Hot Deals

[Costco] Sunshine City smoked econo BACON (5kg) - $19.99 (Moncton)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2021 8:13 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2019
9 posts
30 upvotes

[Costco] Sunshine City smoked econo BACON (5kg) - $19.99 (Moncton)

(1st ever post)

This is at the Costco in Moncton, NB
5 Kg box of "econo" bacon
Regular price: $24.99 - $5.00 discount = $19.99
so it works out to about $1.82/lb... I haven't tried the bacon yet, but it looks and smells good.
Images
  • 111.jpg
  • 222.jpg
Thread Summary
Appears to be a stocking error:
I think someone mixed up the shipment. The boxes say Leadbetters, which is also at the Costco Business Centre but twice the price as Sunshine. I think you got a screaming deal based on that.
This doesn't look like the Sunshine bacon pictured on the costco business site - https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/sun ... 94547.html
It appears to be this one https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/lea ... 14802.html

Also, none of the item # in the OP's picture in GTA other than the business centre
26 replies
Feb 19, 2010
81 posts
29 upvotes
I bought this when it was at the business centre. Tastes good to me and I cant complain for the price.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2009
1101 posts
4209 upvotes
Van Isle
Any bacon post good or bad deal and good or bad quality is an auto upthumb from this glutton of smoked nitrite-filled pork belly.
Militant Atheist....There's no goddamn god goddamn it
Jan 20, 2019
302 posts
352 upvotes
Anyone seen this Econo bacon out west? In Calgary?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2005
4747 posts
24899 upvotes
Montreal
Noticed this also at St-Hubert business center but passed because the econo threw me off.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6088 posts
2011 upvotes
Montreal
How easy is it to separate in to smaller portions? Could I easily separate it in to "blocks" of 8-10 strips? Or is it one big frozen chunk?
[OP]
Dec 19, 2019
9 posts
30 upvotes
porksoda wrote: why is it "econo"?
Are you able to tell or does it say what part of belly is it from? looks pretty decent meat to fat ratio.

It looks like its lightly smoked? how is it cooked?
A friend told me that typically "econo" is what restaurants use for non-plate bacon (so bacon used for sandwiches/burgers etc) but said this looks better than what he expected to see.
Unsure about the part of belly it's from. It has a really good smokey scent to it, but it is still frozen; I will have to wait until tomorrow when I cook some.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2019
9 posts
30 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: How easy is it to separate in to smaller portions? Could I easily separate it in to "blocks" of 8-10 strips? Or is it one big frozen chunk?
Yep fairly easy; I took a chunk of about 8 off and put it in a baggie to thaw out for tomorrow
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6713 posts
2511 upvotes
GTA
wolfric99 wrote: A friend told me that typically "econo" is what restaurants use for non-plate bacon (so bacon used for sandwiches/burgers etc) but said this looks better than what he expected to see.
Unsure about the part of belly it's from. It has a really good smokey scent to it, but it is still frozen; I will have to wait until tomorrow when I cook some.
thanks! I will grab it then.

I usually grab greenfield, i do not prefer the regular bacon from kirkland as its SUPER salty. Post back your comparison to other brands of bacon, hopefully not super salty.
May 17, 2011
569 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote: is this in ontario?
I called my Costco and they said that here, only the Scarborough (and I'm guessing St. Catherines) business centre carries this.
psyko514 wrote: How easy is it to separate in to smaller portions? Could I easily separate it in to "blocks" of 8-10 strips? Or is it one big frozen chunk?
We cook 2 pounds of bacon at a time and freeze the cooked bacon. Works great. I'm going to buy this when next I hit the business centre.
May 17, 2011
569 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
wolfric99 wrote: (1st ever post)

This is at the Costco in Moncton, NB
5 Kg box of "econo" bacon
Regular price: $24.99 - $5.00 discount = $19.99
so it works out to about $1.82/lb... I haven't tried the bacon yet, but it looks and smells good.
I think someone mixed up the shipment. The boxes say Leadbetters, which is also at the Costco Business Centre but twice the price as Sunshine. I think you got a screaming deal based on that.
This doesn't look like the Sunshine bacon pictured on the costco business site - https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/sun ... 94547.html
It appears to be this one https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/lea ... 14802.html
Oct 8, 2020
560 posts
437 upvotes
Great for bacon bits
Sadly, none in Mississauga

Available at the Scarborough Business Centre but not on sale.
- - - > Life is a waste of time.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2019
9 posts
30 upvotes
jrshopper wrote: I think someone mixed up the shipment. The boxes say Leadbetters, which is also at the Costco Business Centre but twice the price as Sunshine. I think you got a screaming deal based on that.
I think you're exactly right on this! It is definitely the 2nd one you have listed there. "Leadbetters"
May 17, 2011
569 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
wolfric99 wrote: I think you're exactly right on this! It is definitely the 2nd one you have listed there. "Leadbetters"
I'd be going back and buying a few more! Great deal!!!!
Oct 2, 2018
531 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
We go through a lot of bacon here per week and thought to buy the big box Sunshine bacon at the Costco business centre a few times, never have pulled the trigger. Was worried about having to thaw it in order to split it into portions, and ultimately what the quality was like.

Anyone here who has bought who can comment on having to thaw for splitting into smaller portions and quality over the regular Kirkland bacon?
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.