Tire Rotation/Balance/Nitrogen $21.99 **now offered on non-Costco tires

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 8:34 pm
Tags:
Apr 22, 2013
25 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Cech wrote: If both your winters and summers are on their own set of wheels, then it is considered a rotation swap. It should cost you 21.99 +tx every time.

You will get free services on the Costco tires only.
Thank you.

So that means if I buy my next set of all seasons from Costco, all my tires(with rims) will be from Costco, thus all my rotations/swaps will be free right? I think I read from a lot of posts saying that swaps are not considered as rotation thus it's not free(they explicitly said they bought both sets from Costco still not free). Did Costco change swap policy recently?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1494 posts
190 upvotes
Just had my tires swapped (not bought from costco) at ajax location.

I was charged $20 for balance and $25 for winter/summer swap. Tires were on rims. With tax it came to $49 and change.

I guess the 21.99 only applies to rotation.
Jan 28, 2015
148 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
Where do you go to refill the nitrogen?

And does it glitch up your TPMS?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3226 posts
1254 upvotes
Airdrie
AMAZIN wrote: Where do you go to refill the nitrogen?

And does it glitch up your TPMS?
Nitrogen won't have much of an effect on anything including your TPMS. Pure gimmick for tire installers. At least Costco doesn't charge for it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... techid=191
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/should- ... rogen.html

TL;DR : Nitrogen 1) can be drier than plain air and 2) may maintain tire pressures longer than plain air.

"Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly."
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
fq007 wrote: Just had my tires swapped (not bought from costco) at ajax location.

I was charged $20 for balance and $25 for winter/summer swap. Tires were on rims. With tax it came to $49 and change.

I guess the 21.99 only applies to rotation.
Were your summer tires on rims and your winter tires on a separate set of rims?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1494 posts
190 upvotes
Cech wrote: Were your summer tires on rims and your winter tires on a separate set of rims?
Yes both were on rims
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
fq007 wrote: Yes both were on rims
Then why did you balance them?

Very strange that they charged you separately.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1494 posts
190 upvotes
Cech wrote: Then why did you balance them?

Very strange that they charged you separately.
because my summer tires were off balanced from last year
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
fq007 wrote: because my summer tires were off balanced from last year
Makes sense.

I don't understand their logic. Why would a balance be cheaper than a swap?

You'd think that unmounting wheels, placing it on the balancer, balance, then remove and mount them back again would be more than just a an unmount/ mount.

You see here in Quebec, winter tires are mandatory so rotations are unnecessary when you're swapping every 6 months anyways. I'll have to ask them next time I go to my local Costco.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1494 posts
190 upvotes
Cech wrote: Makes sense.

I don't understand their logic. Why would a balance be cheaper than a swap?

You'd think that unmounting wheels, placing it on the balancer, balance, then remove and mount them back again would be more than just a an unmount/ mount.

You see here in Quebec, winter tires are mandatory so rotations are unnecessary when you're swapping every 6 months anyways. I'll have to ask them next time I go to my local Costco.
I was in a hurry so didn't try to get an explanation from them. When I visit them later I'll ask them about it. The email I received from costco earlier in the year also stated 21.99. I'll take that with me.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2004
1169 posts
67 upvotes
fq007 wrote: I was in a hurry so didn't try to get an explanation from them. When I visit them later I'll ask them about it. The email I received from costco earlier in the year also stated 21.99. I'll take that with me.
Can i have their email address please.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21640 posts
2408 upvotes
Paid $12 for a flat repair, it was a proper plug, patch and balance.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54019 posts
18967 upvotes
My local Honda dealership wanted to charge $99.88/tire set for balancing so I'm just doing one set there because I need to do the TPMS sensor swap and will have the other done at Costco. Not sure which tire set they are going to balance though -- the all seasons installed on the car or the winter tire set where the TPMS sensors will be transferred to. :)

-Rotation, Balance and Nitrogen Inflation: $21.99 for all 4
**Tires must already be mounted on rims
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3289 posts
929 upvotes
Edmonton
jdewit wrote:
Hard to believe with modern equipment. Put the wheel on the machine, spin and put the indicated weight on the indicated spot. Spin to check. Pretty hard to screw up.

Have you ever done it before? A little more complicated than that
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2010
1278 posts
48 upvotes
Aurora
Do you need you own membership card to do auto service, or could you just use a family members who lives in the same household?