• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 8:34 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2233 posts
428 upvotes
York
Cech wrote: I also made an appointment a month ago to install new tires on rims at Bridge location at downtown Montreal. Cost $15 per tire, so prices are still current.
Don't mean to revive an old thread again, but was just wondering if the $15 to install and balance new tires to a separate set of rims includes the mounting of them onto the car as well? Or did you put them on after yourself?
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
The Destroyer wrote: Don't mean to revive an old thread again, but was just wondering if the $15 to install and balance new tires to a separate set of rims includes the mounting of them onto the car as well? Or did you put them on after yourself?
Yes it includes mounting.
Jul 27, 2011
47 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
Just had horrible experience with kanata Costco. I went there to swap winter tires on rims (not purchased in Costco) with all seasons on rims. They charged my 21.99 +24 = 51 with taxes. The explanation is that they would charge 21.99 only if it is rotation, balance and nitrogen and not if it is swap (though on rims). The extra 24$ is for balancing non costco tires on rims. Complete BS.
Rotation, balance and nitrogen is somehow less work than swap of tires all on rims, balance and nitrogen fill!
This additional cost is only revealed to you at the last minute even without giving the logic behind it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
imageidol wrote: Just had horrible experience with kanata Costco. I went there to swap winter tires on rims (not purchased in Costco) with all seasons on rims. They charged my 21.99 +24 = 51 with taxes. The explanation is that they would charge 21.99 only if it is rotation, balance and nitrogen and not if it is swap (though on rims). The extra 24$ is for balancing non costco tires on rims. Complete BS.
Rotation, balance and nitrogen is somehow less work than swap of tires all on rims, balance and nitrogen fill!
This additional cost is only revealed to you at the last minute even without giving the logic behind it.
Just a swap should be $24. (From summers to winters, already mounted)

They definitely should have told you that beforehand, instead they charged you the extra $21,99 for balancing, which you probably did not need.
Apr 20, 2018
2 posts
4 upvotes
I'd like to offer some insight as a former Costco employee about some common misconceptions about pricing and knowledge and whatever else. Just to begin, I've had the "pleasure" of working a few retail jobs, and I have to say Costco was the best and most honest out of all of them.

In relation to the tire centre, the pricing is constructed around the entire Costco model. It's an upfront and honest one, you get what you pay for, it's a warehouse and membership ideology. That's it, nothing hidden, no schemes to manipulate the customer or anything like that. It's based on a system of trust and honour, and offering a quality product and most importantly standing behind that product. For those of you saying "it's a loss model" and it's "run extremely poorly" I have to say that you're wrong. If anything, it speaks volumes to the dealerships and other retailers blatantly ripping you off for a service thats mostly labour anyway. Keep in mind you're still paying your membership fees, part of the cost also comes from that. And even if it were one, so what? Secondly about the poorly run part, long wait times aren't necessarily a byproduct of a poorly run place, it's more indicative of a service clearly enjoyed by customers who recognize a good and honest deal. And you're doing this about twice a year, it's hardly a waste of time when you get to save around $50 each time. But to each their own, at the very least it's good they've started accepting appointments.

About the technicians. Yes they're trained, yes they care about doing a good job. During the busy season, they bring on some additional seasonal guys to help out. They're usually runners in charge of bringing in cars and hoisting them up, taking wheels off, cleaning hubs (a service no one else really offers), etc. The more experienced guys are usually the ones balancing tires, fixing flats, taking the tires off of rims, etc. The head honcho(s) are all certified through Costco which is recognized by all the tire brands we sell. They actually go through a week long course in the US where they learn practically everything to do with tires, different strategies, techniques and whatever else. So rest assured that these aren't a bunch of high schoolers with impact guns going nuts. Which brings me on to my next point. Yes we use impact guns but only to tighten the bolts snugly, and then they are finely tuned to the proper specification using a torque wrench via a chart that basically lists the specific torque for every make/model. And then there is also the 40 km check that entails the same process.

Mistakes? We've made a few. But we're honest and upfront about them. It is in everybody's best interest to notify the member ASAP. We've sometimes scratched a rim, stripped a lug nut, or whatever else. Accidents do happen, we try our best but it's inevitable. But like I said, I've never seen a fellow tech of mine ever straight up lie about doing something incorrectly or misplacing something and laying the blame elsewhere. We've been accused plenty, but that happens anywhere. Safety was also taken very seriously. A few of the guys were super anal about doing everything properly to a T and not cutting corners, even when it involved procedures that had nothing to do with the member.

