Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7951 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto

Costco Tire Centres - all equally bad?

My experiences are limited to the Etobicoke location but I'm wondering if all Costco Tire Centres are as bad as that location. Besides the usual chaos about appointments or lack of them, every time I go there I see customers being abused or misinformed by (some of) the staff. Yesterday, a guy with perfectly good tires was being told that they would not rotate/rebalance them next time as they needed to be replaced. These were one year tires with plenty of thread left on them (I looked). Another customer had waited over 3 hours to have a puncture repaired (which earlier they had looked at and told him they could repair) only to be told that it was not repairable and that he would either have to buy a new SET of tires or come back in a week to get a single new tire. In the meanwhile, he would have to drive on his doughnut spare. Both these customers were "a certain age" and could be described as vulnerable.

It seems to me that the quality of customer care and service at Costco does not extend to their Tire Centre - at least in Etobicoke! Is it the same everywhere?
Last edited by Jimbobs on Sep 24th, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
34 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33995 posts
19846 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a bad experience at a local Costco also; in which I specifcally made an appoinment to replace a leaky valve stem and all they did was un-mount and mounted the tires back.
No problem for me, I took the receipt, went to the customer service desk and stated that I was not happy with the service and was given a refund.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13963 posts
8372 upvotes
Toronto
Costco. The next Canadian Tire. These are the tales of bad experiences.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 4, 2004
428 posts
217 upvotes
the Newmarket one I went is ok. They would take few appointments each day and open up to whoever shows up. Except the tire change season that I wouldn't get it done same day to wait in line (usually I go after work around 4:30 and usually get the car in at 7).. went there more than 10 times and so far everything is good.
May 26, 2005
765 posts
490 upvotes
The ones that I go to in BC have been great. I don't hesitate to go there.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7951 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
I was back there - for the last time ever - on Thursday and overheard one of the staff telling a customer that he wouldn't sell him winter tires in case they developed "dry rot" over the summer. Apparently, the guy had been told that his winter tires were shot and he would need a new set next winter so he wanted to get it done now.

The customer was older but not stupid and he just laughed!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3732 posts
681 upvotes
Newbury, ON
I've had good service at the Waterloo location. but then again I just went there to get new tires put on. I would not go there for troubleshooting or other service. The guys there seem to know their stuff but have a narrow focus.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4476 posts
3050 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
roastpuff wrote: The ones that I go to in BC have been great. I don't hesitate to go there.
Do you know if the Costco in BC will install tires on aftermarket wheels? I heard they only install on OEM wheels.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
May 26, 2005
765 posts
490 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Do you know if the Costco in BC will install tires on aftermarket wheels? I heard they only install on OEM wheels.
Depends on the Costco, but the ones that I have been to (Prince George, Burnaby, Willingdon [Burnaby]) have worked on my truck's wheels no problem. Pro Comp 17" aftermarket rims. Have also worked on my brother's car, 18" aftermarket wheels.
May 10, 2008
401 posts
326 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I was at the Willingdon location to get a price quote for new tires. I can't comment on how well they get the actual tire stuff done, but I stood in line for a good 40 minutes waiting to speak to someone at the tire department. I watched the lone salesperson (mechanic?) talk to a customer, who he had been helping since before I got there, for 20 minutes before he made effort to look up and acknowledge the lineup. He then got someone to come out and help the next customer. Another 10 minutes passed and the woman behind me couldn't take it anymore and interrupted one of them because she was scheduled to pick up her car 30 minutes ago and she needed to go home.

I asked all my questions in 5 minutes and left. The unhappy customer next in line told them that his appointment was 45 minutes ago.

My experiences are limited and I'm thinking of getting my tires done at Costco, but is this level of service typical for their tire department? They are probably swamped due to the current promotion. Are some locations better than others? Any recommendations? :P
Jun 1, 2008
706 posts
227 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've been a lot of Costco Tire Centres and the best service I had was at the Markham location. Worst I've had was at Woodbridge.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3732 posts
681 upvotes
Newbury, ON
I suppose it also depends when you go. The fall "OMG I need winter tires yesterday" tends to clog up most tire places. But they don't seem equipped to deal with more then a few customers in que.
Aug 19, 2012
57 posts
41 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I'm currently looking to buy new tires for my car, and happened upon this thread. My parents both get their tires from Costco, and get them rotated etc. at Costco, and they're always commenting about how it takes 2 or 3 hours whenever they go to do it.

I was planning on getting my tires at Costco, but was not looking forward to the long wait times whenever I will go for service. However, just now I discovered that Kal Tire offers Price-matching +5% off (Costco is actually mentioned in one of their testimonials). Their installation price is slightly higher than Costco though at $23 per (vs $15 per), but on a $150/each tire it works out to the same price after the discount. They also have the same lifetime free service that Costco offers.

I'm probably going to go with Kal Tire now, since I've had good experiences with them in the past in terms of short wait times and good service. Also, they accept AMEX so I can get my MR points :D
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4286 posts
946 upvotes
Are their tires and btteries priced competitively ? Looking to get new battery and summer only tires for my crv.
Still serving a 90 day suspension from " off topic "and "politics "May 21,2020.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4286 posts
946 upvotes
Are their tires and btteries priced competitively ? Looking to get new battery and summer only tires for my crv.
Still serving a 90 day suspension from " off topic "and "politics "May 21,2020.