• Oct 2nd, 2020 11:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7947 posts
1625 upvotes
Toronto
pfbmgd wrote: Are their tires and btteries priced competitively ? Looking to get new battery and summer only tires for my crv.
I have found their batteries to be consistently good at a reasonable price and with a very good warranty. Their tires can be a good deal if you buy when there is a deal available and when you consider the included services. However, it does depend on the level of service which seems to depend on your local warehouse. My experience at their Etobicoke location has been consistently bad.
Jul 25, 2015
870 posts
713 upvotes
Costco at Barrhaven in Ottawa. The guy said he would refuse to install a single tire due to a flat because the other tire tread life is low. I told him the dealership said it is fine. He absolutely refused and even pulled out a stupid card measuring tread depth gauge. Show up a week later with 2 new sets of tires. Get a call from them saying, that only one tire is needed if they want me to install both tires or just the single. WTF
Jun 10, 2008
445 posts
322 upvotes
Halton Hills
I used to work in a Costco tire center. Like most business', you'll get good and bad employees. Myself and a couple of other guys were really good. We would go way above and beyond to help people out. We understood that people payed a membership and expected a higher level of service than our competitors. Some of my other coworkers were the absolute rudest, laziest people I have ever met. Luck of the draw.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4286 posts
944 upvotes
Never again buying tires at Costco . On Friday dropped off the car to have tires installed . I never really paid attention to the car as my wife picked it up. Yesterday I go to wash it . I notice tool marks ( scratches ) on 3 out of 4 rims . I use winter tires/rims and there is zero curb rash on any of the rims . I`m going to go this morning to show them the damage .
Still serving a 90 day suspension from " off topic "and "politics "May 21,2020.
Apr 11, 2018
1 posts
My experience is like yours at the location in Kanata (Ottawa). My partner and I will never go back to them for switching out our all season and winter tires. Every time we make an appointment, we’re made to wait 1.5+ hrs. They also say they’ll text or phone when they’re done or when the tires you ordered come in. They never have. If you can’t manage your appointments or customer callbacks in a timely fashion, what’s the point? There’s also usually only one service person and a line-up out the door. Buy your tires there, sure, but go elsewhere to put them on.
Oct 14, 2019
1 posts
3 upvotes
This store has literally become a place of insanity. Got to the tire centre at 8am. Stood by the front door waiting for the opening at 8:45am. Could tell there were a lot of anxious customers. Literally had two customers race ahead of me to get to the check in desk first! After waiting an hour in the cold, I was so furious and then to have this customer literally sprint in front of me was the worst. I told the Costco employee that this customer cut in front of me and he said it was something I had to workout with the customer. I then asked to speak to the store manager Derek who tells me that he is sorry this happened but there is nothing he can do??? Tell the staff to serve me first!! How hard is that seriously! I told him he needs to make a proper line outside and issue people numbers. He tells me that this is too much to ask one of his staff to do. Well, Jose, the nice guy that I spoke to at the door entrance who was just standing there clearly had lots of time to hand out numbers. I won't be back here again for tires and I strongly recommend not supporting these people anymore until they get their act together.
Aug 22, 2008
4 posts
1 upvote
that Etobicoke Costco is that Bad. I have same experience. It was so bad I moved to the Dixie Dundas in Mississauga when they first opened. But sadly that Mississauga South location is now getting as bad as Etobicoke. 40-50% of the Tire staff from Etobicoke moved to Mississauag South. attitude came with it. I've also had tore repair refusal, big screw ups on tire install delays etc. Looking for a different Costco to deal with tires. Try a recently opened place outside GTA, probably friendlier service.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3092 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
I have had nothing but very positive experience at Woodbine Costco... Excellent team and hard working staff... It's the only Costco Tire Center I go to...:)

Do ask for Praba/Taline/Danny/Brian :) I have been there in the past four yrs...
Last edited by DJ Trance AZ on Sep 24th, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27369 posts
7677 upvotes
Old thread, seems bumped a few times since... I throw in my limited experience. Not that impressed. Not particularly unimpressed but probably would not go back there. I only went to patch a tyre and first of all they gave me the song and dance (without seeing the tyre) that it may not be repairable. Alright so first of all I know what's repairable and what's not but whatever they haven't seen it so give them the benefit of the doubt that they don't know that I know, what I'm talking about.

