Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Tiger 4 in 1 rice cooker (made in Japan) $139.97 (regular $199.99) Hot

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 10:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1116 posts
1215 upvotes
for health reason, i don't recommend the rice cooker with Telfon coating pot . whatever the brand..... go with stainless steel or ceramic...
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2374 posts
927 upvotes
ben2003 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:15 am
for health reason, i don't recommend the rice cooker with Telfon coating pot . whatever the brand..... go with stainless steel or ceramic...
Based on you being a doctor and your extensive research on the matter?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1116 posts
1215 upvotes
i am not but I won't take that risk...
zzzz24 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:29 am
Based on you being a doctor and your extensive research on the matter?
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2100 posts
1165 upvotes
Toronto
ben2003 wrote:
I would have to agree with this!

I am not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Jan 12, 2017
660 posts
762 upvotes
YK
muffin_man wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:02 am
Instanpot is worthless for rice.
My instant pot from the cupboard works well. We just wash the pot, turn on the stove, follow the directions on the package of rice and Voila, in about 20 minutes we have cooked rice. Cost a few cents per serving.
Winking Face
Jul 4, 2018
143 posts
73 upvotes
Great price. If only it was this price last month i would have gotten one for sure
Put some resphek on my name!
Feb 23, 2017
157 posts
78 upvotes
Real talk. What can a $200 rice cooker do that my $20 black and decker cant ? I love rice but never understood this. Most of them just seem to be multi tool. But if I just want rice and rice only.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1541 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
honestly, follow a decent recipe for stove top white rice and you can declutter the rice cooker, whether $20 or $200. I've had the $200 japanese fuzzy logic rice cookers, I've used the instant pot to make rice. Now we just make it in a pot. I use a staub rice cocotte (for looks mainly) but a stainless steel saucier works just fine.

1) Boil water
2) Add rice
3) 15-20 minutes simmering
4) 10-15 minutes heat off & covered (so it doesn't stick to the bottom and comes together)
5) fluff

Bonus: soak the rice for a few hours, but it messes with your water ratio and I can't do that on weekdays

For brown rice, the instant pot is quicker than a fuzzy logic (2 hours!), so I'd recommend that if you have it.
Aug 4, 2004
337 posts
143 upvotes
Elysianlight wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 1:44 pm
Real talk. What can a $200 rice cooker do that my $20 black and decker cant ? I love rice but never understood this. Most of them just seem to be multi tool. But if I just want rice and rice only.
some of the higher end rice cooker will able to adjust accordingly themselves to ensure the rice won't be over cooked / under cooked. Each brand of grains (I am not talking about brown / white rice, I mean the brands of the rice itself) may be different when it comes to water needed. Yes, there are marking on the pot no matter what but some brand of rice may absorb more water and some need less.. the lower end / base rice cooker would all depends on what the user put in and if there is some human error, it would reflect it.. these high end model would able to "correct" it a bit and cook it evenly.

Especially if you only need to cook 1/2 cup, the lower end could definitely "burn" some of them or made it super dry and hard and you may actually need to cook more in order to get the amount that is good to eat.. while the high end one will have it done properly without wasting extra.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
3359 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
ben2003 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:31 am
i am not but I won't take that risk...
How's it a risk if you don't understand it?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1541 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
SuSHi wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 2:00 pm
How's it a risk if you don't understand it?
"I heard that dihydrogen monoxide is a carcinogenic substance. I better not risk it and will avoid it entirely! Anything you tell me otherwise is fake news!"
Oct 17, 2010
347 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
ben2003 wrote:
I hear you and I do agree with you. However after try using an instant pot stainless steel cooker to make rice for 2 weeks straight I went back to the Japanese rice cooker that I own. No matter what I try with my new fancy pressure cooker... the texture and quality of rice is just not the same. I'd give it a 5/10 for the quality of rice by instant pot. There's a reason why all these Japanese manufacturers make a cooker just for rice and rice only. On the other hand. I love using the old school clay pot which is still the best for rice as far as quality of rice and health reason.

P.S. I don't have a single Non stick cookware in my kitchen. Except for the rice cooker everything I have is stainless steel including my wok. I cook everyday for a family of 5.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1541 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
Tobsterboi wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 2:11 pm
P.S. I don't have a single Non stick cookware in my kitchen. Except for the rice cooker everything I have is stainless steel including my wok. I cook everyday for a family of 5.
Why is your wok stainless steel?

/teasing (I know, you meant it's not non-stick. Unless you actually have a ss wok. for shame)