Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] In store $21.99 Merino wool men's long sleeve top. True North brand "Made in Canada"

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 3:59 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2013
286 posts
397 upvotes
BELLEVILLE

[Costco] In store $21.99 Merino wool men's long sleeve top. True North brand "Made in Canada"

Found at Costco Kingston - in store
Colors: Dark Green, Light Grey, Dark Blue and Black

Cannot find it online - Costco or elsewhere.

Regular price - warm deal but 100% Australian merino wool and made in Canada tops are usually over $40 .....

Previous threads:
costco-true-north-100-merino-wool-longs ... a-1395592/
costco-mens-100-merino-wool-long-sleeve ... a-1831665/
Images
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-11-28 at 6.15.05 PM.jpeg
Last edited by Ooooops on Nov 28th, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68 replies
Nov 9, 2014
207 posts
138 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I'd like to see Costco bring back the True North t-shirts.
Nov 23, 2004
995 posts
553 upvotes
Edmonton
I bought two of them and use them as base layer when it's not too cold out there. (I work outside). They're quite nice. I would love to see a $x.97 clearance price and I would stock up hard.
Previous wins:
-Fujifilm Finepix Z10FD 7.2mp (Green) 210$
-2x Xbox 360 (Oct 29 & Nov 1) 300$
-2x EA SPORTS
Dec 14, 2017
353 posts
353 upvotes
These things are fricken awesome and criminally underpriced for it being made in canada
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1664 posts
376 upvotes
I bought one a few weeks ago and I like it. Nice for everyday wear in the winter.

If you compare this to Icebreaker etc. brand-name merino baselayers, the quality of stitching etc is not the same but it's 80% as good for 30% of the price. A+ from me.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1103 posts
227 upvotes
Nice shirts but I have gotten a lot of little holes in them. Very frustrating.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
5558 posts
3493 upvotes
M-Arkham
wilbrod wrote: I bought two of them and use them as base layer when it's not too cold out there. (I work outside). They're quite nice. I would love to see a $x.97 clearance price and I would stock up hard.
They did put last year stock at .97 price during summer, I grabbed 3 when they did.
1x Zoomer $45 for 7GB ,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
1x Fido $45 for 4Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide n 1000 int min + LG velvet 5G
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5909 posts
5681 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Rishi wrote: I bought one a few weeks ago and I like it. Nice for everyday wear in the winter.

If you compare this to Icebreaker etc. brand-name merino baselayers, the quality of stitching etc is not the same but it's 80% as good for 30% of the price. A+ from me.
Do you have to wear a t-shirt underneath it or can it worn without ba t-shirt?
Apr 30, 2020
107 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver
Rishi wrote: I bought one a few weeks ago and I like it. Nice for everyday wear in the winter.

i have 5 icebreaker tees and 2 started getting holes in them. no longer spending $50-60 (on sale) on icebreaker.
May 3, 2009
2 posts
9 upvotes
TransporterSD wrote: Do you have to wear a t-shirt underneath it or can it worn without ba t-shirt?
They can be worn as a base layer - not itchy at all.

This is warm - although the shirts themselves are an incredible deal, Costco sells them every year for the same price.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11687 posts
6603 upvotes
Markham
How did this compare to Uniqlo heattech undershirts shirts (regular, extra warm and extra extra warm)?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2682 posts
671 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: How did this compare to Uniqlo heattech undershirts shirts (regular, extra warm and extra extra warm)?
This is pure natural material vs fake plastic
Jun 18, 2006
128 posts
87 upvotes
Burnaby
gr8dlr wrote: How did this compare to Uniqlo heattech undershirts shirts (regular, extra warm and extra extra warm)?
100% Merino much warmer and lighter. I have both.
May 7, 2017
48 posts
42 upvotes
To add upon the others, I also noticed that merino wool also feels less... sticky and more breathable than the heattech when sweaty.
Jan 8, 2020
163 posts
58 upvotes
I bought this and Icebreaker 200 merino this season and I must say this Costco brand is a go for the money. It is not a good fit like Icebreaker as it fits a little large but for the 1/4 cost of the Icebreaker that is definitely recommended.
Dec 20, 2018
249 posts
415 upvotes
Wool garments like this can develop holes relatively easier than a synthetic base layer. Some people may prefer wool to polyester like some people prefer sugar to aspartame. A note that may or may not apply here is a decade or so ago there was reporting that the wool in Australia was harvested cruelly versus how it was done in New Zealand. I think it's called muesling. Not sure if it has changed. Some may look at this being a benefit of synthetics as animals are not used.
Mar 5, 2020
19 posts
39 upvotes
Do these sink to two sizes smaller after a couple of cycles in the washing machine?
Jun 15, 2008
60 posts
42 upvotes
I have at least 12 of these from Costco under the Cloudveil name. They look basically the same as this brand, made in Canada. Other than 2 that were thrown in the dryer by accident and shrunk quite a bit, I treat them with kid gloves. They are washed as a group in cold water in a front loader on the gentle cycle and hung to dry. Every single one of them has multiple holes over the past 2 years of casual use. They are now only used as base layer/undershirts because there are so many holes in them. I won't be buying any more. Switching back to 100% cotton long sleeve Tees.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3145 posts
2021 upvotes
Langley

I would say it's about 50% as good compared to icebreaker. It's not necessarily the stitching, it's the feel. The weave of the merino isn't as tight, light, and airy as icebreaker. It definitely doesn't breathe as well and it feels heavier because it doesn't breathe as well.

They're okay if it's your first merino base layer, but as someone who has and wears icebreaker, I wouldn't wear it for performance, it's more of a beater merino if you're going to get messy outdoors. That's just me though, I'm sure it's good enough for a lot of people.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1664 posts
376 upvotes
jellytime wrote: I would say it's about 50% as good compared to icebreaker. It's not necessarily the stitching, it's the feel. The weave of the merino isn't as tight, light, and airy as icebreaker. It definitely doesn't breathe as well and it feels heavier because it doesn't breathe as well.

They're okay if it's your first merino base layer, but as someone who has and wears icebreaker, I wouldn't wear it for performance, it's more of a beater merino if you're going to get messy outdoors. That's just me though, I'm sure it's good enough for a lot of people.
In short, if you are starting a thru-hike and are going to wear the shirt for 100 days straight you should probably buy Icebreaker / SmartWool / etc but if you are 99% of people on RFD and are just going to wear it to Costco to hunt for deals, the $22 True North version is perfectly fine.

I like mine for the same reason I like Costco merino blend socks compared to Icebreaker: they're not as good, but they both get shredded by hard use in the same amount of time and I don't feel as bad tossing $15/6 pack Costco socks as I do a $25/1 pair Icebreaker one.

I will still buy the Icebreaker item but I will get 1-2x for when I actually need the performance and 5x of the Costco version for everyday use. This basically applies to all Costco 'outdoor gear'. Costco Eddie Bauer down jacket does not compare to a $400 Arcteryx Cerium. But it's $50 and you won't cringe when your muddy dog jumps on you while wearing it.

Both items (Costco and Icebreaker/Arcteryx/Patagonia) are good value for their intended purpose.