• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2021 7:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 14, 2006
720 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Sony 85" X91J - $3,298 ($700 Off)

This will likely score me some downvotes since it's just a rebranded X900H.
However, X900H has been completely cleared out and it's unlikely that the RFD time machine will be up and running anytime soon.

I've been in the market for an 85" TV and this has hit many checkpoints for me. Also, highly rated on rtings.

X900H rtings review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900h

I've been manually tracking prices:
~July: $3999.99
~August: $3799.99
Now: $3298.00

If you can find 85" X900H in stock anywhere, you might be able to get it for ~$2999.
My X900H order has been pending since July June from Amazon.
X900H.jpg

Ended up cancelling for the X91J at this price.

I'm interested to hear some thoughts! If anyone has a recommendation for a better 85" TV at this price point, I'm all ears.
Last edited by SBGoose on Aug 27th, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thread Summary
Costco Online: $3,298 ($3726.24 After Taxes)
- $65.96 (Executive 2% cashback pre-tax)
Total: $3660.28
(White Glove Delivery included)

Costco In-store: $3288 ($3715.44 After Taxes)
- $65.76 (Executive 2% cashback pre-tax)
Total: $3648.68
(Pick-up Price)

Visions: $3198 (In-store negotiation)
Total: $3613.74
(Delivery & Installation included(?))

X900H rtings review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900h
45 replies
Sep 12, 2010
40 posts
73 upvotes
i remember back in december, x900h was $3298
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
24739 posts
199510 upvotes
GTA
I wish they did a centre mounted stand - more options if you are not mounting this.
Dec 11, 2009
985 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was aiming at finding a deal on a X950H until I started reading about the TCL 6-series. The 2020 version is beating out both the X900H and X950H in most important dimensions.
There is a new TCL 6-series coming now that should be event better (will have 4k 120hz). They are much cheaper than the Sony stuff and are delivering better quality.
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
MoreDealsPlease wrote: I was aiming at finding a deal on a X950H until I started reading about the TCL 6-series. The 2020 version is beating out both the X900H and X950H in most important dimensions.
There is a new TCL 6-series coming now that should be event better (will have 4k 120hz). They are much cheaper than the Sony stuff and are delivering better quality.
Did you try to find any info on tcl tech support?

A lot of chatter bout Hisense and how good their TVs and soundbars… well, I tried to deal with Hisense tech support for my new soundbar and, it is either non existent or not competent. The soundbar itself is not bad for $300 but, it’s buggy, incomplete and poorly supported by other manufacturers with common interfaces like universal remotes, arc implementation etc.

Do your research before you want to jump in on tcl. It’s not only about price and features.
Last edited by gena_mak on Aug 27th, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 7, 2012
364 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
I have an 85" x900h, also from Costco, and it's fantastic.
So if this is just a rehash + new FW it's probably pretty good.

The x900h was the same price in April of this year and then dropped to $2999 - getting the price match at Costco is very easy and their Delivery/Warranty options are also really good.

All that to say, if you want an 85" in this price range I'd jump on it and if it drops in price from Costco later you have 90 days for price match
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1168 posts
1683 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: Did you try to find any info on tcl tech support?

A lot of chatter bout Hisense and how good their TVs and soundbars… well, I tried to deal with Hisense tech support for my new soundbar and, it is either non existent or not competent. The soundbar itself is not bad for $300 but, it’s buggy, incomplete and poorly supported by other manufacturers with common interfaces like universal remotes, arc implementation etc.

Do your research before you want to jump in with tcl.
It’s not only about price and features.
Worst experience ever. Customer Support, Tech Support, et al.

This is coming from someone who has a 65R615-CA and 10 Pro 20 Pro 5G
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3144 posts
6413 upvotes
Kazushi wrote: Worst experience ever. Customer Support, Tech Support, et al.

This is coming from someone who has a 65R615-CA and 10 Pro 20 Pro 5G
+1 (I just realized you were bashing TCL customer support not Hisense lol)

I bought a Hisense Q7 a year ago, Only one HDMI port still works and tv is basically useless as a “Smart TV” called customer support, said they created a ticket but never did. Warranty ran out shortly after and when I called back I was told sorry, it was out of warranty.

