Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Tiger 4 in 1 rice cooker (made in Japan) $139.97 (regular $199.99) Hot

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2019 1:34 am
Jul 26, 2009
22 posts
34 upvotes
I thought this forum was about hot deals, not hot meals?

Dave510 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 9:55 pm
Rice isn't just a Japanese thing. You acknowledge people have different taste, but can't wrap your head around the concept that some people actually would prefer rice cooker made rice, hence making the rice cooker potentially worth the money?
fastdown wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 8:51 pm
In fact it is not worth the money. Rice taste is a very localized thing, different people usually prefer different taste. In Japan rice has a special status among their food and they are obsessed with it, almost becomes a ritual. So rice cookers have to be expensive, to reflect rice's status.

But it is not necessary to be good, nor it can cook rice to your taste. The preferred taste of cooked rice in north America is different from Japan.
fastdown wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 10:15 pm
Rice itself has so many different kinds, like Thai rice, Japanese rice, Indian rice ..., they all taste differently and require different cooking settings. One rice cooker is usually optimized for one specific rice (probably Japanese rice cooker), or set to compromise for a basket rices (probably instant pot). So you see contradictory claims for those rice cookers, actually they all tell the truth. The preferred taste of rice really depends on what kind of rice, and what you like. Japanese rice cooker may not be the best for you if you prefer Thai rice.

Besides we don't have Japanese grown rice here, which is very expensive. Buying this rice cooker may just mean you pay premium for the Japanese rice ritual if you don't prefer their flavor. There are so many variables in rice cooking that one specific rice cooker can't satisfy all definitely.
Oct 7, 2017
176 posts
60 upvotes
fastdown wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 10:15 pm
Rice itself has so many different kinds, like Thai rice, Japanese rice, Indian rice ..., they all taste differently and require different cooking settings. One rice cooker is usually optimized for one specific rice (probably Japanese rice cooker), or set to compromise for a basket rices (probably instant pot). So you see contradictory claims for those rice cookers, actually they all tell the truth. The preferred taste of rice really depends on what kind of rice, and what you like. Japanese rice cooker may not be the best for you if you prefer Thai rice.

Besides we don't have Japanese grown rice here, which is very expensive. Buying this rice cooker may just mean you pay premium for the Japanese rice ritual if you don't prefer their flavor. There are so many variables in rice cooking that one specific rice cooker can't satisfy all definitely.
I like Indian rice (Royal Basmati Rice) and I use China made rice cooker and it works fine. Tried this tiger one and it's even better. I'm sure Japanese made car will fit Canadian road just fine .
Mar 7, 2008
787 posts
58 upvotes
At Costco Kirkland MTL, they have about 30 on the pallet 139.97 of these
Aug 31, 2010
74 posts
35 upvotes
I got 2 extras if anyone want. I'll let them go for cost+$10 for my time/gas. Woodbine/Hwy7 area. One of them looks brand new in box but is missing the rice scoop if that's a problem.
Dec 21, 2012
220 posts
193 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Daijoubu wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 10:11 pm
The truth is, when I first got my Tiger, I couldn't tell that much of a difference vs my cheap Tatung, took much longer to cook rice because of micom...
As long as you buy decent quality rice and use the correct amount of water, perhaps a fuzzy logic rice cooker is more forgiving... for those who uses too much/too little water, the finger is NOT an accurate measurement device contrary to what the elders make us believe. 🤣

But the other cooking modes and timer functions are nice to have features.
Dude. That's blasphemy. You can't cook proper rice without the finger method.
Feb 24, 2009
98 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone seen these in stock at a GTA location ?

Thanks in advance !!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes
I’ve never needed to make so much rice that I needed a dedicated machine to cook it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8829 posts
1808 upvotes
Montreal, QC
whoace wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 5:05 pm
Dude. That's blasphemy. You can't cook proper rice without the finger method.
lol, measuring cups and/or inside marking lines never failed me.
About 200mL of water per "cup" of rice (~180mL), usually ends up spot on the line.
Aug 31, 2010
74 posts
35 upvotes
imtapan wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 7:49 pm
Has anyone seen these in stock at a GTA location ?

Thanks in advance !!
It seems to be OOS everywhere. If you really want one, I still got one extra but it's missing the rice scoop if you are ok with that. The other complete one - another fellow rfder asked first so he can have that one.
Nov 13, 2005
172 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary
Daijoubu wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 10:50 pm
lol, measuring cups and/or inside marking lines never failed me.
About 200mL of water per "cup" of rice (~180mL), usually ends up spot on the line.
Never fails, always wash it a few times, then add water and swish the rice so it is level in the bowl. Then finger to the top of the rice and water should just be at the top of my fingernail. Perfect everytime.
Apr 30, 2009
506 posts
267 upvotes
GTA
second2none wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 7:56 pm
I’ve never needed to make so much rice that I needed a dedicated machine to cook it.
This poster ain’t Asian.

I ain’t either, but somehow ended up with one and then I bought a rice cooker. Face With Stuck-out Tongue
Last edited by karlb on Dec 2nd, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 30, 2009
506 posts
267 upvotes
GTA
canucktfi wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 12:42 am
Never fails, always wash it a few times, then add water and swish the rice so it is level in the bowl. Then finger to the top of the rice and water should just be at the top of my fingernail. Perfect everytime.
I wonder how this varies as fingernail lengths vary. Do people with longer fingernails prefer more moist rice?

All said in jest, as I have used this method before. Just wonder if it always works, or just for some people.
Nov 10, 2014
136 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I've heard about the "finger" method but also wondered about different finger sizes...do people's fingertip lengths not vary that much? I've also heard it two ways, fingernail or to the first knuckle--which one is correct? Does this actually work with any quantity of rice?

Can someone just give me an exact measurement of what it's supposed to be in cm/inches?

(Btw, Costco Kanata in Ottawa still has a bunch left if anyone is looking.)
May 5, 2017
317 posts
66 upvotes
We use our cheap zoji everytime we make sushi rice. They're great for that. Haven't been blown away for jasmine/normalish rice so we don't use it on a day to day... small kitchen.