• Jan 21st, 2019 10:09 pm
Dec 3, 2010
388 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
ben2003 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:31 am
i am not but I won't take that risk...
Stainless steel leaches chromium, which is toxic in high concentration. Stop using stainless cookware and utensils as well? Stop fear mongering.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8651 posts
1681 upvotes
Montreal, QC
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 2:51 pm
I would go with induction heating.

Keeps rice good for another day (two in total).

Also, the bottom of the bowl doesn't get burned.
Rice is so easy to make...why not make smaller, fresh batches....

I haven't seen any burnt rice, not even in my $20 Tatung from Newegg lol
Oct 7, 2017
176 posts
60 upvotes
Hamdeals wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 11:00 am
Been waiting for this for while
This is good rice cooker. Instant pot has more features but this is best as a rice cooker.
Oct 7, 2017
176 posts
60 upvotes
anthony8 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 3:55 pm
I saw this in the Scarborough location. I would have bought it, but the capacity is too large for me. This is a ten-cup, good for families.
Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow. It's good for my family.
Oct 7, 2017
176 posts
60 upvotes
NoWynne2018 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 12:50 pm
My instant pot from the cupboard works well. We just wash the pot, turn on the stove, follow the directions on the package of rice and Voila, in about 20 minutes we have cooked rice. Cost a few cents per serving.
Winking Face
I have to disagree. I love instantpot but it's terrible as a rice cooker.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49335 posts
14597 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 7:38 pm
Rice is so easy to make...why not make smaller, fresh batches....

I haven't seen any burnt rice, not even in my $20 Tatung from Newegg lol
There's four of us so it adds unknown variables.

Induction also takes just 20 mins to cook in quick mode but there are other things to do too.

Rice is more expensive in the long run. Might as well put in some quality.

I hear you. I still have a B&D in the basement but at least yours is Taiwanese.
May 18, 2007
509 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto
lyfeca wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 6:16 pm
the instant pot seems much better than this
muffin_man wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:02 am
Instanpot is worthless for rice.
yesstyle wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:48 am
i cook rice in my IP and rice comes out the same as my made in Japan Zojirushi.
ben2003 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:15 am
i don't recommend the rice cooker with Telfon coating pot
Taihou wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 7:47 pm
I have to disagree. I love instantpot but it's terrible as a rice cooker.
Everyone I know with an Instant Pot - including folks that gave up using their Zorushi - to cook rice. It cooks it perfectly in <20 minutes. And the IP doesn't have a no-stick pot which is also a good thing.
Last edited by canada_dry on Nov 28th, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 29, 2011
118 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I wish the inner pot was stainless steel. but I never find any Tiger rice cookers have stainless steel inner pots.
Oct 7, 2017
176 posts
60 upvotes
canada_dry wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:01 pm
Everyone I know with an Instant Pot - including folks that gave up using their Zorushi - to cook rice. It cooks it perfectly in <20 minutes. And the IP doesn't have a no-stick pot which is also a good thing.
YMMV. Everybody has his own favorite. Choose the one you think best for you.

I use Instantpot to cook a lot of things and I love it, except rice.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1558 posts
776 upvotes
Vancouver
canada_dry wrote:
The problem is when you make a dish that needs the IP and want rice as a side. Some people buy a 2nd IP, that's silly to me. Learn to do stove top rice and free up the IP for the main dish.

Or keep a fuzzy logic on your counter space and feel cluttered.
Dec 3, 2010
388 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
canada_dry wrote:
I also tried rice with instanpot. Fast yes, but rice is just not the right consistency. Not to mention that the bottom layer is cooked to a crisp and stuck to the pot.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5963 posts
207 upvotes
Scarborough
I went to the Scarborough location to look for this but the lady said they don't have any more :(
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1754 posts
564 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have a zojirushi from T&T and for some reason, sometimes the lever clicks early and the rice isn't even cooked yet. When i try to click it down again to cook, it doens't stay down. Only when i wait a while can i then click the lever down again. sometimes, the rice cooks perfectly...not sure why.
Jan 24, 2018
25 posts
31 upvotes
Maybe unrelated but... Who cares about the side dish tray? I just dump my seasoning, rice, veggies, water, cut up veggie sausage, etc, all of it goes into one pile and comes out cooked perfectly every time.

That's just me, I guess, I'm a simple dude. But using two cookers or making more dishes just to mix them together on your plate later seems insane.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1095 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
I went to Japan a few years ago and checked out the rice cookers they sell there in a few department stores. This model you're seeing here is like their lowest end model. Their highest end models was over $1000 CAD after currency exchange...that was when the exchange rate was better for CAD too. Their department stores also sell rice cookers for North America (120V) and Europe (220V)....selection is much less...prices are much higher.

I ended up bringing a Japanese rice cooker (100V) that is better than any rice cooker that I've tried.

Instapot is definitely really bad for cooking rice. You get mushy / wet rice...it doesn't matter how you adjust the water ratio really. I mean...if you think about it, you're pressure cooking your rice....why would you actually want that....

Rice in Japanese restaurants comes out really well made. I think it's a combination of the rice grains they use and cooking devices.
The other place that I tasted really yummy rice was in Bali where I took a cooking class with a Balinese family. The rice cooking looked like this:

I cook / eat rice every day. I think the rice we get here in Canada isn't the greatest either. There's some OK brands but lots of bad ones. One time, we ran out of rice and, in a pinch, I tried save-on-foods in-house brand rice (Western Family brand) in a 10 KG bag.....no matter how we cooked it, it came out with a plastic feel to it. We started to think it was fake rice.