I bought this Sony sound bar 250 dollar at Costco
I went to Costco Centre Market store in Montreal
Only two left
22 replies
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1237 posts
2388 upvotes
A 2.1 soundbar advertised with Dolby Atmos Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy....come on now......just why
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Nov 28, 2013
36 posts
23 upvotes
I have been looking into a soundbar since I got my tv. I had decided to wait but this is really tempting. I think I'll go by Laval costco tomorrow and if they don't have it I'll check in Trois-Rivières since I have work there.

Does this come with the accessories required to wall mount it? And for this price I guess not much else compares on the market?
[OP]
Apr 21, 2020
149 posts
159 upvotes
Zadori wrote: I have been looking into a soundbar since I got my tv. I had decided to wait but this is really tempting. I think I'll go by Laval costco tomorrow and if they don't have it I'll check in Trois-Rivières since I have work there.

Does this come with the accessories required to wall mount it? And for this price I guess not much else compares on the market?
At this price it is incomparable
Apr 14, 2008
247 posts
105 upvotes
Does it have an option to add wireless surround speakers?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2014
5502 posts
2523 upvotes
aomous wrote: A 2.1 soundbar advertised with Dolby Atmos Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy....come on now......just why
Ummm why not? Sonos Arc is Dolby Atmos.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3491 posts
5232 upvotes
Langley, BC
I had this soundbar...

returned it.

If you like movies.... don't bother with it.
Nov 28, 2013
36 posts
23 upvotes
I looked at a bunch of reviews and I decided to not go forward with this one. It's a pretty good value for the price imo, most reviews compare it to other 500-600$ sound bars where this one falls short but for the price I saw it's a pretty good deal. I'm not sure why OP keeps getting downvotes, it's literally half price compared to everywhere else.

On the costco.com website the HWQ67CT has a pretty big promo right now, and I just ordered it to pick up at a border warehouse, 269$ USD for that full kit is pretty amazing. I'll give feedback once I install it :)
Nov 23, 2014
449 posts
394 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
My partner picked up this sound bar for 100$ on FB marketplace over a year ago. It was trash, and the previous owner couldnt figure out how to update the firmware. I spent over an hour trying to figure it out, once the firmware was updated it was a lot better. (most of the fixes were for eArc)

Seems like a good price for it, we're waiting to see what we want to replace it with though and move it to TV in the rec room. For now it is just good enough that we havent felt the need to look too much.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3500 posts
1566 upvotes
Vancouver
I agree with others that, for the price, I think it's worthwhile (I ended-up spending a bit more and getting something else). Just don't compare it to anything higher-up in the food chain (unless you're actually willing to spend that money) or to a dedicated surround system with rear satellites.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1129 posts
761 upvotes
Nanaimo
smay69 wrote: Does it have an option to add wireless surround speakers?
No, only the z9f model has that option and it is not worth it at retail price. I bought the set for $1400 and immediately returned it. The wireless rear speakers are cool, but the sound quality for music and lack of bass is inconceivable when spending that much money. Virtual atmos is also a joke. If you can even get a decent thin line style receiver and some small bookshelves or even satellite speakers, you’re going to get so much better sound than a sound bar.

That being said, for $250 this sound bar is going to be better than the others at this price range. Don’t expect too much from the wireless sub.
Apr 14, 2008
247 posts
105 upvotes
S0lidus wrote: No, only the z9f model has that option and it is not worth it at retail price. I bought the set for $1400 and immediately returned it. The wireless rear speakers are cool, but the sound quality for music and lack of bass is inconceivable when spending that much money. Virtual atmos is also a joke. If you can even get a decent thin line style receiver and some small bookshelves or even satellite speakers, you’re going to get so much better sound than a sound bar.

That being said, for $250 this sound bar is going to be better than the others at this price range. Don’t expect too much from the wireless sub.
Thanks - I figured this wouldn't be great - I have a older Sony HT660 soundbar I'm looking to replace, but I actually vowed not to get another Sony because once DD+ became a thing on Netflix, etc many quickly realized Sony has a bug in their DD+ decoding which caused this soundbar to chirp with a lot of content. Non user upgrade-able firmware meant I would have to send it back from NL to get it fixed which would cost more than the thing is worth. I have a nice Yamaha RX-V579 sitting in a closet collecting dust, so I figure I'll get a decent 5.1 speaker set and use that instead. The Sony soundbar was also ahead of its time claiming to support 4K in the specs, but without HDCP 2.2 that is 100% useless now too...
Nov 18, 2014
371 posts
441 upvotes
Calgary, AB
aomous wrote: ANY soundbar advertised with Dolby Atmos Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy....come on now......just why
fixed that for you
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2975 posts
2091 upvotes
Victoria
This "deal" comes up every month or so on RFD and the overwhelming consensus is that it's not a good product at this price, especially if you're expecting Atmos.
Apr 18, 2008
577 posts
1045 upvotes
BC
ar2020 wrote: Ummm why not? Sonos Arc is Dolby Atmos.
It's definitely not. Sonos doesn't really advertise their channels in their specs, but it's a 5.0.2
Mar 17, 2004
480 posts
47 upvotes
I picked-up the Sony 9zf on sale last Christmas, no problems with it so far. Like others have said, Atmos is a gimmick, bass is lacking and the sound quality of those tiny little 3" speakers in the bar are a joke. The bass and voice are def better than the TV speakers are but sound bars are not worth the money @ full pop. I dont have the sat speakers but I dont think they would add much more to the sound quality. I do like the clean lines and small foot print. Dont really miss having to house a receiver and a bunch of extra speakers and wiring either.

OP, @ $250 and from Costco, I would def try it out. If you don't like it, you can always return it without hassle. Just don't expect the magical experience that all those reviewers rave about.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2006
1460 posts
268 upvotes
Ottawa
I don’t like Sony.com replying to the happy reviews only.
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1237 posts
2388 upvotes
ar2020 wrote: Ummm why not? Sonos Arc is Dolby Atmos.
Because technically it's not a true Dolby Atmos system. Sure it may have Dolby Atmos virtualization which helps create a more atmospheric sound stage but isn't anywhere near what a true Dolby Atmos setup would be like.
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Apr 2, 2016
44 posts
16 upvotes
I had this soundbar, it's junk, I also had another sony soundbar that was also junk. Ultimately I ended up with a Samsung q70t (paired to my Sony 900h tv) I found the sound to be 10x Better than the sony units. I would have liked to keep the same brand but sony just couldn't keep up in the similar price range..