Glad the TV was only $150 (Stocktrack FTW), otherwise I would have been pissed. I have two other cheap Hisense TVs which have been decent.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1168 posts
1683 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: +1 (I just realized you were bashing TCL customer support not Hisense lol)

I bought a Hisense Q7 a year ago, Only one HDMI port still works and tv is basically useless as a “Smart TV” called customer support, said they created a ticket but never did. Warranty ran out shortly after and when I called back I was told sorry, it was out of warranty.

Glad the TV was only $150 (Stocktrack FTW), otherwise I would have been pissed. I have two other cheap Hisense TVs which have been decent.
yeah Hisense (who made my Sharp branded panel) 2 generations ago was relatively unheard of. Luckily that display is still fine, so I never had to call their CS. The Seiki panel after that, not so much.

Another incident was my Sony XBRII RPTV (dating myself here), had alignment issues. Figure for $6500 they'd just come and "calibrate" it for me. But they sent me an entirely new TV w/ delivery and said keep the old one if I wanted to.

I hate to be that guy who says it, but these Asia OEMs really just sell en masse and don't provide any support which really sucks. In your case that's even doubly bad, because there's record of you calling in (or should be) PRIOR to warranty death.
Nov 26, 2015
145 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For those who bought TV from Costco before, I am wondering if they will call to schedule the delivery time?
Nov 21, 2016
25 posts
13 upvotes
I picked up an 85" X900H from Best Buy for $2,999.99 in June without realizing it was even a deal. Love the TV so far and no complaints. Make sure you have a friend with you to unpack and/or wall mount - they are over 100 lbs.
Dec 11, 2009
985 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Do your research before you want to jump in on tcl. It’s not only about price and features.
As a Home Theater enthusiast I couldn't care less about brand loyalty - I just buy whatever is the best at the time and to me it's all about price, features and quality. After warranty is done most brands will not help you for free. I've bought so many non-mainstream and also mainstream brand TVs that I know it's all more or less the same. If you Compare a Sony X950H with a TCL 6 Series from 2020 the different in price is large in favour of the TCL while it's actually superior in most significant ways. Having a better call-centre doesn't really make up for the difference.
Apr 23, 2015
392 posts
450 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Just to note this TV still doesn't have VRR, might never have it in a workable fashion, and also has the fake 4k 120hz mode that the x900h has (it does half vertical resolution). Good tv otherwise, but you have been warned. Also, Sony software support is atrocious generally, worst I've seen after owning Samsung, LG and Vizio.
Feb 28, 2011
711 posts
1703 upvotes
ottawa
MoreDealsPlease wrote: As a Home Theater enthusiast I couldn't care less about brand loyalty - I just buy whatever is the best at the time and to me it's all about price, features and quality. After warranty is done most brands will not help you for free. I've bought so many non-mainstream and also mainstream brand TVs that I know it's all more or less the same. If you Compare a Sony X950H with a TCL 6 Series from 2020 the different in price is large in favour of the TCL while it's actually superior in most significant ways. Having a better call-centre doesn't really make up for the difference.
Sometimes it’s helpful to read and I don’t think you did. I didn’t say tcl is bad, I said to check to see if they good after sales support. Also, I shared my experience with Hisense for two months old soundbar, not for after warranty equipment.
Dec 11, 2009
985 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gena_mak wrote: Sometimes it’s helpful to read and I don’t think you did. I didn’t say tcl is bad, I said to check to see if they good after sales support. Also, I shared my experience with Hisense for two months old soundbar, not for after warranty equipment.
I did read and understood your position but I rejected your premise and I can see you didn't like it. You have negativity bias as your 1 bad experience with Hisense is making you caution others with buying TCL (lol, it's not even the same brand).
This is a deals forum so I think you can expect people to look for brands that offer more value and put less value on things that are superfluous to most.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3911 posts
6254 upvotes
Langley, BC
And here I am thinking my Samcrap tu7000 65” was expensive at 900$

:)
Sep 7, 2012
364 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
babykings wrote: For those who bought TV from Costco before, I am wondering if they will call to schedule the delivery time?
You get an email with a Link to pick an available date within the next 30 days. Once you do that you get a call 1-2 days before to get a 3hr window.
The same Link that you used to schedule can be used on delivery day to see the current eta, what stop # you are, what stop # they are currently on etc.
Nov 9, 2013
631 posts
233 upvotes
Damn, I just bought a 75” X950 earlier this month because I couldn’t find an 85” at a price like this.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1220 posts
650 upvotes

If you get the extended warranty don't you deal with Costco Concierge Services instead of he manufacturer?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)