About the nitrogen tire inflation, it's not just a compressor that inflates with N2 rather than air, but it's actually fairly sophisticated in the sense that it WILL remove as much air in the tire before it re-fills it with N2. It's impossible to get pure N2, but it does its best, and most importantly it's free, member or not.

I understand from a member perspective it can be infuriating to wait so long, and even to have your car delayed when you've made an appointment. But please know that we do bust our asses to get cars done properly and safely, and more often than not our delays are due to the cars themselves. Some members had no idea what a wheel lock was, we'd had to scour the entire car looking for it, 10 minutes wasted. Some rims didn't fit around the hub, contact the member, explain the situation, take the car out, another 10 minutes wasted. Others had lug nuts so badly warped/swollen we couldn't even get them off, same process, 10 minutes wasted. Before you know it, we're delayed 25 minutes over factors outside of our control. And don't forget about being asked every 15 minutes to inflate tires outside. Yes we have to assist with that as well. That's not to say we don't make mistakes too that cost us time, but it does absolutely vary.

And please don't get started on "but Costco tires are inferior!".. They're the EXACT same thing you get anywhere else, this is just a huge misconception and falsity most likely construed by local mechanics and dealers who were losing money because of Costco.

I guess that about does it, I hope I've cleared up some stuff, I'll be happy to answer questions.
Mar 27, 2011
673 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Wait, so is there or is there not free balancing / rotation / whatever? My 10k is coming up soon and I've been reading a ton of threads, can't seem to find any straight forward information on this at all. I bought my all-season tires from costco. I'm almost at 10km on them now. What am I entitled to and what do I need to bring with me? Proof of purchase? Membership card? Free balancing? Free rotation? Free nitrogen? I don't care about the cost or alternatives, I just want to know what my options are.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5884 posts
37 upvotes
anyone pay for the flat repair service?

Does this only entail fixing a hole in the tread or does it also include bead sealing? I have a slow leak probably from a bead seal.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2500 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver
Do they still have this service and for this price? I am not seeing it online.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: Do they still have this service and for this price? I am not seeing it online.
I didn't see the sign or pricing when I went by today and I wasn't going to ask either considering the huge line of people waiting to get their tires done today. ;)

I assume they still offer the services, not sure about the pricing though.....
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15486 posts
4619 upvotes
London
Deal is dead. Multiple posts confirms tires tires must be from Costco only
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2500 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver
Cech wrote: I didn't see the sign or pricing when I went by today and I wasn't going to ask either considering the huge line of people waiting to get their tires done today. ;)

I assume they still offer the services, not sure about the pricing though.....
No worries, I was at costco and walked by the counter and there was no line and asked. Price is now $26.99 still a very good deal as I think other places want at least $20 per tire.
l69norm wrote: Deal is dead. Multiple posts confirms tires tires must be from Costco only
The mechanic asked me if they are costco tires or non costco tires and he quoted me $26.99 when I said non and booked me an appointment. So service seems to be alive in metro vancouver but just not for this price anymore.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: The mechanic asked me if they are costco tires or non costco tires and he quoted me $26.99 when I said non and booked me an appointment. So service seems to be alive in metro vancouver but just not for this price anymore.
Ok, so if you have TPMS that's only a $1 increase, as the old price was $25.99.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2500 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver
Cech wrote: Ok, so if you have TPMS that's only a $1 increase, as the old price was $25.99.

Thanks!

I don't have TPMS, So it could be in the end it is cheaper but I am guessing TPMS would be more expensive as I would hope the guy would quote the price that would fit my vehicle
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1208 posts
839 upvotes
Cech wrote: Ok, so if you have TPMS that's only a $1 increase, as the old price was $25.99.

Thanks!
What does TPMS have to do with the price?
I have it and have never been charged extra for off/on rim winter tire rotation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
profile wrote: What does TPMS have to do with the price?
I have it and have never been charged extra for off/on rim winter tire rotation.
Usually nothing but some systems require a reset between swaps. Check the OP for the original pricing and you'll see.

The following means that the tires are already mounted on two separate sets of rims, so this is basically a rotation. Total price for all 4:

-Rotation, Balance and Nitrogen Inflation: $21.99 for all 4
**Tires must already be mounted on rims

-Rotation, Balance, Nitrogen Inflation and TPMS Reset: $25.99 for all 4
**Tires must already be mounted on rims.