• Aug 28th, 2019 11:40 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
9084 posts
2925 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] TCL 55-in. 4K HDR Roku Smart TV 55S423CA $439 Online W/FS/In Store

Not really much talk about this TCL 4 Series 55" currently, most of the threads/talk have been about the much loved 6 Series, but for those who are looking for an inexpensive, economy, smart 4k 55" this is a good deal also IMO. Good for a second TV, dorm, gamer or for someone who isn't necessarily looking for the ultimate in picture quality, just something decent to watch.
Costco has these at $439 online, shipped, at the in store price now. That includes the usual 2 year warranty, 90 day return/unofficial price protection, and add $30 for an extra 3 years of warranty (total 5 years).
Also note that non-members can order online for shipping without having to join at Costco for this purchase, unlike an in store purchase.

Rtings Review Of Similar 55S425
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/4 ... -s425-2019
Last edited by idiotcanuck on Aug 22nd, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Jan 28, 2018
651 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jimboski wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 12:14 am
50" was $350 on Prime Day from what i remember.
*$319
We The North!
Feb 9, 2011
544 posts
116 upvotes
arusabalbata wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 1:56 pm
How's this TV compared to the TCL 6 series? Good buy?
Seems to be a considerable difference as the 6 Series has a much better panel. 6 Series has good brightness and darks, making it excellent in bright rooms. Ordered the 55” 6 Series and still in transit.
Aug 22, 2019
10 posts
10 upvotes
Ribbyx wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 2:05 pm
Seems to be a considerable difference as the 6 Series has a much better panel. 6 Series has good brightness and darks, making it excellent in bright rooms. Ordered the 55” 6 Series and still in transit.
Thanks - that's what i've been reading, but will you be using a lot of HDR content?

And did you get Costco warranty?
Feb 9, 2011
544 posts
116 upvotes
arusabalbata wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 2:07 pm
Thanks - that's what i've been reading, but will you be using a lot of HDR content?

And did you get Costco warranty?
Not setup for HDR right now as using a non 4K PVR setup. Although don’t mind being a little “future proof” and ready. I just wanted a bright screen and dark blacks. Saw the 4 Series at Costco after I actually ordered one as well and noticed that it was pretty well darker (not bright enough) than the surrounding TV’s. This made me second guess my purchase and go ahead and order a 6 Series. Yes with extended warranty taken. Although warranty is double the price for sets over $500. I can always try the 4 & 6 side by side to really compare, but think I’ll just stick with the 6 Series. I know it’s $250 bucks more and many will wonder if it’s worth the upgrade?
Aug 22, 2019
10 posts
10 upvotes
Ribbyx wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 2:17 pm
Not setup for HDR right now as using a non 4K PVR setup. Although don’t mind being a little “future proof” and ready. I just wanted a bright screen and dark blacks. Saw the 4 Series at Costco after I actually ordered one as well and noticed that it was pretty well darker (not bright enough) than the surrounding TV’s. This made me second guess my purchase and go ahead and order a 6 Series. Yes with extended warranty taken. Although warranty is double the price for sets over $500. I can always try the 4 & 6 side by side to really compare, but think I’ll just stick with the 6 Series. I know it’s $250 bucks more and many will wonder if it’s worth the upgrade?
Thanks I'm gonna head over to Costco this weekend to check them out in-store side by side. Just sold my 46 inch Sony LED TV... time for an upgrade. Not sure about 4 or 6 series yet, but going in-person to see them will help. Cheers!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
9084 posts
2925 upvotes
Toronto
Ribbyx wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 2:17 pm
Not to say this is the case at Costco, but I have seen other retailers who mess about with the settings of the cheap or on sale TV's to upsell the more expensive models. Best Buy is one. I would sometimes see the picture preset of the cheaper TV set down to movie, when the others were all in Vivid.
Seemed very coincidental that it was often just the cheap tv.
Also I have seen the demo signal set to the SD feed instead of the HD feed on some sale TV's in the old days too. Just saying that it couldn't hurt to make sure settings are as close as possible in a head to head comparison in case some enterprising seller is trying to boost their margin.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
9084 posts
2925 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like this is OOS online for now. Still available in store though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
9084 posts
2925 upvotes
Toronto
The 4 Series 55" is back in stock online for shipping.
Jul 20, 2016
189 posts
140 upvotes
arusabalbata wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 1:56 pm
How's this TV compared to the TCL 6 series? Good buy?
TCL is putting out fantastic tvs at great prices. I own a 65 4 series and 6 series. Next to impossible to tell differences. Though sometimes I pretend I can to look like a cool tech nerd. Cant go wrong with any TCL tv. Thumbs down are from people who dont own a TCL tv.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1626 posts
1102 upvotes
Windsor
torontocanada1968 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 6:32 pm
TCL is putting out fantastic tvs at great prices. I own a 65 4 series and 6 series. Next to impossible to tell differences. Though sometimes I pretend I can to look like a cool tech nerd. Cant go wrong with any TCL tv. Thumbs down are from people who dont own a TCL tv.
Its a Chinese brand. Thats why you got downvotes:
One voted Bad product/service
Two voted Other (downvote)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46384 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
torontocanada1968 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 6:32 pm
It's not impossible to tell the differences, there are huge differences.

SDR/HDR content on the 6 Series smokes the 4 Series. 6 Series is the brightest TV's in the sub $1000 price range. Motion interp on the 6 Series should be better also, the 4 Series had noticeable flicker issues (motion interp features not as good). No local dimming on the 4 Series, 6 Series has local dimming.

TCL 4 Series: 210 nits
TCL 6 Series: 1173 nits