Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] TCL 6 Series 65-in/55-in. 4K HDR Roku Smart TV with Dolby Vision 65R613CA $829/$599 Shipped

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2020 12:23 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2247 posts
74 upvotes
Montreal
nickwa wrote:
Darn - I will have to look at the Hisense 55Q7G then and see if it suffers from the same issue.
DimsumDeals wrote: no fix, its just going to come back from time to time.
Soap opera effect and this tv just goes hand in hand.
You better look elsewhere if you don't like this effect. I returned mine because I can't stand it.
You mean, you cant desactivate it?! Can you at least reduce the effect? Like 1 to 10?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1564 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
vpower wrote: You mean, you cant desactivate it?! Can you at least reduce the effect? Like 1 to 10?
you can deactivate it and reduce it, but it will come back on its own eventually.
it's a well known issue for this tv based on my research.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4189 posts
3994 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
The soap opera effect pops up when I watch Netflix and change the volume. As soon as the volume icon in the corner disappears it goes back to normal.

It's the WEIRDEST thing.
Jan 2, 2008
24 posts
7 upvotes
Here's a thread I've been following on the Roku Forum: https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussio ... d-p/554514

I've used the built in roku app as well as Xbox One x and have the issue. And with the One X, sometimes the picture is dark and grey on netflix, almost like you're wearing sunglasses and you have to disable the HDR. There is hope the released 9.4 update, not released on the tvs yet, will fix the issue. But so far Roku hasn't been helpful, at least from what you can see on the thread.

As mentioned earlier, I tried just about everything in the thread with temporary success at best. I don't think it's just my tv, seems like a widespread issue.

I already packed up a 65" Hisense R series (the cheap one) because 4k wasn't that noticeable, just a pain to return another 65" tv.

Interestingly, someone did mention in the thread that their Roku Sharp tv had the same issue. So wondering if it's a roku tv issue, or a TCL issue.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4915 posts
3899 upvotes
Edmonton
nickwa wrote: Want to pick up a TCL 6 (possibly 5) series this BF but I cannot watch a tv with "soap opera effect". Can anyone comment on how prevalent an issue this is and if there is a definitive fix for it?
Using the built in Apps and using my Shield TV I have been able to turn it off. The two settings are "action smoothing" and "Natural Cinema". You have to do it for each picture profile and for each input so its a bit of hassle, but my TV remembered it. Granted, I am only really using one source for all content which is my Nvidia Shield so YMMW. I absolutely hate the soap opera effect and I am fine with this tv after turning it off.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Sep 20, 2009
21 posts
11 upvotes
Has anyone tried hooking their Switch to their 55"? We can't seem to get it to work and seems like some people have noticed this problem. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8917 posts
5315 upvotes
Toronto
irusli wrote: I tried that. no success.
Try pressing the reset button near the inputs, that fixed it for me.
Jan 2, 2008
24 posts
7 upvotes
For what it’s worth I have my switch hooked up to the 65 inch. Just finished playing Kirby. Never had an issue. Currently on hdmi 2.
Jul 13, 2006
283 posts
53 upvotes
Ottawa
I finally hooked up my 65inch. I don't seem to have any issues with the soap opera effect. However, I am noticing our infamous dirty screen effect (DSE). Is it normal for the TCLs to have some form of it? Just wondering if I should play the panel lottery game with Amazon, especially now that they're sold out of the 65inch.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4915 posts
3899 upvotes
Edmonton
omar613 wrote: I finally hooked up my 65inch. I don't seem to have any issues with the soap opera effect. However, I am noticing our infamous dirty screen effect (DSE). Is it normal for the TCLs to have some form of it? Just wondering if I should play the panel lottery game with Amazon, especially now that they're sold out of the 65inch.
Let it run for a few hours and copy the picture settings from Rtings. Then check DSE. Also post pictures to see how bad it is before you play the lottery.

Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1412 posts
367 upvotes
Bedford
The .0.4 update may also have Apple Airplay 2, which would be huge for me.

Anyone have any issues wall mounting the TCL?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2348 posts
994 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mcq2007 wrote: Has anyone tried hooking their Switch to their 55"? We can't seem to get it to work and seems like some people have noticed this problem. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks!
no problem hooking up the switch. i also have the 55 inch. only problem i ever had was with my xbox one as i use a splitter and got the wrong one (one that isn't hdcp 2.2)
Sep 20, 2009
21 posts
11 upvotes
sumtimw0ng wrote: no problem hooking up the switch. i also have the 55 inch. only problem i ever had was with my xbox one as i use a splitter and got the wrong one (one that isn't hdcp 2.2)
Thanks for letting me know. We couldn't hook it up to our old Sony as well hence thinking that it should work with the new TV but it doesn't. Oddly enough it worked fine with a cheap RCA TV. No idea why.
Jan 17, 2017
176 posts
71 upvotes
So how does the remote work for this version of the 65". I have the series 4 and it kind of sucks. You have to have it pointed directed at the bottom of the tv. Very annoying
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8917 posts
5315 upvotes
Toronto
plummer6699 wrote: So how does the remote work for this version of the 65". I have the series 4 and it kind of sucks. You have to have it pointed directed at the bottom of the tv. Very annoying
Remote is RF on this model so don't need to point it anywhere.
Jul 13, 2006
283 posts
53 upvotes
Ottawa
What do you guys think? Too dirty?

Now that I know about this, it does bug me a bit. But I'll see if it helps to run the TV a bit before sending it back.

TCL trying to catch me riding dirty...
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4915 posts
3899 upvotes
Edmonton
omar613 wrote: What do you guys think? Too dirty?

Now that I know about this, it does bug me a bit. But I'll see if it helps to run the TV a bit before sending it back.

That looks pretty good to me.

Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4915 posts
3899 upvotes
Edmonton
plummer6699 wrote: So how does the remote work for this version of the 65". I have the series 4 and it kind of sucks. You have to have it pointed directed at the bottom of the tv. Very annoying
Best buy (615 model) has IR remote. Costco(613) and Amazon (617) have RF remote. I've just been controlling everything with my shield TV remote. The Roku app is pretty useful too.

Oct 14, 2010
87 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto

Mine looks almost exactly like this. The dark stripe (band?) down the right side bothers me sometimes. And I noticed a fair amount of DSE while playing games the other day.
I'm leaning toward returning and trying to get the 65" x900h if it comes back in stock. I've heard good things about its screen consistency.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10521 posts
4879 upvotes
Toronto

Hard to tell really from pictures, but if you notice it in regular watching, you might need to return or exchange. The problem is that once you have seen it, most people continue to look for the DSE, and it distracts you.
Personally, I was 2/3 with cheaper Hisense's last year. My first had moderate, but very visible DSE, returned, second was pristine, and the next was also almost perfect too. I am still unsure if these issues are panel specific, caused by other production issues, or shipping/handling related.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.