Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Sony Atmos+DTS X Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer HT-X9000F $399 only after $100 Off

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 6:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 6, 2020
49 posts
198 upvotes

[Costco] Sony Atmos+DTS X Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer HT-X9000F $399 only after $100 Off

I was at Surrey Costco and found this lucrative deal. May be i am wrong but i have never seen Dolby Atmos and DTS X sound bar in that price range with wireless subwoofer. Go easy on me guys if it not Hot Slightly Smiling Face
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
7 replies
Nov 10, 2003
811 posts
191 upvotes
Same price online, delivered:

Costco.ca link

Anyone use this on a non-Sony TV and can comment on the quality? What about the popping noise some reviewers have raised as an issue?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1119 posts
1543 upvotes
DC5R wrote: Same price online, delivered:

Costco.ca link

Anyone use this on a non-Sony TV and can comment on the quality? What about the popping noise some reviewers have raised as an issue?
I've used mine on a Samsung 4K tv to test. Worked great. Same e-arc control etc. Now I use it with a Sony tv and control is identical. The popping noise I am curious about what people mean, do they mean a subwoofer pop? Because that sometimes happens. I've had it happen with Samsung, LG, Sony soundbar and systems. I attribute it to the connection, app changes, even things like wifi cycles and 2.4ghz or 5ghz connections. Google sound pop soundbar or subwoofer and just see.

Beyond that, as in a previous thread, I have really liked the soundbar. Build quality is great. Sound quality is good even for just 2.1 virtual surround engine because it uses the latest Dolby Atmos and DTS codecs.

Negatives will probably only be one HDMI in. I paid maybe $499 or $599 because I cannot remember what the price was boxing day 2018.

Again, a real Atmos soundbar that is 7.1.4 or even 5.1.4 will give you much better sound as will a soundbar with bookshelf speakers for the rear. That is because they will have more speakers and upfiring speakers. But those also cost almost 3x or 4x as much. I would easily buy this over a Sonos beam which my friend has. His sound profile might be a little better at some things but when Atmos or DTS codecs are active, the subwoofer kicks in, it is a superior listening experience. Keep in mind we buy soundbars for space and cost saving reasons. They destroy tv speakers.
Aug 1, 2016
396 posts
719 upvotes
Soundbars are inherently limited to producing the 3 front channels of audio with a front soundstage that is too close together & a subwoofer via a poor under-powered wireless sub or if you are lucky a LFE out.

Now before you tell me what about a 7.1.4 DoLbY aTmOs SoUnDbAr, ok fine its got "7-9" speakers in front of you with tiny ass upfiring speakers & tiny little surrounds, do you really think that is going to be able to compete against even a properly placed 5.1.2 Atmos system?

Driver size. Sound reproduction is done through vibration, for each frequency you need a certain amount of air displacement. As such, larger drivers are required to produce low frequencies with high volume. Smaller drivers can create these frequencies, but only with enough excursion (movement of the driver). Excursion requires power, even if you artificially flatten the frequency response, the power handling of the driver and your amplification is a hard limit.

Because soundbars are compact, they can not fit mid-sized drivers such as 6.5, 5.25, or even 4 inch. Small drivers of 2-3 inches have trouble producing mid-bass, even in a ported aka bass reflex housing. You end up with a frequency response that might be good overall, but has a noticeable dip between the subwoofer and the soundbar itself.

The subwoofers provided are weak and under-powered. Even ones that may be "adequate" are substantially overpriced.

Finally, the electronic portion of the soundbar serves as a replacement for a receiver. While this seems initially convenient, it limits your future expansion, and support for new formats.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3526 posts
5307 upvotes
Langley, BC
Mrrfdxyz wrote: What's your tv. I'm planning to use it on my lg oled
The basic Samsung 65” 7000 series at Costco. Haven’t opened that one either. Almost done finishing our basement so once it’s all done, I get to set this stuff up and have a mancave (until the wife takes it).
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1628 posts
625 upvotes
DannyH17 wrote: Soundbars are inherently limited to producing the 3 front channels of audio with a front soundstage that is too close together & a subwoofer via a poor under-powered wireless sub or if you are lucky a LFE out.

Now before you tell me what about a 7.1.4 DoLbY aTmOs SoUnDbAr, ok fine its got "7-9" speakers in front of you with tiny ass upfiring speakers & tiny little surrounds, do you really think that is going to be able to compete against even a properly placed 5.1.2 Atmos system?

Driver size. Sound reproduction is done through vibration, for each frequency you need a certain amount of air displacement. As such, larger drivers are required to produce low frequencies with high volume. Smaller drivers can create these frequencies, but only with enough excursion (movement of the driver). Excursion requires power, even if you artificially flatten the frequency response, the power handling of the driver and your amplification is a hard limit.

Because soundbars are compact, they can not fit mid-sized drivers such as 6.5, 5.25, or even 4 inch. Small drivers of 2-3 inches have trouble producing mid-bass, even in a ported aka bass reflex housing. You end up with a frequency response that might be good overall, but has a noticeable dip between the subwoofer and the soundbar itself.

The subwoofers provided are weak and under-powered. Even ones that may be "adequate" are substantially overpriced.

Finally, the electronic portion of the soundbar serves as a replacement for a receiver. While this seems initially convenient, it limits your future expansion, and support for new formats.
Honestly, despite all these downfalls, I was still willing to go with a soundbar, and eventually had to give up since the sub would not stay connected. It would cut out randomly during a show or movie and this happened with an LG and a Samsung, so I eventually gave up and got a receiver.

If you run into this issue, it’s often attributed to wifi interference, I couldn’t solve it by changing channels etc. And I wasn’t going to give up having wifi, so I threw in the towel.