Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

TCL 2020 5 Series 4K HDR Roku Smart TV 65S533CA $719.99 ($120 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2020 10:57 am
Tags:
Dec 24, 2006
897 posts
254 upvotes
The TCL 6-series is older and worse than the 5-series?
Jun 22, 2015
348 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Its now $709 in store... Jeez

Guess Im heading back.
Images
  • Screenshot_20201201-181009.png
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2748 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
Received my tv today. Can someone reference the ideal setting used for this tv and as well info for testing to make sure the panel is good?

Thanks in advance!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
asdisme wrote: Received my tv today. Can someone reference the ideal setting used for this tv and as well info for testing to make sure the panel is good?
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/5 ... 0/settings

There is also a settings thread on Reddit about calibration for 5 series 2020. As for testing the panel you could use the DSE hockey test vid on youtube, I wouldn't. Its better to just set up your new tv and see if you like it watching movies, watching sports, gaming....normal use.
The test vid will reveal results you wouldn't notice in everyday use.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
4284 posts
2284 upvotes
BC
asdisme wrote: Received my tv today. Can someone reference the ideal setting used for this tv and as well info for testing to make sure the panel is good?

Thanks in advance!
Definitely do the DSE test.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2748 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else feel the controller for this TV looks/feels like a child's toy? Lol

Setting this up right now!!

Edit: TV making some weird popping sounds here and there. Anyone experience the same thing?
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12875 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
Zamboni wrote: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/5 ... 0/settings

There is also a settings thread on Reddit about calibration for 5 series 2020. As for testing the panel you could use the DSE hockey test vid on youtube, I wouldn't. Its better to just set up your new tv and see if you like it watching movies, watching sports, gaming....normal use.
The test vid will reveal results you wouldn't notice in everyday use.
do you have to download like a program or something to run from usb to the tv?
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
1289 posts
463 upvotes
Calgary
Enjoying the tv so far, will be taking the 55 TCL (still boxed) back to Costco from the earlier sale.

Thanks for all the tips!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Just got my 65 inch TCL 5 series today.. breathtaking quality.

No pixel issues, no dark spots, no cracks or blemishes. Even the sound from the tv itself is pretty damned good! I had an LG surround sound system that was connected to my 55 inch LG 3D tv 2011 model that this TCL replaced, and honestly the tv sound isn't half bad at all.

Picture looks great, brightness is fantastic. I know a lot of you guys want the 6 series because it's brighter... Put it this way, my parents wanted to lower the brightness in this 5 series... So there's that lol. They love the tv.

Get it even at regular price if you can guys, it's a steal (I got it at the $720 but I would totally pay the $840 regular price if I knew this existed before the sale)
Apr 28, 2013
344 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
Had mine for a few days now. So far pretty pleased, looks better than a older LG 1080p plasma. It's not mind blowing, but certainly looks good enough (rich, vibrant, bright).

I did the hockey test video above, I did notice some faint yellow bands along the perimeter. Not sure whether this is indicative of a 'bad' panel, I'm assuming they are all going to be like this?

In any case, you would literally never notice it under normal usage so doesn't really seem like a problem to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Anyone notice a burning plastic/electronic smell with this tv? I opened my front door and could smell it, tv was on. First turned it on yesterday. Does this smell go away?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3937 posts
139 upvotes
junglemage666 wrote: Anyone notice a burning plastic/electronic smell with this tv? I opened my front door and could smell it, tv was on. First turned it on yesterday. Does this smell go away?
No, doesn't seem normal.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Riflem@n wrote: No, doesn't seem normal.
It has slowly gone away, I read that it's normal for some new tvs. If it doesn't go away completely by Monday, I'll return it. Shame though, tv looks great (cept I did the DSE test and saw some dark around the edges of the screen all around)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1793 posts
909 upvotes
YYC
DeadHead wrote: Its now $709 in store... Jeez

Guess Im heading back.
is it still this price in store?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2748 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone using a streaming box with this tv? When I'm running YouTube on the Android box and is forwarding/rewinding the clip, it makes a loud crack noise when I resume the video.

Weird..
Mar 16, 2006
343 posts
344 upvotes
My series 6 2018 had a smell for a week. It’s gone now.
And with the update to firmware 9.4 it works reliably with Airplay and no longer has the soap opera effect.

junglemage666 wrote: Anyone notice a burning plastic/electronic smell with this tv? I opened my front door and could smell it, tv was on. First turned it on yesterday. Does this smell go away?
Last edited by amac on Dec 23rd, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 16, 2006
343 posts
344 upvotes
Since Christmas has doubtless resulted in many tv purchases, I’m adding a link from a previous thread I posted for TV antenna users. Roku (at least for my TCL tv) has a secret real-time Channel signal strength meter. This can help you align your TV antenna (mostly for outdoors but I suppose good for indoors too).

TV Channel signal strength meter...
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
amac wrote: My series 6 2018 had a smell for a week. It’s gone now.
And with the update to firmware 9.4 it works reliably with Airplay and no longer has the soap opera effect.
Hey, thnx ya it's been since December 8, smell actually got worse, they just replaced it today. The new one has no smell at all, but slightly worse yellow dirty screen effect around the frame. Don't really notice unless it's a certain background color, will deal with it for now, bless the 90 day return period.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
junglemage666 wrote: Hey, thnx ya it's been since December 8, smell actually got worse, they just replaced it today. The new one has no smell at all, but slightly worse yellow dirty screen effect around the frame. Don't really notice unless it's a certain background color, will deal with it for now, bless the 90 day return period.
Costco sent someone to pickup and deliver a new one? My brother bought one and had a smell as well that wouldn't go away but it wasn't that bad as in your case that got worst.
He's still waiting for someone to pickup . What was your time line ?
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)