AB
Wah wah my new tv is dead, hopefully any of y'all don't have the same issue.

A white line appeared vertically on the screen, turned the power off, now it just turns on quickly showing the white line then turns itself off.

Same issue as someone posted on reddit a few months ago that I found while googling

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comment ... s_ago_now/

Guess I'll return and get a C1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)