• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 8:34 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5827 posts
2302 upvotes
Canuckland
FYI: for those getting this deal just b/c of nitrogen, it is snake oil.

Go ask your manufacturer.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54024 posts
18972 upvotes
I was at Costco Burlington this morning at 5:30 am as I was told the tire center would open at 6, but a sign suggested it would open at 8. Good thing they did open at 6.

I had Costco bought winter tires (in late 2010) for balancing and the service was free. I was told by the other associate not handling my order that by doing my own tire swaps, the warranties on the tires could be void. Maybe it was too early and he was saying stuff that are not accurate. I have them on separate wheels/rims so not sure if he thought otherwise.

Anyone know the actual policy to not void the warranty?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3027 posts
1151 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I was at Costco Burlington this morning at 5:30 am as I was told the tire center would open at 6, but a sign suggested it would open at 8. Good thing they did open at 6.

I had Costco bought winter tires (in late 2010) for balancing and the service was free. I was told by the other associate not handling my order that by doing my own tire swaps, the warranties on the tires could be void. Maybe it was too early and he was saying stuff that are not accurate. I have them on separate wheels/rims so not sure if he thought otherwise.

Anyone know the actual policy to not void the warranty?
Sorry, late to respond....
If it's on separate wheels then they can't prevent a warranty for a simple rotation. It's hard to prove who did it. As for mounting and balancing, I would guess that it may affect Costco's specific warranty but not the manufactures.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54024 posts
18972 upvotes
Cech wrote: Sorry, late to respond....
If it's on separate wheels then they can't prevent a warranty for a simple rotation. It's hard to prove who did it. As for mounting and balancing, I would guess that it may affect Costco's specific warranty but not the manufactures.
Thank you.

Mine are on separate steel wheels. Costco's warranty is six years and Michelin seems to base warranty on distance so my two XI2 sets seem to be still under warranty from Michelin but not Costco.
http://media.michelinman.com/content/da ... =255010881

Also, costco employee may be saying something that isn't as per Costco policy cause it was so early in the morning. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3027 posts
1151 upvotes
I got an appointment today for the balancing for $21.99. Took only 45 minutes, did some shopping during the wait so it worked out perfect.

Btw, I asked about swapping wheels and they told me that it's $6 each, so $24 for a seasonal swap. That's having two full sets of tires on wheels switched.
Feb 3, 2013
37 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
Can anyone confirm whether Costco mounts and balances tires that were not purchased through Costco? I was given a loose set of used winter tires that I want to put on a set of rims, which currently have all-seasons mounted on.

I understand Costco wouldn't warranty any of the work, nor am I expecting them to. Wondering if they will even entertain doing this service, and if so, at what cost?

Update: went to the Willingdon Costco and was advised that they will mount and balance tires that were not purchased from them. 16+taxes per tire ($11 mount, $5 balance). He said they will install the tire onto the vehicle if the tread wear is still good and if the tires meet the manufacturer specifications, otherwise you will need to install the tires yourself.
Last edited by iMpulZ on Dec 29th, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3027 posts
1151 upvotes
iMpulZ wrote: Can anyone confirm whether Costco mounts and balances tires that were not purchased through Costco? I was given a loose set of used winter tires that I want to put on a set of rims, which currently have all-seasons mounted on.

I understand Costco wouldn't warranty any of the work, nor am I expecting them to. Wondering if they will even entertain doing this service, and if so, at what cost?
Yes, it's in the original post.

-Tire Installation/mounting on wheels (any size) including balancing + Nitrogen: $15 per tire
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1076 posts
645 upvotes
Canada
Cech wrote: Yes, it's in the original post.

-Tire Installation/mounting on wheels (any size) including balancing + Nitrogen: $15 per tire
I don't really understand this pricing. Is it $15/tire or $22/tire or $15/tire + $22?

https://www.costco.ca/tire-centre-services.html

Their website is very vague.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3027 posts
1151 upvotes
Flames wrote: I don't really understand this pricing. Is it $15/tire or $22/tire or $15/tire + $22?

https://www.costco.ca/tire-centre-services.html

Their website is very vague.

The $21.99 is for rotation and balancing of all 4 tires.

$15 per tire is for mounting tires on rims and includes balancing. So it's $60 for all 4.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1076 posts
645 upvotes
Canada
Cech wrote: The $21.99 is for rotation and balancing of all 4 tires.

$15 per tire is for mounting tires on rims and includes balancing. So it's $60 for all 4.
Does this provide any guarantees for the life of the tires (like flat tire, balancing or something?)
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2082 posts
1529 upvotes
Waterloo
Flames wrote: Does this provide any guarantees for the life of the tires (like flat tire, balancing or something?)
No. You don't get warranty from them for externally purchased tires unless you purchase the tires itself from costco.
Dec 13, 2010
48 posts
38 upvotes
Calgary
Quick update for those like me trying to find current info:

I just called the Costco in Calgary and it's $63 for all 4 tires to be mounted and balanced. In my case I ordered All Weathers from Quattro Tires and will have them put on my existing rims.

Next best deal I found in Calgary was $100 for all 4.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7967 posts
4353 upvotes
Alberta
mau_mau wrote: Good deal I guess; expect to wait half a day, even with an appointment
Not really. I made an appointment for a Saturday at 3:15pm to have a set of 4 new Michelin Defender XT's put on. Was out of there by 4:25pm.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3027 posts
1151 upvotes
I also made an appointment a month ago to install new tires on rims at Bridge location at downtown Montreal. Cost $15 per tire, so prices are still current.