2566 posts
1848 upvotes

[Costco] Sony HT-X9000F - 2.1 Ch soundbar-instore only-$399

Is this a good deal? Looking for a 2.1 speaker for my tv

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/sound-bars/ht-x9000f
Images
  • IMG_20200711_150611.jpg
  • IMG_20200711_150414.jpg
Last edited by Mrrfdxyz on Jul 11th, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1187 posts
1064 upvotes
Not too sure if you're stuck on soundbars in general, if not then this and a decent receiver will do a better job 2.1 system
Aug 1, 2016
463 posts
835 upvotes
The KEF Q150s were on sale a couple weeks ago for about a $100 bucks less. Crazy speakers for the price and destroy soundbar over 2x the price.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17803 posts
10346 upvotes
Ottawa
Soundbar threads are almost as bad as NAS threads for their predictability.

I'll bet every single thread has somebody saying they'd rather put together bookshelf speaker system instead of a soundbar.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2018
2566 posts
1848 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote: Not too sure if you're stuck on soundbars in general, if not then this and a decent receiver will do a better job 2.1 system
Thanks. I just live in apartment so thinking of just getting soundbar for space. Is this a bad deal? I might consider that speaker tower.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17803 posts
10346 upvotes
Ottawa
Mrrfdxyz wrote: Thanks. I just live in apartment so thinking of just getting soundbar for space. Is this a bad deal? I might consider that speaker tower.
Keep in mind that speakers like that need a receiver too. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/receivers/20312
A cheap one would run about $300+ and you need a small cabinet as well.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1316 posts
1940 upvotes
I bought this for like $499ish maybe a year or two ago around Boxing day. I really like it. Sound is pretty great for the room I have it in. Subwoofer really can rattle the windoes when it gets going. Only real negative is just one HDMI in. But have it on the eARC HDMI in on my 4K tv with my X so I still get solid virtual Atmos.

Naturally any receiver or bookshelf system will be better than a soundbar. But space is often a limiting factor. I'd buy this same soundbar again if I could.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
1133 posts
1446 upvotes
I had a Sony soundbar before and problems appeared just over a year of lightly use. The sound were not stable as if some sound effect was cutting in and out. The wireless connection to the subwoofer, just one foot away, was also not stable. I would not recommend anyone of any soundbar from Sony.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3422 posts
3206 upvotes
Victoria
dvdvideo wrote: $100 off a $500 soundbar is not a hot deal.
A 20% discount isn’t considered a hot deal? OK then
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1316 posts
1940 upvotes
the brother wrote: reviews on Sony are really not that good, seems most complaints are re: sound cutting out..... hence the discount

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/soun ... ws-ratings
I mean it's 4 out of 5 stars average. Keep in mind people with negative experiences always going to review and rate things to a higher extent than those who have no issues.

I have this exact soundbar from 2018 when it was new. I either paid $499 or $599 at best buy. Can't exactly remember but have has zero issues so far. Was just for a bedroom with a small 43" 4K sony tv and an xbox one x attached. Has worked great. Only 2.1 channel sound but supports all the latest codecs ie. Atmos, DTS etc. Subwoofer is great. Haven't had any sound cutting out issues. I think if you had a large room, move up to a soundbar that gives you two bookshelf speakers and maybe more upfiring speakers built into the main soundbar. But then again, you're getting something that works great and fits perfectly with Sony tv's but also has great virtual surround. Like I said, no regrets in owning it so far. It is easily better than the Sonos Beam that my friend insisted on getting for almost the same price without any subwoofer, no Atmos support or even DTS codecs.

Then again, every review is valid. I think Rtinga reviewed thia soundbar before as did a few other sites. Read up before purchase.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1094 posts
1049 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote: I'm assuming you mean receiver since I've already post the speakers? Not a bad buy
The premium on this sound bar is due to the higher associated cost with including Dolby Atmos. Most of the examples in this thread are non Atmos receivers...compare apples to apples.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
4422 posts
4663 upvotes
Toronto
kronos288 wrote: The premium on this sound bar is due to the higher associated cost with including Dolby Atmos. Most of the examples in this thread are non Atmos receivers...compare apples to apples.
agree, there is a premium on dolby atmos and this one is an alright price for it. good for condos
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4938 posts
6143 upvotes
cooper83 wrote: A 20% discount isn’t considered a hot deal? OK then
And lets not forget the economy is in the toilet...Dont expect any "hot" deals until Black Friday and even then am not holding my breath.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1187 posts
1064 upvotes
kronos288 wrote: The premium on this sound bar is due to the higher associated cost with including Dolby Atmos. Most of the examples in this thread are non Atmos receivers...compare apples to apples.

Sorry but you're sadly mistaken. True Dolby Atmos requires a setup with height channels or projecting channels in the system. This sound bar is a front firing 2.1 setup. The Atmos here is simulated and is not true. Basically you have a 2.1 system that says it delivers up to 7.1.2. you want to compare apples to apples? Then you compare Atmos to Atmos and not Atmos to virtual Atmos.

Atmos on a 2.1 sound bar is equivalent to engine noise enhancements played through a car stereo to make you feel like you're driving a 500hp vehicle, when infact you're a 4 beater 168hp vehicle.

The benefit of soundbars are those looking to get decent sound in really tight spaces. Which is why I asked OP to see if he's flexible in his configuration.
Mar 6, 2014
299 posts
192 upvotes
I was looking at soundbar two weeks ago.
at that time other sony model had discount on costco.ca website.
this one is quite expensive comparing to those:
Sony HT-S350 was $200 , CCC showed amz lowest is 150
Sony HTS200F was $150 CCC showed amz lowest is 100

at that time I almost pulled the trigger to buy S350 at 200 from costco.ca but then later realized it has no DTS.

This HT-X9000F has DTS, but it's more expensive, and the discount is not that good.
and then I look at my current old sony sound bar from 10 years ago, it has wireless subwoofer and DTS already.
the only thing my old system missing is 4K HDMI input/output.
so it's quite hard to justify a new sound bar system costs $400 without much improvement and new features.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)