Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Tandem Bicycle available in Costco $580

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2021 12:23 pm
Nov 23, 2017
41 posts
50 upvotes
oh wow the amount of people with martial problem on the thread is quite something.
Nov 27, 2008
245 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Rode one years ago and it was fun. 2 ppl can really go flying down the road. Add an electric kit and it'll be easier to move along.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2029 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Finally a bike that will support me without breaking....

I mean me and my "spouse"
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
Webhead wrote: OK.
Must be a Western Canada thing.

Not seen here in Toronto Area.
They're all over Gatineau park too. Maybe not 20-30 and hour but I'll see a handful if I'm out on the major cycling loops.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Sep 29, 2014
454 posts
721 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Would this be suitable for a first date on Grindr?
Dec 25, 2007
768 posts
782 upvotes
Vancouver

They rent for cheap at all the bike shops around the seawall. Mostly a tourist trap I think. Oddly enough, I too went around the seawall on an early date with my girlfriend. I am a pretty avid cyclist and I think I was putting down 200 watts or so the whole time. At one point, my girlfriend's feet werent even on the pedals.

Be warned. If you buy this and ride in the front, you are doing all the work.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
JonathanSun wrote: It is steel frame, and shi**y components, so yeah, your wife is probably going to leave you after 1 ride up hill.
Hi-tensile steel* is the (heavy) low end material
Chromoly steel is actually good stuff
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2019
1154 posts
2385 upvotes
Edmonton
bnfenix wrote: Would this be suitable for a first date on Grindr?
Only if you are able to install some plexiglass between the two seats.
Otherwise you are better off with this model.
Nov 16, 2015
837 posts
1906 upvotes
Toronto, ON

On one of my rides through Tommy Thompson park I saw a whole bunch. I think they were all part of the same club
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
You will need an honest partner who believes in dividing the work equally.

Source: When my spouse decided it was a good idea to sit behind and just relax with me furiously doing the paddling in the front.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Apr 25, 2014
85 posts
111 upvotes
Wakanda
Is the seats six feet apart so I can bike while social distancing?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
So moral of the story, we need tandem ebikes lol
Jul 31, 2008
500 posts
318 upvotes
Markham
I think this is a lot of money for what is largely a recreational bike that is hard to transport anywhere.

The top tube up front looks really short, with not a lot of adjustment range. I also expect picking up speed on descents with that beast and what appear to be cheap cantilever brakes could get a bit tricky,.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Imagine going out biking on a nice sunny day and being stuck on one bike lol. I'd hate to lose the freedom.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13239 posts
12070 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote: So moral of the story, we need tandem ebikes lol
I'm imagining a Jetson Bolt tandem, you'll practically be on top of one another lol
Nov 29, 2003
13 posts
10 upvotes
I have one of these that I bought second hand in Vancouver for ~150$ 10 years ago. At the time Walmart in the states was selling them for 200US. They were originally branded "Kent" and there are lots of reviews.
We got a tonne of use out of it, and I boxed it and sent it to Ottawa by Greyhound when we moved. Rode it back to Hull solo with 4 dining room chairs in the stoker position, two *full* feta-tub panniers and my ancient stumpjumper trailered behind. We've been everywhere on it, including some pretty sketchy MTB trails uphill in Gatineau park.

IT IS A TRUCK. It's also very short for a tandem, while being every bit as heavy as it looks. The steering geometry is such that it's pretty nimble, but you have to actively drive it. Chunky tires soak up almost everything and it cam stock with seats that were twice as wide as long.

The thing with tandems is that even though you have close to double the weight (including bike) you have twice the power and the same wind resistance. With two strong bikers this thing is borderline deadly. My wife and I do fine - it's an efficient cruiser, and the gearing is insanely low (by 10 year old standards). Coming down from the lookout at Gatineau park is basically unsafe because the stock brakes are and accident waiting to happen. It's great for flat and separated paths, but dodgy negotiating traffic. A modern tandem needs modern brakes. In the heyday of racing tandems they were usually fitted with a drum brake (not disk) that you could drag as a third brake on hills. The rim brakes are both not strong enough and the rims heat up enough to explode you tires. Crashing at speed (these things decent stupid stupid fast) wipes out 400 lbs of combined metal and meat.

At 200$ there was no way to lose money. I could have flipped it by walking out on the street and shouting "anybody want a tandem". At 600$... I guess that's probably still true. I've always intended to replace it, and to get something that isn't a POS is going to be 3-5K.

Jokes aside, tandems are great for couples. You can carry a normal conversation, the stoker is an extra set of eyes, and nobody gets dropped at intersections etc. I used to pick up my wife at work! It's a pretty effortless ride even on this beast. Add an electric hub motor for even more fun.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRD wrote: What's the weight limit? Asking for a friend.
Anyone? Usually tandems use 40+ spokes with doble wall wheels. This one only have 36 spokes (counting at the picture) and lightweight wheels. So will be important to know the combine weight capacity.
Jan 12, 2015
149 posts
173 upvotes
Dundas, ON
Shadow Rider wrote: How is this better than two bikes?
As opposed to your house, I'm pretty sure she'll let you keep this bike in divorce.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)