Then getting the wheel in is a pain because they expect to drive my car in and take the wheel off etc. Uh no, not touching my car and not working on it either--even if it's to "just" change a wheel. Don't trust you or anyone else, thanks. I already put a winter on and drove over here with the wheel/tyre in the trunk. At most tyre shops it makes their job easier when you just bring the wheel(s) in off the car, at Costblo it just confuses them i guess.

Anyway finally they get the wheel in and they are still like hurr durr we don't know if this can be repaired, have to have the tech check it out :rolleyes: Like really, you can't look at your own standards for repair diagram and see it's clearly in the repairable area? Whatever. So maybe like 1/2hr later they let me know it is repairable--'ya think? Fine whatever I go shopping in the store and then finish that up, come back tyre still not done, more people waiting, etc. Then it's just a waiting game along with a lot of other ppl. Basically 2-3hrs later it's done and I can finally get on my way. Oh right and I had to make an appointment for this? :eek:

It was cheaper than some other places but man sure as heck not as convenient. Also they put a nick in the wheel which is a piss-off but whatever it wasn't big, not even noticeable (but I know it's there) and I wasn't going to wait another 3hrs before someone looked at the damage to tell me some other nonsense :rolleyes:

Overall would not go back--I can't imagine how long people have to wait to get four tyres changed, on a vehicle, if it takes 2-3hrs to patch one tyre on one loose wheel, that was brought in for an app't time. People must have nothing good to do with their time to play these kind of waiting games there. Miss the days when Kal-Tire used to patch for free, but don't think they do anymore.
Oct 11, 2016
482 posts
147 upvotes
deelogic wrote: I've been a lot of Costco Tire Centres and the best service I had was at the Markham location. Worst I've had was at Woodbridge.
Same here. I complained - they offered a complimentary oil change. I even declined it and said in my head, I'm never going back to this Costco for Tires. I think someone on this board mentioned that the Costco Tire Centre is purely a loss leader stunt to get you to hang around the warehouse to shop more....not sure if that's true but it sure feels like it....
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27369 posts
7677 upvotes
yydd4567 wrote: Same here. I complained - they offered a complimentary oil change. I even declined it and said in my head, I'm never going back to this Costco for Tires. I think someone on this board mentioned that the Costco Tire Centre is purely a loss leader stunt to get you to hang around the warehouse to shop more....not sure if that's true but it sure feels like it....
That's true and all because what the heck else you gonna do while you wait there for 4 hours or so? lol

But this doesn't make much sense on other levels:
1. Neither the tyre shop nor the store are open to non-memebers/general public. So it's not like they are using the tyre/lube shop there to bring customers into shop.
2. People that are members there are already going to be shopping there on the regular--otherwise what's the point of being a member?

I suspect it's just to keep members being members by them thinking they are able to "do more", or "do things all in one place" as opposed to going elsewhere. There are going to be tons of Costblo fan boys and girls that swear by everything Costblo, including the tyre shop, pharmacy, optical centre and what have you. Now I am a Costco member mind you, but not really any kind of die hard fanboy of anything never mind a store I have to pay to be a member of...

To me, if anything, the tyre place makes me not want to remain a member because it feels more like a kick in the face, the waiting times. Because apart from people that know nothing about cars, don't know about real/good tyre shops, I don't think much can be said about Costblo tyre centre. I mean...
-The prices are okay. They are nothing spectacular, sometimes pretty good with rebates, but I don't see them having clearance specials or anything that's a truly "hot deal" when it comes to tyres.

-The service is, IME, mediocre. There is certainly worse out there and they are for the most part competent, but they're nothing to rave about I don't think. The "value adds" like nitrogen filling, free puncture repairs, road hazard warranty (which I think they have?), and "free" services like re-balancing and rotation...they all count for something. But, that something is not much when you consider the final point...

