• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 8:33 am
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
94 posts
191 upvotes
Outremont, QC

[Costco] TCL 50 and 65 back in stock online *ON

Not sure how long this will last considering they seem to fly off the shelves . But they are both back online 579 -357 respectively . Don't forget to apply the 20$ online code .
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1421 posts
352 upvotes
Westcoast
thx op cheap tv for the basement
"Shorty wanna be a thug" -2pac
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25516 posts
5739 upvotes
Shaundoe wrote: ewww 4 series
Yeah I dunno why no 5-series in Canada anymore :( I bought a 43" 5-series in the US over the weekend. At $250 USD It wasn't really a great sale or anything, was the same price as a lot of larger TVs (including the 50" 4-series) but I weighed it as being not a super-low-end set and not a high-end one either. Sort of a decent middle-ground for a bedroom TV. I'm surprised I even considered buying a brand like TCL (all my other sets are Sonys) but I said what the heck let's give it a whirl as the Sony X800G is crazy overpriced in that size range and a pretty mediocre set at that. Samsung U7100 was $300 USD at this size and seemed like a dumb idea too. First tier brands be gougin' it seems LOL.

Really the best deal on the 5-series was the 55" at $330 (the 50" was $300) but then I can't really use that large a size in this application anyway, so I just saved the $$$ and bought the "worse deal" 43" set. Will see how it works out.

I was very near to getting a 50" Hisense H8F open box they had for $265 US which seemed like an awesome deal but when I asked about it turns out it wasn't really OB, it was the display model which did not have the remote or stand. Don't think I'll be using the stand but a display that's on 24/7 for months, is not that appealing. Plus the remote has BT/voice, so it's probably not that cheap to get a replacement. A new 50H8F would have been $350 but according to a Google search it has actually sold for less before so I just forgot about that after that. The 50" H8 doesn't even sell here either, only the 55" and 65".

After researching a bunch of different 40-43" sets in a limited amount of time on my cellphone, I came to the conclusion that the 43S525 despite being relatively "expensive" beside the low-rent Amazon and Insignia Fire TVs, the Sharp Rokus, and the cheaper TCLs as well, it's probably the best bet. Getting a premium 43" set at like $300-500 USD (Q60R is $500) seems to just be a total waste of money, so I think the 5-series should be the sweet spot.

Not sure why the 5-series isn't sold here. 6-series only comes in 55" and 65" as well so didn't really look into that. Vizio seems like a bust these days too. If one is buying a 55-65" set though there seem to be a lot of decent budget (not bargain basement) choices, the 6-series TCL and Hisense H8 seem to be really good bets. I just can't bring myself to get into the bottom-of-the-barrel stuff though. It's cheap, sure; but it's not at all good in most cases.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
94 posts
191 upvotes
Outremont, QC
My personal opinion viewing them on display , the Visio one listed at 679 at Costco was the best of the pictures . Also had Chromecast / Alexa/ HomeKit integration and Dolby vision . It’s more price wise the problem . If people are on a tight budget they either went with the hisense 65 for 499 or the tcl 4 series for 579 . Between these units I found the tcl had a more vibrant picture . Is it worth the extra 100$ , if your on a tight budget . No . As far as the person above saying 4 series eww , if we all had unlimited budgets I don’t think we’d be on RedFlagDeals looking at a budget 65 inch tv . Probably wait for the tcl 8 series .
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25516 posts
5739 upvotes
Matthewc85 wrote: As far as the person above saying 4 series eww , if we all had unlimited budgets I don’t think we’d be on RedFlagDeals looking at a budget 65 inch tv .
Right but I think the expectations are too much. People just want "moar inchez" for next to nothing, but don't want to understand that the price you pay for that isn't in dollars it's in poor quality, corners cut, and a lot of compromises. IMO one shouldn't expect to be buying a 65" TV for $550 and not have to make a lot of sacrifices. Personally I'd rather get a smaller, better set, for the same money.

It used to be that sets this large were typically in the higher end category so finding an el cheapo one just wasn't heard of. Now you have stuff going as low as $200 USD for a near 60" 4K set (the US Best Buy Insignia BF doorcrasher) and people thinking it's bestest evar, when in reality this TV just isn't that good. I mean the economies of scale here is good and all since a 60-75" set can be had for really affordable prices these days (remember when the few 75" LCDs out there were like $20k+ in pricing?). But, just beware of quality issues that are likely on such low-end models. IMO you don't need to have an "unlimited" budget, it's not like anyone is saying you have to buy a 100Z9G here, lol. We're not even saying to buy an OLED that's a couple thousand. Just saying there's sets out there that are significantly better that aren't too much more money.

