Tags:
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13513 posts
3781 upvotes
Montreal
crockpot wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 9:08 pm
Why buy TCL when you can buy Samsung - a Korean (God-tier) brand - for nearly the same price.
I used to think the same thing until I turned on my nearly-new Samsung TV only to find their proprietary Smart TV had deleted a pile of apps, including CBC All Access and in order to use my streaming services, I had to spend $50 on a Roku dongle and lose an HDMI slot.

Amazingly, the cheap Hisense and TCL TVs, with non-proprietary Roku Smart TV handle it no problem and have a ton of apps.

Trust me on this, DO NOT buy a Smart TV with a proprietary interface - stick with branded Roku, Fire TV, etc. models, as companies like Samsung and Sony didn't want to pay for a reputable Smart TV service like Roku or Fire TV, but they also do not have the manpower to actually develop and support their own Smart TV software, so if they find a problem, they just delete the apps rather than fix them. Then next week the cheapasses find more problems and just delete more apps. Then soon all you have is Netflix and Prime TV... at least until those start giving them trouble too.

And as the lady on Samsung support told me, "if you lose an app, it's not coming back, ever." :facepalm:

Idiots.
FourDollarama Shut Down My RFD Customer Experience Thread!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
2970 posts
223 upvotes
I was about to pull the trigger on vizio p65 this weekend, but now will have to look into TCL.
====================================
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1468 posts
92 upvotes
Still surpeised no one commented on the quality of this series 4 yet
Feb 15, 2009
896 posts
178 upvotes
Winnipeg
crockpot wrote:
Why buy TCL when you can buy Samsung - a Korean (God-tier) brand - for nearly the same price.
Samsung isn’t a good TV buy these days. There are other TVs with better picture quality and/or Smarts.
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 9:18 pm
I used to think the same thing until I turned on my nearly-new Samsung TV only to find their proprietary Smart TV had deleted a pile of apps, including CBC All Access and in order to use my streaming services, I had to spend $50 on a Roku dongle and lose an HDMI slot.

Amazingly, the cheap Hisense and TCL TVs, with non-proprietary Roku Smart TV handle it no problem and have a ton of apps.

Trust me on this, DO NOT buy a Smart TV with a proprietary interface - stick with branded Roku, Fire TV, etc. models, as companies like Samsung and Sony didn't want to pay for a reputable Smart TV service like Roku or Fire TV, but they also do not have the manpower to actually develop and support their own Smart TV software, so if they find a problem, they just delete the apps rather than fix them. Then next week the cheapasses find more problems and just delete more apps. Then soon all you have is Netflix and Prime TV... at least until those start giving them trouble too.

And as the lady on Samsung support told me, "if you lose an app, it's not coming back, ever." :facepalm:

Idiots.
I wouldn’t put Sony in the same category as Samsung. Sony has AndroidTV which I think is the best SmartTV OS.
Mar 9, 2011
483 posts
646 upvotes
55inch TCL 4 series is available too at Costco for $459.99. All TVs come with a two-year warranty, and you can buy three additional years for $29.99 as long as the TV price is $500 or lower.
Images
  • AC4EA644-EA1E-48C6-82AE-375924CD0773.jpeg
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1072 posts
606 upvotes
Orleans, ON
crockpot wrote:
Brand is often meaningless. The best TCL is far better than the worst Samsung. The TCL R617 for example, will blow away anything Samsung makes in the same size and price range. The "God-tier" brands are often only great at higher price points.

Homework:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ ... tra-hd-uhd
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1468 posts
92 upvotes
What is the model number on these? Reading review and without knowing the specific model it is hard to tell if I m comparing Apple to oranges
Mar 3, 2019
5 posts
5 upvotes
jetertmac wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 12:25 am
55inch TCL 4 series is available too at Costco for $459.99. All TVs come with a two-year warranty, and you can buy three additional years for $29.99 as long as the TV price is $500 or lower.
What Costco did you see this at?

Also anyone know the difference between the S421 (Walmart), S423 (Costco) and S425 (Amazon)?

I know the difference between the 6 series is the remote... S615 (IR) vs S617 (RF)
Jul 28, 2010
564 posts
217 upvotes
ludhi wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 9:24 pm
I was about to pull the trigger on vizio p65 this weekend, but now will have to look into TCL.
Vizio P is still going to be a better TV. Are you hoping for the TCL 6 to be much cheaper than it? That's possible but it won't be as good. It should be better than Vizio M though.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6442 posts
1227 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 6:21 am
What operating system is TCL using for their Smart TV Platform?
Roku
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30113 posts
4801 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Gutty96 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 6:25 am
Roku
Can you stream from a NAS with Roku?

Sorry, I have only used WebOS (LG) and Android TV (Sony)
Nov 23, 2017
9 posts
9 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 6:39 am
Can you stream from a NAS with Roku?

Sorry, I have only used WebOS (LG) and Android TV (Sony)
I was able to stream with plex, not sure if it will play from a NAS.
Jun 24, 2013
87 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought a tcl 4 series 43 inch for bedroom. It was $349 plus tax with Amazon prime and ebates 1%.. Will let you know my thoughts of it when using 4k on amazon fire stick. I have both bell fibe tv and Netflix premium to test 4k.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)