Wheels and Tires

Tire Rotation/Balance/Nitrogen $21.99 **now offered on non-Costco tires

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 8:34 pm
Tags:
Nov 25, 2013
46 posts
14 upvotes
darklord700 wrote: You're a saint furia1. I would have bought another set elsewhere after the 2nd visit.
Can tires be returned???

Lol for once I went for "convenience". No kijiji RSS feed tire hunting, no tirerack shipping to CIBI...
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
1884 posts
124 upvotes
Calgary
furia1 wrote: Can tires be returned???

Lol for once I went for "convenience". No kijiji RSS feed tire hunting, no tirerack shipping to CIBI...
No return for tires. But I would have taken the loss, sold that set on Kijiji and went buy something else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3079 posts
1179 upvotes
furia1 wrote: Can tires be returned???

Did you get the universal rims or the hub centric rims?

Sounds to me like you got the cheaper universal rims which are prone to vibrations. Costco seamed to be patient with you but in the end the issue is the cheap rims you chose. These rims rely on the lug nuts, that's why they need to be tightened properly. It's not the tires or the installation, they will always vibrate at high speeds because it's impossible to have all four on properly at the same time.

Hub centric rims rely on the center hub hole to center the rim onto the hub at a perfect fit that was designed for your car.

Btw, your story is a little confusing as well, there are some prts that don't align to justify your claim.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7791 posts
973 upvotes
Costco in St. John's says they won't do tire changeovers (summer to winter) if they're not purchased at Costco.
Nov 25, 2013
46 posts
14 upvotes
Cech wrote: Did you get the universal rims or the hub centric rims?

Sounds to me like you got the cheaper universal rims which are prone to vibrations. Costco seamed to be patient with you but in the end the issue is the cheap rims you chose. These rims rely on the lug nuts, that's why they need to be tightened properly. It's not the tires or the installation, they will always vibrate at high speeds because it's impossible to have all four on properly at the same time.

Hub centric rims rely on the center hub hole to center the rim onto the hub at a perfect fit that was designed for your car.

Btw, your story is a little confusing as well, there are some prts that don't align to justify your claim.
Those were costco rims. They should be patient with their products. They were perfectly smooth before they changed my tires. After those six visits I got the rims to be perfectly smooth myself. My winters on ronal rims with good centering rings are very smooth. I figured out costco hub rings are junk and they caused the whole issue, but they should have known that. I am getting nice aluminum centering rings for them to make it easier, but I can install them anytime with a bit of care without any centering hub ring. Lots of people run universal hub wheels at the track without any centering rings because they melt, and they don't have vibrations. Need anything else lined up?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7791 posts
973 upvotes
HBP wrote: Costco in St. John's says they won't do tire changeovers (summer to winter) if they're not purchased at Costco.
As an update... anyone have something official from Costco stating that changing over winter tires that are already on rims and vice versa to summer tires is included in the $21.99 rotation/balance/nitrogen. This program is so new that I don't think the girl knew what she was talking about...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3079 posts
1179 upvotes
HBP wrote: As an update... anyone have something official from Costco stating that changing over winter tires that are already on rims and vice versa to summer tires is included in the $21.99 rotation/balance/nitrogen. This program is so new that I don't think the girl knew what she was talking about...
I just have a verbal confirmation from my local Costco that it is included.
Oct 7, 2005
442 posts
19 upvotes
Kitchener
Be aware, not all Costco locations may support tire swaps for non-Costco tires.

I was at the Costco Kitchener location on Monday evening and asked if they could swap a set of (non-Costco) winter tires on rims (purchased used on Kijiji) to another set of steel rims that match my vehicle. The person at the desk said yes they can do it as it was a new service offering that started that day and it would be $15/tire.

I went back yesterday morning and talked to a different attendant who refused to offer the swap service with a BS excuse that they do not have a price code in the system. They are only offering the services advertised on the new flyer (i.e. rotation, inflation, tpms, etc. for $21.99).
Feb 12, 2004
462 posts
29 upvotes
My wife went in to the Burnaby Costco because they never answer the phone. They don't take appointments. What is the deal when the website say local Costco take appointments?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3079 posts
1179 upvotes
wheeldeals wrote: My wife went in to the Burnaby Costco because they never answer the phone. They don't take appointments. What is the deal when the website say local Costco take appointments?
Did they have the banner with the new pricing in-store? If so, it should be written at the bottom that they now take appointments. Speak to a manager.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1877 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
wheeldeals wrote: My wife went in to the Burnaby Costco because they never answer the phone. They don't take appointments. What is the deal when the website say local Costco take appointments?
Try slipping a $20 bill under the counter.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7791 posts
973 upvotes
Thank you for your recent inquiry through Costco.ca.

A rotation refers to a seasonal tire swap.

If you have any further inquiries, please reply to this e-mail or call our member service agents at 1-800-463-3783, Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST. They will be happy to assist you.

Emily

Member Service

Costco Wholesale

--Original Message--
Date: 1/6/2016 10:41:22 PM
To: webservice@contactcostco.ca
Subject: Questions or Suggestions [#887996]

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on Thu Jan 07 2016 00:11:22 GMT-0330 (NST)

Regarding your new policy to service tires purchased elsewhere (other stores compared to Costco), does this mean you will now do seasonal changeovers of tires between summer and winter as well?

http://www.costco.ca/tire-centre-services.html

The link implies a rotation,balance,and nitrogen inflation for tires. Some warehouses seem to include changing over seasonal tires (as long as they're already on rims). Could you please clarify.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3079 posts
1179 upvotes
HBP wrote: Thank you for your recent inquiry through Costco.ca.

A rotation refers to a seasonal tire swap.

If you have any further inquiries, please reply to this e-mail or call our member service agents at 1-800-463-3783, Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST. They will be happy to assist you.

Emily

Member Service

Costco Wholesale

--Original Message--
Date: 1/6/2016 10:41:22 PM
To: webservice@contactcostco.ca
Subject: Questions or Suggestions [#887996]

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on Thu Jan 07 2016 00:11:22 GMT-0330 (NST)

Regarding your new policy to service tires purchased elsewhere (other stores compared to Costco), does this mean you will now do seasonal changeovers of tires between summer and winter as well?

http://www.costco.ca/tire-centre-services.html

The link implies a rotation,balance,and nitrogen inflation for tires. Some warehouses seem to include changing over seasonal tires (as long as they're already on rims). Could you please clarify.
Thanks for the info!! It'll take time, but all warehouse will get the memo and follow the same guidelines eventually.

I wish she would have been a little bit more detailed in confirming that the tires must be on their own set of rims, but it was implied in your question so..... It should be enough to confirm to those warehouses that don't understand the new policy.

Thanks again!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2004
1169 posts
67 upvotes
DOES their auto dept has the same operating hours as their store? $25.99 for 4 tires with tpm reset sounds so good go me =P
Apr 5, 2005
548 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
Cech wrote: Did they have the banner with the new pricing in-store? If so, it should be written at the bottom that they now take appointments. Speak to a manager.
My local Costco only has hand out cards / flyers for the new services, the glaring omission on them is there's no mention of appointsments available anywhere.
There's no poster on the wall for the new offers either.
Also, they've taken down the new tire purchase poster that had "Ask for an appointment" on it that I had previously pointed out to the person at the counter when he told me "we don't give appointments".
I tried making an appointment for an oil change and asked to make an appointment; he said 'sure' come back first thing on the day you want to have the service and we'll give you an appointment for that day.
Their idea of an appointment sure sounds like first come first served.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)