On the plus side, hey, at least it's not a 3-series--those are even worse lol.
Mar 20, 2016
665 posts
456 upvotes
Montreal
Are you referring to vizio Quantum?
May 15, 2008
65 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
are these tv really not that great? what difference would I expect between a 4 series and a 6 series?
Jul 7, 2007
16 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up the 65" unit from Costco last night. I read ALOT of posts and rtings on all the tv's that where out there. This unit replaced the (don't laugh) 2004-5 Vizio 43" 1080 unit! I was worried about dirty screen, edge light bleed, viewing off angle, upscale of low quality video, etc. etc. All I can say is that 24 hours of having it, i am very happy. This unit doesnt have anything "bad" wrong with it. As compared to what I came from, it ticks all the boxes. Thanks RFD!
Sep 7, 2017
358 posts
231 upvotes
Setup the 65” Vizio quantum for my parents over the weekend. One that was $699 in store. And for the price I am impressed and they are pleased with the features and picture quality. It exceeds expectations for the price and the 5 year warranty from Costco is peace of mind. It is definitely not perfect but they didn’t spend $1200, $1500 or $2k. It is perfect for $699.
Oct 2, 2012
331 posts
244 upvotes
Ottawa
Matthewc85 wrote: Not sure how long this will last considering they seem to fly off the shelves . But they are both back online 579 -357 respectively . Don't forget to apply the 20$ online code .
What is the $20 online code?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25516 posts
5739 upvotes
MichaelC57225 wrote: I think they're referring to the V655-G9. I'm wondering how it compares to the TCL 6 series.

https://www.costco.ca/vizio-65-in.-smar ... 16660.html
This Vizio is comparable with the TCL 5-series (which isn't sold in Canada). In this case the Vizio has better contrast (the TCL is still very good in contrast), slightly better brightness, better uniformity, and better viewing angle. The TCL has better motion handling, lower input lag, better upscaling, wider colour gamut, and a better and smoother OS (Roku vs. proprietary Vizio). It's a bit of a toss up and even when I say one is "better", above, neither is hugely better than the other for the most part. However since the 5-series isn't sold here, the comparison is somewhat moot.

The 6-series is definitely superior though--better brightness and HDR, wider colour gamut, local dimming, better build quality, along with most of the other advantages of the 5-series over the Vizio.

Main downfall, IMO, with the TCL sets is their lacklustre grey uniformity (sets tend to exhibit more DSE than others). Vizio OTOH has a lot of quality/longevity concerns as of late I believe.
jason.chan07 wrote: are these tv really not that great? what difference would I expect between a 4 series and a 6 series?
6-series is significantly better, most of the advantages I've covered above. The 4-series is not great but it's no slouch either. In its price range it's actually pretty good TBH. It has very good input lag and response time (making it good for PC or gaming use), great native contrast, and it can have excellent colour accuracy (but only after calibration, not so great out of the box); however its colour gamut isn't great and its main downfall is the brightness. The two last things are "corrected" in the 5-series. The 4-series also has a rather low-rent design/build and looks the part of a "cheap TV" as it's pretty plasticky and unremarkable. The 5-series has a metal frame and a brushed finish, and looks much nicer--again I'm not sure why they stopped selling this series in Canada :(

The 6-series has even better build quality and is superior in nearly all areas to both of these though, however it only comes in 55 and 65 whereas the 4 & 5 come in smaller sizes. If you want something better than the 5-series (or 4-series in Canada) in say 40-50" sizing, you'll have to look at something first tier (which are typically unreasonably expensive IMO*), you've pretty much got the Vizio M-series and Hisense H8F and that's about it. Funny part about that though is the H8F only goes down to 50" but that model isn't available in Canada either, only the 55"+ is!

*Higher-end Sonys and Samsungs just aren't worth it in this size-class IMO and their lower-end offerings are still expensive... X800G pricing is laughable given it's a mediocre TV, while Samsung's RU7100 is cheaper/better but only slightly better than say a TCL 5 but is simply not worth the price difference in my view. Higher-end Samsung like the Q60R is just not worth spending the money on, on a smaller TV. Sony also has basically nothing than the X800G in less than 55" sizing, and that TV isn't that good as mentioned, leaving them in the weird position of having no 50" or lower TVs worth buying IMO. Their last-best 40-50" TV was the now-discontinued 49X900E. If you're buying a larger size though none of this really matters.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
94 posts
191 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Exactly , but if you have the budget , don’t fork out on the 6 series wait for that 8 to drop , it’ll blow you away . But as far as the Visio which I believe is now back to 799 at 679 it was a steal .

ES_Revenge wrote: Right but I think the expectations are too much. People just want "moar inchez" for next to nothing, but don't want to understand that the price you pay for that isn't in dollars it's in poor quality, corners cut, and a lot of compromises. IMO one shouldn't expect to be buying a 65" TV for $550 and not have to make a lot of sacrifices. Personally I'd rather get a smaller, better set, for the same money.

It used to be that sets this large were typically in the higher end category so finding an el cheapo one just wasn't heard of. Now you have stuff going as low as $200 USD for a near 60" 4K set (the US Best Buy Insignia BF doorcrasher) and people thinking it's bestest evar, when in reality this TV just isn't that good. I mean the economies of scale here is good and all since a 60-75" set can be had for really affordable prices these days (remember when the few 75" LCDs out there were like $20k+ in pricing?). But, just beware of quality issues that are likely on such low-end models. IMO you don't need to have an "unlimited" budget, it's not like anyone is saying you have to buy a 100Z9G here, lol. We're not even saying to buy an OLED that's a couple thousand. Just saying there's sets out there that are significantly better that aren't too much more money.

On the plus side, hey, at least it's not a 3-series--those are even worse lol.
Mar 1, 2019
39 posts
65 upvotes
A 65" 6 Series could go down to $799-699 in the new year but an 8 Series is like $2000 USD at the moment, not really in the same price category.