-Which is the horrendous wait times. Even though they won't do anything without appointments they take forever to do anything. It's like they're working in slow motion compared to tyre shops where they need to get customers in and out, do the job quickly and correctly, and with care (all things great tyre shops do pretty well), in order to make money. As said this may not even be a profit centre for Costco so who cares to make employees work more efficiently or get more customers through the doors and ensure they're happy? Seriously it's rather droll them getting on their nice little gloves and safety glasses and tip-toeing around in the shop and stuff but c'mon. I mean I'm all for safety and PPE and whatnot but seriously? No real tyre shops do things so daintily. They may wear protective gear sure but they don't act like mounting a tyre is like baking a fine cake, they treat it like what it is.

I mean the additional services/depts at Costblo aren't even that great. For example the optical place is a straight up joke. They don't. Sell. Colour. Contacts. Like what now??? What kind of dumb/lame policy is that? What kind of strange prejudice they got against colour contacts? :facepalm: I might get that they don't want to get into selling purely cosmetic contacts; but why the heck can't I get my colour contacts there if I need them for vision at the same time? Makes zero sense. Never seen a single other optical place, not one, that has that kind of policy. But that's Costblo for 'ya. They just do whatever and you're supposed to join their apostles and praise them for everything. Nah, I'm a member but I'm calling a spade a spade still thanks.

Tyre/lube centre? Literal waste of time.
Optical centre? Lame.

These are really not services that benefit me in any way as a member 'cause they're not that good. Though I've grown tired of the pizza and hot dogs (which I used to get all the time w/o being a member anyway), those things are still way better than bothering with tyre service or their joke of an optical centre. Never tried the pharmacy, don't know if I'll ever bother.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7947 posts
1625 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: ....
These are really not services that benefit me in any way as a member 'cause they're not that good.
I've been an on and off member for years. The additional services that I use most often are gas and propane refills, and pharmacy (although by law you don't need to be a member to use it). However, my bad experience with the tire centre pissed me off enough that I reduced my membership level to the lowest and dropped some other options.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27369 posts
7677 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: I've been an on and off member for years. The additional services that I use most often are gas and propane refills, and pharmacy (although by law you don't need to be a member to use it).
Not sure that actually applies in ON or Canada? I think there was a thread here of someone that tried to go to the pharmacy and got denied. Don't think we have laws like that--feel free to post/link the appropriate law if I am mistaken.
Jimbobs wrote: However, my bad experience with the tire centre pissed me off enough that I reduced my membership level to the lowest and dropped some other options.
Yeah that makes sense, waiting at the tyre centre will do that! Years ago my cheap-ass friend got a Costco membership just to get tyres. Then returned the membership a week later. I mean the real reason is he is a total cheapskate this guy but I don't really fault him as much now knowing how long he must have waited there--was most probably about $60 worth of waiting at today's min. wage, never mind what he makes lol.

Oh and just thought of another thing I can't make use of at Costco--the gas bar. Not high enough octane for me, unfortunately. The family member I share a membership with uses it though, so at least someone is.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7947 posts
1625 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Not sure that actually applies in ON or Canada? I think there was a thread here of someone that tried to go to the pharmacy and got denied. Don't think we have laws like that--feel free to post/link the appropriate law if I am mistaken.
OK. I was just repeating something I was told by somebody but never bothered to check.

EDIT: This blog post repeats the no membership needed for Costco pharmacy but may be Quebec biased: https://www.mtlblog.com/news/canada/cos ... membership
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9224 posts
1381 upvotes
Hears costco has best prices but then again they getting less competitive. There are lots of aunties and uncles and young girls that pure trust costco for warranty. Then you realize with the service package they charge is quite expensive compare to the more premium shops. Most premium shops include the balancing and installs and has similar warranty.

Also it gets pretty packed during swap seasons and like people say they are only easy swap focus and not much in troubleshooting. Totally no longer worth it.